PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the U-boat I want?

TriskettheKid
01-07-07, 08:18 PM
Hi again. I know I asked this before, for those of you who read my last topic, but I took some advice and asked my question in the title.

I'm using GWX, but I'd like to know how I can change things in order to, after one patrol (or even from the get-go) get the U-boat I want.

I really want to try out some of the Late-War U-boats at an earlier point of the war.

azn_132
01-07-07, 09:08 PM
Hi again. I know I asked this before, for those of you who read my last topic, but I took some advice and asked my question in the title.

I'm using GWX, but I'd like to know how I can change things in order to, after one patrol (or even from the get-go) get the U-boat I want.

I really want to try out some of the Late-War U-boats at an earlier point of the war.

well then change our Cfgs but if ur usein SH3C then I dont know.

TriskettheKid
01-07-07, 09:10 PM
I'm not using SH3C.

Just which .cfg file do I change? I don't want to make it permanent, I just want to change the boat on one of my profiles.

azn_132
01-07-07, 09:13 PM
I'm not using SH3C.

Just which .cfg file do I change? I don't want to make it permanent, I just want to change the boat on one of my profiles.

Main.cfg I think in the Cfg foler or in the SH3 foler in ur My docs.

TriskettheKid
01-07-07, 09:47 PM
Ok, but that only tells me which .cfg file. What parameter do I change?

azn_132
01-07-07, 09:49 PM

Ask somebody that mod stuff I only know the basics.

TriskettheKid
01-07-07, 10:00 PM
Ask somebody that mod stuff I only know the basics.

But your suggestiong would make it permanent. I know I'd have to make such a change through the SH3 savegame, in order to keep the change from being permanent within the game.

I looked in the Patrols_0.cfg file for one of my profiles (early 1945), and I found the following lines:
StartLocation=755
EndLocation=755
SubType=1
SubVersion=2
SubName=U-1055
PatrolArea=AN62

Of particular interest are SubType and SubVersion, because I think those are the ones I have to change.

Any ideas as to what numbers correspond with what Boat?

TriskettheKid
01-07-07, 11:19 PM
Alright, so I found that changing SubType and SubVersion were the right things to do.

Problem is, when I load up the career, I get the body of the boat I want, but the upper deck configurations of another boat. For example, I tried to give myself the XXI in 1941. I had the body of the XXI, but there was a 2x30 flak on the bridge, directly in front of the UZO, as well as my scopes.

Maybe it was my fault because I used SubType=3 and SubVersion=0.

What could be causing this?

JScones
01-08-07, 03:04 AM
Alright, so I found that changing SubType and SubVersion were the right things to do.

Problem is, when I load up the career, I get the body of the boat I want, but the upper deck configurations of another boat. For example, I tried to give myself the XXI in 1941. I had the body of the XXI, but there was a 2x30 flak on the bridge, directly in front of the UZO, as well as my scopes.

Maybe it was my fault because I used SubType=3 and SubVersion=0.

What could be causing this?
Reading the multitude of "XXI in 1939" threads will explain your problem plus answer your original question. Basically, if you give yourself a u-boat at a time that it wasn't historically available, then you have to change the availability dates of most, if not all, of the equipment that hangs off it. You'll find these settings in Basic.cfg.

You may like to familiarise yourself with Basic.cfg - it decodes the SubType and SubVersion indexes and will answer most of your questions regarding same.

Paajtor
01-08-07, 03:29 AM
You might just as well start using SH3Commander.:up:
It will give you the option of selecting year and Uboat-type, within historical limits if you want.
Untill GWX was released, I had never used SH3C, because I always wanted to keep things simple.
Then I was looking for a way to set no-fatigue in GWX, and someone adviced me to give SH3C a go.
So I did, and I never will go back.:D

Take a look at it's options, in the readme (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/SH3Cmdr%20Help.html)...maybe it's enough to convince you, even if you can't set it to use a typeXXI in '41? (haven't tried myself).