PDA

View Full Version : Countless blows to PC gaming??

AJ!
01-06-07, 06:36 PM
Hey all

Has anyone noticed how insanly expensive it is to keep a pc up to gaming standards now days

Every few weeks theres a new graphics card out boasting its the best of the best with cinimatic visuals, or a new processor stating that the previous model is nothing by comparison, which is incredably dishardning for anyone who was set back a few hundred by buying the previous model

Of course with every new piece of hardware that come out the price tag near doubles as well.... i mean its about $600 for a Geforce 8800 :nope: and once youve forked out for that an even better card is out at twice the price with a new game with twice the demand that makes your card near obsolete..

I recently purchased a alienware computer at one hell of a price with the hope it would guarantee me high graphics in all games for at least the next two years...... of course i then saw games like crysis which i doubt even this is going to find fun to try run with graphics maxed out:down:

And theres the worst thought that the games are just going to get more and more demanding after that...... Fair play the games are getting more realistic but the hardware just doesnt keep up, and neither does my wallet

Konovalov
01-06-07, 06:45 PM
I just built my own cool and quiet rig for right on GBP £1000.00. My specs are as per this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102328

It has loads of overclocking headroom and I only spent £100 on the graphics card which is also overclock friendly. The only thing I plan on upgrading within the next couple of years is the graphics card to a DX10 card after the current expensive crop of 1st generation DX10 compliant cards such as the 8800GTX which sells for a ridiculous £350 to £400! Apart from this I will add another 2GB of fast memory when I upgrade to Vista OS giving me 4GB worth.

nightdagger
01-07-07, 12:36 AM
A computer (or anything for that matter) shouldn't be compared to something that is released after it. All that should count is that you have fun with it.

That being said, if you keep up with hardware news it's a lot less overwhelming because you knew, for example, that nVidia would release their 8800 series around December and ATi will release their X2800 series within about a month, several months before the fact.

It helps to know beforehand that you'll be pwnt.

Gizzmoe
01-07-07, 02:02 AM
Has anyone noticed how insanly expensive it is to keep a pc up to gaming standards now days
It was never inexpensive to keep a PC up to the latest gaming standards. Nowadays computer upgrades can be actually less expensive than they were like 8+ years ago.

By the way, people who buy Alienware PC´s shouldn´t be allowed to complain about how "insanely expensive" things are, after all you paid 40-50% more than you would have for a custom-built PC or a PC from another vendor.

The Munster
01-07-07, 07:32 AM
It's a bit of a sticky one, technology is moving so quickly that the wallet can't keep up but a nvidia 8800 price tagged at £399 here, who can afford that ? Lottery winners ? [certainly not toilet cleaners]. It will be interesting to see the price tag for this in a years time when it will also be deemed as outdated at the rate things are going.
My first Computer was outdated 10 months after I bought it but the Salesman did see me coming, telling me all the stuff that it had, all the terminology sounded like a foreign language at the time.

U-533
01-07-07, 07:55 AM
My computer is 10 years old:huh:

It has been upgraded 5 times...:o

I sat down and counted the cost of another upgrade so I can play SH3 and 4...:damn:

I may as well save another $600 and buy a computer with a warranty and room for more stuuff to add on.:sunny: Then I will keep this one for storage.:rock: :up:

Spoon 11th
01-07-07, 08:14 AM
1. Never buy the newest hardware. Wait at least a year from introduction. (Means buy only mid-prized stuff.)
2. Don't upgrade more frequently than every 4 years or so.

Those are my advices to myself.

The Noob
01-07-07, 08:36 AM
Its damn expensive. I have a 4 year old PC and it totally sucks compared to todays standards. It can hardly run the stuff i want it to run. But i should be thankful, some people on the internet have less that 1,8 ghz... :o

STEED
01-07-07, 12:48 PM
My Computer is now two years old and I will be doing some upgrading that is needed too run SH4. I think the price of games are a rip off and buy very few of them, this is the trouble with technology it's moving so fast because too many folks want to be bang up to date and will pay the high price. We all should say no I am not paying those prices, if enough people in the world said that you watch the prices fall.

Gizzmoe
01-07-07, 01:11 PM
We all should say no I am not paying those prices, if enough people in the world said that you watch the prices fall.

