PDA

View Full Version : aww. i cant let go

Morts
01-10-07, 01:42 PM
everytime i try to play a VII carreer i switch to the IX class at some point
mostly after 2-4 patrols
why oh why cant i play a single VII carreer:-? i like the boat, but its like there is something thats missing

elite_hunter_sh3
01-10-07, 01:49 PM
speed and amount of fish???

Morts
01-10-07, 01:52 PM
no, there is something else buggin me
the design maybe :-?

Boris
01-10-07, 01:55 PM
It's the amout of eels the IX has... too tempting. I always thought the VII design looks cooler.

Morts
01-10-07, 02:01 PM
it might be because the VII is smaller
i like big

mookiemookie
01-10-07, 02:05 PM
no, there is something else buggin me
the design maybe :-?

To each his own, but for my money the Type VII is the most beautiful sub ever built. Something about the lines and the way it's put together...I dunno. The whole aesthetic of it.

AVGWarhawk
01-10-07, 02:16 PM
I played the VII for quite some time and then switched to the IXB and love it because it carries more fish and more fuel. It is faster with the upgraded engines. Too me, if I'm heading out I want all the ammo I can get!

Ducimus
01-10-07, 02:45 PM
everytime i try to play a VII carreer i switch to the IX class at some point
mostly after 2-4 patrols
why oh why cant i play a single VII carreer:-? i like the boat, but its like there is something thats missing

Allow me to extend a welcome to the type IXcoholics anonymous. A support group meant to help those in need of those who just can't seem to get their asses out of those big fat floundering seacows.

Joking aside, i think one of the biggest draw's to type9's isn't just the boat by itself. I mean, yea sure, the fuel and torpedo's are big perks. and granted The view from the bridge might make you feel like your in command of a submersable destroyer or something, but i dont think thats it.

I think the biggest draw is in just how campaign games seem to be played out, as compared to a campaign in a type7.

You know what i REALLY dislike about type7's? Absotlutely nothing.

Infact, i love the way they look, i love their handling, i auctally enjoy having to not worry about all those externally stored torpedo's, and only 1 aft tube to worry about. Hence, not always looking for an opportunity to use my aft before my bow torpedos. I like not having to worry about that.

But all that said, i hate using them in campaign games. Nothing is as boring to me as sitting in some grid in the middle of the atlantic, waiting for a convoy to appear. A patrol grid in a type7 is just a formality. Theres really nothing special about a grid in a type7. You go there, you do your 24 hours, and then you move on. Yes, you do the same thing in a type9, however, the getting to the grid in itself is an accomplishment.

A grid in a type9 game, represents an entirely different theater of the war. If you get a CA grid, you know your going to the US East coast. If you get a ED grid, you know your going to the carribean. If you get a ES or ET grid you know your going to freetown, and the areas around the equator. If you get a GR grid, you have my sympathies, but you know your going to capetown an the south atlantic. So although you get a grid, and move on just like a type7 game, the grid itself represents a tangible objective because it represents an entirely new theater in the conflict.

So you have to get there, learn and work the area, and get back. Often patrolling in your theater of operations, you have smaller, more clear cut defnable objectives. Your more apt to find landmarks of one sort or another that create chokepoints or whatnot, that you can clearly see, "now theres an area i should check out". In a type7 career game, it just doesnt feel like that to me. Patrolling the A grids, to me sucks. Just this big body of water, and a whole lot of guesswork, with no destination, or clearly defined objective.

On top of all that, the passage of time to advance the games timeline in a type7 game is acutally longer then in a type9. To me passage of time, advancing later into the war creates a feeling of progression in the game. Now You can play a patrol for a 3 hours a night for 2 or 3 days, and have only advanced the gameclock by a couple of weeks. 30 days at best in a type7. In a type9, ive advanced the gameclock in the same amount of real life time, by about 2 or 3 months.

Wow this got long, i wonder if anyone's acutally gonna read that. lol

melnibonian
01-10-07, 02:55 PM
IX type U-Boats rule:up:

They're a bit big but they carry a lot of torpedoes, with a great patrol range. As soon as I can lay my hands on one of those babies I never let go;) :yep: :up:

darkfin
01-10-07, 02:55 PM
Yep I read it and you're absolutly right. Now that's short and to the point. Now I have to go. I have an IX anonymous meeting to get to.

Jim :up:

Morts
01-10-07, 02:59 PM
Wow this got long, i wonder if anyone's acutally gonna read that. lol

you cant make me change my mind about the IX
never never never *runs out to dock and yells "flank speed get us as fast as possib away from ducimus, the type IX hater (j/k)"*

andy_311
01-10-07, 05:56 PM
The other thing in a IX boat you can go all the way to the states and back and some decient firepower. not like the VIIc half way there and back home we go.

jasonsagert
01-11-07, 05:00 AM
Ducimus: you have just articulated what I haven't been able to explain to myself for a long time :up: I have really loved playing type vii careers and think that they are the best looking u-boats, but I get bored as hell. Every patrol is the same.

I long for those far away places. Trying to figure out where the ships are. Hell, I've just finished patroling in grid GO in my IXD2 (sank two ships there, thank you :D) and am headed towards GR. I finally put down the IXC's and went for the real thing. Hell, I play one patrol per week as I don't generally go beyond 256 TC unless I'm REALLY bored--and I only have a couple hours in the evening to play. Of course, one patrol for me is generally around 3 months game time.

BUT, all day I'm at work thinking about that patrol. Where should I head next?, How much fuel I have?, etc. You HAVE to manage your torps and fuel. I love it.

It's early 43' (first patrol with the IXD2)--i can't wait to be transfered to Panang. It's exciting heading into the unknown. Plus, being an IX captain really has the feel of being a pirate :arrgh!:--and who doesn't like that?

