PDA

View Full Version : A type XXI question

LeafsFan
01-08-07, 02:04 PM
I believe that SH3 cmdr allows a type XXI as early as fall of 44. I realiza that is not historic, but here is a question. Have any of you vets who have the guts to sail in 43 and 44 tried to fight in a XXI? What is the experience compared to similar fighting in a schnorchel equipped VII??

HB

STEED
01-08-07, 02:23 PM
Six bow torpedo's tubes and faster under water speed 17.2 knots faster than the surface 15.6 knots.

Letum
01-08-07, 02:31 PM
Enough underwater range to get out of Biscay without ever going to periscope depth.
Hydrophones so sensitive that you can attack with out exposing your periscope to enemy radar at all.
Torpedo tubes that launch at 50m depth.

As long as you never surface at all, only use diesels and the snorkel for charging batteries and attack convoys from below 40m depth you are almost invincible.

The blueprints for the IXX existed before the war, but the project was put on hold due to lack of funding. This means that starting with a IXX in 1941 would only require a few small changes in history to be historically correct. ;)

Fidd
01-08-07, 09:47 PM
Hydrophones so sensitive that you can attack with out exposing your periscope to enemy radar at all.

In practice, how do you do that? Set the pericope to 360 and start firing at 10 degrees off the bow? (assuming beam on)

mookiemookie
01-08-07, 09:53 PM
The blueprints for the IXX existed before the war, but the project was put on hold due to lack of funding. This means that starting with a IXX in 1941 would only require a few small changes in history to be historically correct. ;)
Actually, what I read just recently was that the Type XXI project was in place but put on hold in '41, not because of lack of funding, but due to the fact that they thought they'd have the war won within a year or two. (Actually, you may be right...that fact alone may have caused the lack of funding) By the time they realized they wouldn't have the war won (In mid to late '43) it was really too late to get the XXI off the drawing board and into production in significant numbers.

TriskettheKid
01-08-07, 09:56 PM
I just fooled around with the .cfg files in order to get the XXI in 1939, and let me tell you, I made a ****ing mistake.

My tactics are so based around harbor entry that the XXI hinders me. I mean, I'm used to using a VII or a II and sneaking into Scapa Flow, yet with the XXI, the depths I usually travel at leave me way to vulnerable for such shallow ports. Whereas I'd be fine traveling at 16m in a VII, and more than fine in a II, I'm barely deep enough to submerge my conning tower in the XXI.

Ducimus
01-08-07, 09:58 PM
I hate the type XXI. Makes everything too easy. It's too much like a modern submarine- an area that i have exactly zero intrest in.

mookiemookie
01-08-07, 10:19 PM
I hate the type XXI. Makes everything too easy. It's too much like a modern submarine- an area that i have exactly zero intrest in.

:yep::up:

You hit the nail on the head with me. I have never used a XXI in SH3, and I doubt I ever will.

stabiz
01-08-07, 10:24 PM
I never got mine to work, it was slower than the duck, bigger than the Illustrious, and even less responsive than the sea cows. Not my cup of tea at all.

Zero Niner
01-09-07, 02:13 AM
Enough underwater range to get out of Biscay without ever going to periscope depth.
Torpedo tubes that launch at 50m depth.

As long as you never surface at all, only use diesels and the snorkel for charging batteries and attack convoys from below 40m depth you are almost invincible.

In practice, how do you do that? Set the pericope to 360 and start firing at 10 degrees off the bow? (assuming beam on) Interesting. Just how does one use a Type XXI in SH3, taking full advantage of its capabilities, as opposed to using it like a glorified Type VII/IX?

Mooncatt
01-09-07, 03:42 AM
ive only ever used it in MP with my mate, i only wanted to see what it was like and it is very very big, it was very easy to sink ships and the torps loaded in a matter of mins due the huge amount of crew. i have no quarrels with it but i can see it would be hard to use in the shallows

Letum
01-09-07, 06:28 AM
To get firing solution you need bearing and range two points in time. Then you just need some simple geometry and maths to get AOB and speed.
Normally you get all of this with the periscope.
With the IXX you get bearing with the hydrophones and range with the active sonar.

The only disadvantage is that you need to do it at least twice and it takes practice to get good situational awareness just through sound.

Mooncatt
01-09-07, 06:35 AM
sounds like good practice and sounds like more fun than simple auto targeting but again sounds like it takes a lot of practice :D

Letum
01-09-07, 07:19 AM
sounds like good practice and sounds like more fun than simple auto targeting but again sounds like it takes a lot of practice :D

Worth learning... http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

Mooncatt
01-09-07, 07:32 AM
quality thanx im gonna take time out and learn this as it seems to add a new dimension to the game for me, im probably a bit behind the times on this :)

JScones
01-12-07, 10:02 PM
I believe that SH3 cmdr allows a type XXI as early as fall of 44. I realiza that is not historic, but here is a question. Have any of you vets who have the guts to sail in 43 and 44 tried to fight in a XXI? What is the experience compared to similar fighting in a schnorchel equipped VII??

HB
As early as fall 1944??? Assuming that you are using the "historic availability dates" option, it's actually July 1944 before you can get one, but don't expect to use it until 259 days later.

Oh, and if this wasn't historic, why is the feature called "Use historic u-boat availability dates". ;)

Austig
01-13-07, 02:34 AM
I just fooled around with the .cfg files in order to get the XXI in 1939, and let me tell you, I made a ****ing mistake.

My tactics are so based around harbor entry that the XXI hinders me. I mean, I'm used to using a VII or a II and sneaking into Scapa Flow, yet with the XXI, the depths I usually travel at leave me way to vulnerable for such shallow ports. Whereas I'd be fine traveling at 16m in a VII, and more than fine in a II, I'm barely deep enough to submerge my conning tower in the XXI.

say.... for example I wanted to do that, how would I do it? what files would i need to change etc??

:oops:

Letum
01-13-07, 09:16 AM

say.... for example I wanted to do that, how would I do it? what files would i need to change etc??

:oops:

Do what?

Jimbuna
01-13-07, 12:37 PM
Try playing a single player mission and you can pick any boat type of your choice to see how it 'feels' :hmm:

melnibonian
01-13-07, 08:03 PM
Try playing a single player mission and you can pick any boat type of your choice to see how it 'feels' :hmm:
Oh XXI 'feels' wonderful Jim :p :D :D