PDA

View Full Version : Spc Ops?

flyingdane
01-10-07, 02:46 AM
Has Any one seen the movie "Up Periscope" Staring James Garner,Edmond o brien, and Alan Hale JR?. When they put a commando ashore on some japanese held island to take photoes of the japanese code books, (a spc-ops) Type of thing.?

Do you think silent hunter 4 will have that kind of thing? :yep:

Sailor Steve
01-10-07, 11:18 AM
I saw it in the theater way back in 1959. Also read the book around then.

Don't remember much about it, though, except that I liked it.

As far as SH4, we won't know for sure until we see it (unless they tell us, of course).

TDK1044
01-10-07, 11:33 AM
Has Any one seen the movie "Up Periscope" Staring James Garner,Edmond o brien, and Alan Hale JR?. When they put a commando ashore on some japanese held island to take photoes of the japanese code books, (a spc-ops) Type of thing.?

Do you think silent hunter 4 will have that kind of thing? :yep:

Put simply.....no. Silent Hunter 4 is a sub sim and I think you're descibing a different type of game. Who knows, there may well be a mission where we have to pick up or drop off some commandos, but their mission wouldn't be controlled as part of this game.

AVGWarhawk
01-10-07, 11:47 AM
I believe there will be pilot rescues in SH4.

Boris
01-10-07, 01:49 PM
One of the dev videos quite clearly shows combat soldiers on the front of a sub, I won't draw any conclusions as to what this menas though.

LeafsFan
01-10-07, 02:33 PM
We'll have to wait and see

HB

Safe-Keeper
01-10-07, 02:48 PM
Well, if you've played Call of Duty, you'll know that one single commando is enough to overpower and cripple an entire German battleship, so a whole squad of them should be enough to take over a harbour or two. Should be interesting.

TheSatyr
01-12-07, 06:15 PM
An entire squad of "Call of Duty" type soldiers could conquer Japan all by themselves.:rotfl:

Back to the topic,I thought I read somewhere that SH4 will probably have insertion and extraction missions. I imagine those kinds of missions would be rather rare though.

Safe-Keeper
01-12-07, 07:41 PM
An entire squad of "Call of Duty" type soldiers could conquer Japan all by themselvesNot to mention that Allied vehicles can take a thousand times more damage than their Axis counterparts. At least, the one you are in can.

I hope commando extraction missions, and all missions for that matter, can be scripted, too, like "if you're in port between April-June 1943, you will get a mission to patrol the Midway area or insert commandos to this and that location or take photos of this shipyard. It'd be really helpful.

The Noob
01-12-07, 08:37 PM
damn i want sh4 so hard! I want it all right now! :dead:

Sorry i had to say that.. :damn:

iambecomelife
01-12-07, 10:06 PM
Well, if you've played Call of Duty, you'll know that one single commando is enough to overpower and cripple an entire German battleship, so a whole squad of them should be enough to take over a harbour or two. Should be interesting.

Semi - OT: You put the finger on one of the things I cannot stand about modern PC games, especially FPS's. Don't they ever get tired of making the player a member of some super-secret spec-ops squad who is going to win the war single-handedly? It's nothing but juvenile narcissism. If everyone was in spec-ops they wouldn't be very special, would they? It would be far more satisfying if more games had the player as an average joe infantryman, for instance, and special ops membership had to be earned/unlocked based on performance.

I don't need an uber-elite or commanding role in order to enjoy a game - In fact it woul dbe interesting for SH4 if you had to earn the right to command a submarine of your own and started out as the boat's XO, although that would obviously be very difficult to simulate.

Schatten
01-12-07, 11:12 PM
It would be far more satisfying if more games had the player as an average joe infantryman, for instance, and special ops membership had to be earned/unlocked based on performance.

The problem with making a game like that is that average Joe infantryman spends a lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing. Either that or you get set piece battles where not a lot of what you do means much in the grand scheme of things. That frustrates people and results in people not wanting to play those sort of games.