J

Abd_von_Mumit
01-11-07, 05:11 AM
Yesterday I've started my first GWX patrol as a IX type captain. My crew wrote, prepared and sang — especially for me — a song about the boat on Carmina Burana melody. Here you have the lyrics:

It's a big boat
Very big boat
It's a big boat we're in!

It's a big boat
Mein Gott it's big
Can't believe how big it is!

It's a big boat
Unser u-boot!
It's just so freaking huge!!

It's a big boat
Expensive boat
This boat better sink some bloo-ooo-ooody Brits!!!

For those who liked the lyrics I prepared a small clip of my crew singing:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2782773811505667362&q=big+ad ;)

Regards, Leutnant z.S. Abd von Mumit. :)

peterloo
01-11-07, 05:47 AM
Type IX rocks!!! (especially in early war, which you have less need in crash diving) :rock:

Type VII seems cool, but its relatively small fuel and torpedo makes your patrol short... But anyway, you can start your next patrol earier... :D

If I were a commander, I hate the resupply boat most... Easy target for enemy DDs:down:

Corsair
01-11-07, 05:53 AM
@ Abd von Mumit :

Great video... LOL

:up:

Syxx_Killer
01-11-07, 09:18 AM
For those who liked the lyrics I prepared a small clip of my crew singing:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2782773811505667362&q=big+ad ;)

Regards, Leutnant z.S. Abd von Mumit. :)

Cool video! That took allot of work. Looks more like the whole kriegsmarine! Either that or you have some super-huge secret sub...:hmm:

Syxx_Killer
01-11-07, 09:20 AM
Allow me to extend a welcome to the type IXcoholics anonymous. A support group meant to help those in need of those who just can't seem to get their asses out of those big fat floundering seacows.

Joking aside, ...

Your post is a very good description of the Type IX. I haven't used it much. Very rarely. I think I may start using it again. I have mainly used the Type II and VII. Maybe that's why the game got so incredibly boring for me. All those different areas of operation sound interesting... except for, well, that South Atlantic one.:doh:

GT182
01-11-07, 09:31 AM
Yes Type VIIs look great but I have to agree with Ducimus, they are beautiful. But yes some of us are are IXcoholics. And after using the IXD/2 I guess that makes me a IXD/2coholic.

Now if the subnet cutter could be fitted to and IX's bow, we'd have a real pretty sub too. But pretty doesn't always cut it. LOL It's what the IX boats can carry and deliver that keeps us glued to her. ;)

Camaero
01-11-07, 09:34 AM
I hate to say it but, in all of my years of owning SHIII, I have never ventured out of the North Atlantic area!:nope:

I would love to check out Italy or the Caribbean some time. Event the Staue of Liberty. I never been to NY before. :lol:

mookiemookie
01-11-07, 09:38 AM
After my last career got corrupted and I had to do a complete reinstall :nope: I decided on a Type IX career. I'm actually beginning to see why you guys like it so much. I left Wilhelmshaven on April 2, 1940. I patrolled all up and down the coast of Norway during the invasion, but had nothing to really show for it. It's now May 10th and I'm off the Orkneys, picked on a small convoy, put a couple lone DD's on the bottom, etc...blah blah

Point is, it really feels like it's been 2 or 3 patrols. And I've been everywhere, from the Ofotfjord and Narvik to my patrol grid off of Bergen, to Lerwick and now to the mouth of the North Channel. I've been all over! You're right, I do feel like a pirate: Mookie, the Scourge of the North Atlantic! :arrgh!:

Jimbuna
01-11-07, 11:20 AM
If it wasn't for the fact I'm posting from my office pc I'd post a few of my previous IX sigs.
Type IX :rock:

dean_acheson
01-11-07, 11:55 AM
The type IX is more like a fleet boat, that is why I like it better.

The VII is too small for me.

johan_d
01-11-07, 11:58 AM
On boat choice its often: whatever the problem is, the answer is more power!

But still on V11B here, and I like her very much.

AVGWarhawk
01-11-07, 01:03 PM
IX is so round, so firm, so fully packed!!!:rock:

Ducimus
01-11-07, 01:18 PM
I hate to say it but, in all of my years of owning SHIII, I have never ventured out of the North Atlantic area!:nope:

I would love to check out Italy or the Caribbean some time. Event the Staue of Liberty. I never been to NY before. :lol:

Carribean? I love this video by stabiz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pgUIRL_18U

RE: The whole pirate thing.

I never mentioned that, but you guys are right. i mean.. why else did i play around in the Gimp and come up with this uboat emblem.
http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/MY_Ua.jpg

Then of course theres umm.. yeah..

The ahh Black Peril leaves Port Royalle... (i mean Durban harbor :88) , and yes that is a liner you see in the background)
http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/u-196/p1-9.jpg

Left a bit of a mess behind me :roll:
http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/u-196/p1-10.jpg

This By the way, was 110 days at sea.
http://www.ducimus.net/sh3/u-196/patrol1.jpg

Brag
01-11-07, 01:52 PM
My views:

Type II -- Nice boat.
If one economizes fuel on the way out, one has enough for a few high speed dashes. The boat requires a cunning commander. I good boat to wonder if one will have enough fuel to return home.

Type VII -- Excellent boat, has good range, fast-enough diver. Good load of torpedoes; probably the most versatile of sumbies.

Type IX -- Slow to dive. Grrr. But this bus will take you places. On the bridge, you do get the feel of commanding a large ship. I'm on my first career in GWX with a type VIIB. Hoarding renown to get a type IX sumbie ASAP. I like world travel :smug: