PDA

View Full Version : Somalia - Another front of the war on terrorism?

Kapitan_Phillips
01-10-07, 03:59 PM
After reading about the Somalian responses to the US Air Strikes on suspected Al-Quaeda militants, I have a nasty feeling that Somalia itself may become another front in the 'war on terrorism' - we already have Afghanistan and Iraq, do you think we'll have to commit to Somalia ontop of that?

I'm interested to hear your views :up:

SUBMAN1
01-10-07, 05:12 PM
The UK is doing its part. It is time some countries like France step up to the plate, lest we let them get over-run. THey are already on their way to having major terrorism problems, so maybe they should show their enemy that they aren't playing anymore and commit to helping Somalia.

Heck, even the Canadians are doing a good job!

-S

The Avon Lady
01-10-07, 05:12 PM
You might want to also consider Europe as a major current front.

Many minor fronts, including the land of the Great Satan.

Is Paris burning? I'm just askin'.

bookworm_020
01-10-07, 05:16 PM
I believe that there won't be that big of a commitment by outside forces, other than some air attacks, weapon surpiles and training. It is pretty much contained as a civil war, with ethopia giving support to government forces.

Plus there isn't any major natural resource there, is there??:-?

Sorry about that last line, my cynical nature came out of nowhere!:doh:

SUBMAN1
01-10-07, 05:20 PM

Paris burns on and off. I wish they liked AMerican cars since we could sell a boat load overthere after every riot!

-S

The Avon Lady
01-10-07, 05:22 PM

Paris burns on and off. I wish they liked AMerican cars since we could sell a boat load overthere after every riot!
It takes a lot longer for Cadillacs to burn out before replacing them. So sales would be slow.

SUBMAN1
01-10-07, 05:25 PM

Paris burns on and off. I wish they liked AMerican cars since we could sell a boat load overthere after every riot! It takes a lot longer for Cadillacs to burn out before replacing them. So sales would be slow.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

U-533
01-11-07, 06:04 AM
The UK is doing its part. It is time some countries like France step up to the plate, lest we let them get over-run. THey are already on their way to having major terrorism problems, so maybe they should show their enemy that they aren't playing anymore and commit to helping Somalia.

Heck, even the Canadians are doing a good job!

-S

I was listening to the radio and heard that France is almost 1/3rd Muslim anyway...population wise...so I do not expect much help from them on current terrorist matters.

I am not stating that all Muslims are terrorist nor am I stating that all terrorist are Muslim, but at the present time I have not seen much of any other kind... * clears his throat and steps back from the Microphone

baggygreen
01-11-07, 07:04 AM
U533, id run n hide mate! i think you may've upset some delicate sensibilites!:doh:

But, more seriously, if it is a new front, so be it. These lil *****s will run n hide from one place to another, irrespective of national boundaries, rules and regs. How to stop em? give em no safe place to go, wipe out each safe haven one by one, supporter by supporter. then we can rest.

Konovalov
01-11-07, 07:05 AM
I am not stating that all Muslims are terrorist nor am I stating that all terrorist are Muslim, but at the present time I have not seen much of any other kind...

Thanks. I feel oh so much better now. :-?

baggygreen
01-11-07, 07:13 AM
* clears his throat and steps back from the Microphone [/SIZE]
Well mate, further to before, there are the communist rebels in Nepal, pro-democracy groups in Burma, Falun Gong and its associates in China, and i personally see the drug cartels as terrorists as well - thats in a broader, less specific definition of the word.

UglyMowgli
01-11-07, 07:23 AM
France do here job in fighting terrorism (and quite well but with no publicity) and having 1/3 of musim is a good thing because Islam is not equal terrorism and we have more people speaking and looking arab in your SF than US .
As I repeat since 2001, counter terrorsim did not begin in september 2001, most european country fight it for more than 30 years.
In Somalia there is french SF team since a long time gathering intel and certainly US SF (both coming from Djibouti).

Konovalov
01-11-07, 07:43 AM
* clears his throat and steps back from the Microphone [/size]
Well mate, further to before, there are the communist rebels in Nepal, pro-democracy groups in Burma, Falun Gong and its associates in China, and i personally see the drug cartels as terrorists as well - thats in a broader, less specific definition of the word.

Don't forget the LTTE in Sri Lanka who have used suicide bombings for years going back to the mid 90's with many of them being women. Until the recent Iraq conflict Sri Lanka was top of the table for suicide bombings by a big margin.

The Avon Lady
01-11-07, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the LTTE in Sri Lanka who have used suicide bombings for years going back to the mid 90's with many of them being women. Until the recent Iraq conflict Sri Lanka was top of the table for suicide bombings by a big margin.
There's always room for a silver metal winner.

Konovalov
01-11-07, 09:12 AM

And the bronze medal.

The Avon Lady
01-11-07, 09:22 AM
And the bronze medal.
And Mr. or Ms. Congeniality.

SUBMAN1
01-11-07, 11:35 AM
France do here job in fighting terrorism (and quite well but with no publicity) and having 1/3 of musim is a good thing because Islam is not equal terrorism and we have more people speaking and looking arab in your SF than US .
As I repeat since 2001, counter terrorsim did not begin in september 2001, most european country fight it for more than 30 years.
In Somalia there is french SF team since a long time gathering intel and certainly US SF (both coming from Djibouti).

Still they have done nothing noteworthy on the cause other than criticize everyone else. Then again, maybe that is a tactic to remove scrutiny from the fact that they are doing nothing?

Having some SF's in a country means little. It is doing something about it that means something. Not to pick on your country too much, but they need to step up to the plate since France has the military capability to do some major good.

-S

UglyMowgli
01-11-07, 11:48 AM
Yes your are right, in fact we in France keep the WMD of Saddam in the metroplotitan of aris, OBL is a guest of Chirac at the Elysee and we are training all the youg people from suburds
and we will pay them air ticket to a destination of their choice : A'tan or Iraq.

baggygreen
01-11-07, 05:38 PM
I also left out the Kurds in Turkey