Then again I'm massochistic so think a WWI infantry simulator would be interesting as all get out. Although careers would probably be shorter than playing GWX and never ever submerging the boat. :hmm:

Schatten
01-12-07, 11:18 PM
Here's some info on the Raider attack on Makin Island as well.

http://www.usmarineraiders.org/makin.html

Safe-Keeper
01-13-07, 03:23 PM
Call of Duty has 90% of its missions feature you as just another grunt. And it's still a great game, with pretty much every critic I've listened to agreeing the commando raid missions where you obliterate an entire facility alone are game-play-ruining.

X-Wing Alliance and other simulators also have you be just another pilot in many missions, merely part of a bigger operation. And they're still fun.

One Man Army games are the ones to get tiring fast.

The problem with making a game like that is that average Joe infantryman spends a lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing.You mean like in this sub game called Silent Hunter III;)?

Schatten
01-13-07, 05:18 PM
No because in Silent Hunter you're the captain, there's always something to be doing when you're the captain. Unless of course you play 1x...but that's a whole other ballgame.

Until a FPS type game comes out and makes you an E-1 rifleman, issues you a pack of virtual cards, some virtual Tabasco sauce to put on everything possible, and a bore brush to clean your virtual M-16 everytime you turn around then the "nothing" areas aren't really comparable. :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
01-13-07, 05:25 PM
"Yeah, Jake, I'm playin' this new WW2 infantry sim. I just spent three weeks hangin' around waiting for orders; now we're movin' out. They say we may see some action soon. I been in this war for four months now and I haven't seen a single Kraut since D-Day, and I was lucky I survived that one.

"Take out pillboxes? Hell, no!. I just kept my head down and prayed! Killed guys? Well, I think I may have got one once, but I'm not sure. I've had a couple buddies die. Of course in this game if you get wounded once you get sent home and it's over. I been lucky so far."

Safe-Keeper
01-13-07, 06:02 PM
No because in Silent Hunter you're the captain, there's always something to be doing when you're the captain.Oh? Because unless you play in 1943 or later, in which case much of the game is comprised of diving when found by aircraft, it's largelly sitting there reading a book, doing your homework or playing with the dog with the game at x1024 time compression.

This thread's gotten slightly off-topic. But only slightly;).

elanaiba
01-13-07, 06:11 PM
"Take out pillboxes? Hell, no!. I just kept my head down and prayed! Killed guys? Well, I think I may have got one once, but I'm not sure. "

Sounds like Flashpoint, which I enjoyed a lot (unlike COD).

Falcon666
01-13-07, 09:26 PM
I always wondered when playing Operation Flashpoint: "Why can't I just drive the truck and nothing happens? I know I'm going to get ambushed, just because I'm driving a truck in a convoy." And Operation Flashpoint is a decent simulation. In Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and the likes you can't even go to the post-office next to home without having to gun down 100 krauts.

As for our actual topic: I think I'd enjoy the change of handling infil/exfil for a SpecOp, but I don't see it being too hard. In SHIII, even with GWX, I could drop a guy off on Manhattan Island in my VII.

bookworm_020
01-14-07, 07:53 PM
I could see the spec Ops requiring us to drop off and pick up agents and coastwatches around the pacific. Maybe even recon teams before a major landing.

I don't see us laying off shore, giving fire support to an attacking force.

Schatten
01-14-07, 11:57 PM
I could see the spec Ops requiring us to drop off and pick up agents and coastwatches around the pacific. Maybe even recon teams before a major landing.

I don't see us laying off shore, giving fire support to an attacking force.

That's pretty much how I see things happening too. After Makin there weren't any large unit deployments by subs so that pretty much limits covert landings/pickups to coastwatchers and OSS sorts.

Using a sub for shore bombardment isn't usually a very good idea, unless of course you're going after a giant ferris wheel, a pier and a Lee medium tank...

:arrgh!: