PDA

View Full Version : Im Finding GWX destroyers tricky, any ideas?

bookworm_020
01-09-07, 07:39 PM
I've been haveing problems ditching destroyers in GWX after they detect me, has anyone found a good way to get rid of them?? (I've already torpedoed and sunk a couple out of pure revenge, so other don't suggest it!)

Ducimus
01-09-07, 07:53 PM
Run Deep, run silent, and watch your aspect.

IRONxMortlock
01-09-07, 07:53 PM
I've been haveing problems ditching destroyers in GWX after they detect me, has anyone found a good way to get rid of them?? (I've already torpedoed and sunk a couple out of pure revenge, so other don't suggest it!)
I've been able to get away every time in GWX by moving slow, quiet and deep.

By Slow, I mean 2kts max.
By Quiet, I mean silent running
By Deep, I mean as deep as your sub will go (200m+).

Once you're doing this try to get the lowest possible profile exposed to the destroyer (i.e. manuever to keep your stern or bow pointed at them rather than your broadside.)

Be patient and keep this up until you are well out of the way. Good luck!
________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://vaporizers.net/mflb)

TriskettheKid
01-09-07, 08:09 PM
I find that, during harbor attacks, that I'm pretty much dead unless I do one of several things:

1. Bottom the boat completely. I can't tell you how many times this has caved my life because the DDs who are DCing me space them too far apart. Eventually they run out of DCs and I can continue on my way.

2. Change your depth often. Doing this will have the DDs set their DCs for levels either too deep or too shallow.

3. Change direction often.

4. Use any other boat for cover. If you're in a deep enough harbor, find a larger vessel (BB, merchant, etc) and bottom your boat beneath it. This prevents the DD from touching you. If you're lucky, the DD may even accidentally ram the boat that's covering you.

5. Use the DDs search patterns to your advantage. If you've got two on you, I can't tell you how helpful it is to mess up the DDs. If you can move enough to make the DDs cross paths close enough, you'll either get one DD DCing the other, or one slowing down during a DC, thereby blowing up the rear of their own vessel, etc.

6. FOR HARBOR ATTACKS: Get INTO the docks. The DDs no longer have enough room for DC runs, and you can wait it out by using a little creative maneuvering.

Ducimus
01-09-07, 08:31 PM
RE harbor attacks. Ive found ones odds of success substantially improve by first bottoming any offending Tin Can via an electric torpedo as your opening shot.

Iron Budokan
01-09-07, 08:46 PM
Surface and shoot it out with them using only your flak gun. It makes the destroyer crews laugh so hard at your audacious foolishness you are then able to slip away while tears are rolling down their faces.

stabiz
01-09-07, 08:52 PM
:rotfl:

SilverGhost
01-10-07, 12:44 AM
As already suggested...run very silent and run very deep. After firing the torps, reverse course 180 and get the hell out of Dodge...don't stick around and watch the fireworks.

Attack at night or going into the late hours...preferably under good swells and light fog. Dawn attacks are pulling the dragon's tail and flat, glassy seas are really bad for you - great for the DD's. Attack in deep water...if you're near the coastal shoals, abort...there will be other times and better places.

Pick and choose your attacks...you don't have to attack everytime.

Koinonos
01-10-07, 03:46 AM
Just a sanity check for bookworm. The Dec 28th GWX update fixes a bug where running silent fails to lower the propeller rotation to under 100rpm.

Otherwise GWX pre-Dec 28th update you are *very* detectable.

Pants
01-10-07, 03:51 AM
This is why i mainly operate in open deep water - better chance to go deep, go slient, i only go through the english channel or Gib if the weather favours me...night time and real crappy weather..i surface and run the gauntlet, 9 times out of 10 i make it, but this gradually declines as the war continues.
My advice is use the Elements to your Advantage, always attack convoys at night time ,dusk or dawn and in rough weather as ASDIC is not as effective the rougher the sea state.
Hope that helps :arrgh!:

Mooncatt
01-10-07, 04:16 AM
just going back to harbour attacks, in vanilla sh3 this wasnt too hard and i dont have GWX just yet, what i want to know is it a little suicidal attacking harbour in GWX coz from what ive been reading the DD`s are uber and with no depth to the water im thinking this could cut a few careers short:hmm:

Pants
01-10-07, 04:23 AM
If you use the Time/weather to your advantage you should have little or no problem (early years ) with port raiding.

Tijn
01-10-07, 04:51 AM
I'm januari 1942 now with my GWX campaign and if i go deep (180 meters or less) and run @ 2 kts i have no problems evading them.

PS: i wasted 2 destroyers last night with falke torpedoes. Have they become more efficient with GWX, or is it just me? The Falkes i mean.

Grtz Tijn

Corsair
01-10-07, 05:01 AM
just going back to harbour attacks, in vanilla sh3 this wasnt too hard and i dont have GWX just yet, what i want to know is it a little suicidal attacking harbour in GWX coz from what ive been reading the DD`s are uber and with no depth to the water im thinking this could cut a few careers short:hmm:

Just do what U-boats did : don't raid harbours...:D

melnibonian
01-10-07, 05:12 AM
I have raided a couple of harbours in GWX but it is mighty difficult and very dangerous. Usually I try to go into deep harbours in order to avoid the DDs if they find out where I am. After 1943-44 though getting in and out of a port alive it's a huge achivement.

Tijn
01-10-07, 05:12 AM

Just do what U-boats did : don't raid harbours...:D

What he says. I never raid harbor's because it wasn't done that much and it is to tricky later in war.

Only last night i thought about taking a peek in Freetown because i was real close near the harbour. But after i found out that the water was 11 meters deep around the i went back. It's just not worth it. I told myself that this time i'm going to make it till the end :lol: . No big risks anymore.

Grtz Tijn

JU_88
01-10-07, 06:37 AM
I had some touble last night from a black swan and flower that just wouldnt let me go, they kept aquiring me with ASDIC.
I was at silent running at 205 meters - just 10 meters short of my IXBs Crush depth :lol: , I was changing course costantly, but it didnt do any good, although i seemed to be out of reach of their DC as they dropped them right over me every time - but i recieved no damage.
Then I tried cutting out my engines altogether and they lost me! swung around and returned to the convoy.

Brag
01-10-07, 01:35 PM
I did two GWX test patrols in 1942. DDs were using hunter killer tactics (one listening while the other made his DC run. In bad weather they will also come in behind you. I took some risks and got clobbered.

I'm now on 3rd patrol of new, 1939 career. The DDs will drop spot on on the location they had you spotted or where you crashdived. so you got to dive deep fast.

When they drop, go into flank speed just long enough to get away from the DCs. The moment you reach 7kts, go into silent running and change course. Chances are good that you will sneak away. :roll:

Mav87th
01-10-07, 03:41 PM
One trick for you if your spottet surfaced, or the periscope is seen. Order flank speed either on the surface or submerged.

Now if your placed outside the convoy(say on the side and is spotted durring the overtake) head away from the convoy by 90 degrees. When the distance between you and the nearest DD is about 9000m take a measurement of him and get his speed. now start your stopwatch and Crash dive. Right after you reach about 15 meters start a turn to the heading of the convoy and level the dive off at around 20 meters (about 90 degree right if your placed in the convoys left side and vica verca) - This would have the DD bearing in on the "last known spot" of the u-boot, with a search pattern starting off in the u-boots "last known direction of travel" - your high speed underwater combined with the 90 degree turn will let you get pretty far away from that spot before you have to lower your speed.

Now the speed and danger of being picked up by sound location. From my experiences you can stay in flank untill the DD is about 4000-3500m from you without being picked up - AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT SUBMERGED TO MUCH - hench leveling off at 20 meters or shallower. I usually run back up to periscope depth to take a glance now and then at the DD. But thats not necessary as you started the stopwatch - just use the nomograph/sheets with distance pr. min and figure out how long time you have untill the DD is 4000m away from you (the spot), then when you hit that time you lower the speed to 2 knots.

If your inside the Convoy and spotted fx. durring a surface night attack, same procedure as above, only start off by heading the opposite direction of the convoy, dive and make a 90 degree to the side that is away from the closest DD. Now at the time that you have to lower to 2 kts make another 90 to the heading of the convoy. An alternative method is to crashdive to 150meters heading opposite the direction of the nearest DD and then at 150 go 2 kts and head in the direction of the convoy still diving untill about 200m depth. The trick about getting to 200 is to do it FAST.

A trick i have not tested thoroughly yet is when pinged by a couple of DD's in the depth of a shallower place (might be 100m to the buttom). Drop the jammer devices and flank the boat while climbing for 1 min. then silent again with a 45 or 90 degree turn. But i have to succed with that a lot more to know it to be a "safe bet"