No one is forcing you to buy an ultra-high-end card like the 8800GTX, there are enough much less expensive, yet very good cards on the market.

STEED
01-07-07, 01:30 PM
We all should say no I am not paying those prices, if enough people in the world said that you watch the prices fall.

No one is forcing you to buy an ultra-high-end card like the 8800GTX, there are enough much less expensive, yet very good cards on the market.

That's true Gizzmoe, but there are plenty of folks who will. It's the old saying (Keeping up with the Joneses) and I know plenty of folk who believe in that thinking.

fredbass
01-07-07, 01:43 PM
Yes, it does seem like an endless battle.

I know it's tough when you don't have a lot of money, but it's important to get the best you can, avoiding the upgrades for a while or at least get a good case and motherboard that can handle the other changes. IMO

Gizzmoe
01-07-07, 01:44 PM
That's true Gizzmoe, but there are plenty of folks who will.

Yes, they are willing to pay a high price for a premium product. What´s wrong with that?

STEED
01-07-07, 01:58 PM

Yes, they are willing to pay a high price for a premium product. What´s wrong with that?

I can quote you one example, a friend of mind is in debt for the sum of £10,000 and he loves technology and is still running up his debt.

Don't get me wrong Gizzmoe if people want it they will pay for it.

The Munster
01-07-07, 02:06 PM

Nothing wrong with that provided you don't end up to your neck in debt over it ! That's the problem here [UK] .. It's wallowing in debt, a lot of it caused by the 'beating the jones's' attitude that is rife here.

Gizzmoe
01-07-07, 02:09 PM
I can quote you one example, a friend of mind is in debt for the sum of £10,000 and he loves technology and is still running up his debt.

He has a psychological problem, the high prices of certain technologies didn´t cause his debts.

STEED
01-07-07, 02:09 PM
the problem here [UK] .. It's wallowing in debt, a lot of it caused by the 'beating the jones's' attitude that is rife here.

I just wonder how much of the consumer debt is technology related? Consumer debt here in the U.K. went pass £1 Trillion mark back in 2006.

STEED
01-07-07, 02:15 PM

He has a psychological problem, the high prices of certain technologies didn´t cause his debts.

He buys all the latest gadgets and when they are surpassed by newer versions he rushes out to buys them and bins the old.

TV's,radios,DVDs,PC's well the list just goes on. He's got the latest toilet seat warmer. Yep, that's right just don't ask me why. :-?

Iceman
01-07-07, 02:17 PM
Ahh I remeber when "Pong" was cool....

Check this out for a laugh and quit spending so much money on computers. :)

http://omgwtf.superlime.com/pong.swf

Enjoy your game. :)

STEED
01-07-07, 02:21 PM
Ahh I remeber when "Pong" was cool....

Check this out for a laugh and quit spending so much money on computers. :)

http://omgwtf.superlime.com/pong.swf

Enjoy your game. :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
01-07-07, 04:21 PM
"I love you man!"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The Munster
01-07-07, 04:36 PM
:rotfl: Nearly choked laughing over Pong ! Flu and laughter don't mix. Will definitely pass on this link.

Immacolata
01-07-07, 04:40 PM
I find that upgrading every 2nd year is necessary for me to experience games to my desire. However lately this has dropped somewhat in favour of console games. I got the wii and the ds. And I love it.

This has made me reconsider my game pc budget. I now wait untill a very specific game comes out for the pc that I want to play. This time it was Oblivion. Ill stick with my current box of 4400 X2 and X1900XT untill at least summer 2008. Then I shall see what is out worthy of upgrading for, if anything at all.

XabbaRus
01-07-07, 05:17 PM
My Pc is 2 years old with a 3.2 Ghz CPU and if I want to I can add up to 4GB of RAM.

The card at the moment is an ATI X300 but it is good enouigh for DW and IL-2 and I can't see myself getting any new sims soon. It works well for 3DS MAX. I guess if I got a more powerful card I'd upgrade the PSU so to get the power requirements but apart from that it is fine. also it is an eMachines, and it hasn't busted on me once even though I read some people moaning about them.

bookworm_020
01-07-07, 05:54 PM
I bought a second hand computer which I bought so I could play SHIII. I add some extra memory and a graphics card (it's an old FX5200, but it's the oly one that could fit a low profile AGP slot)

It did fine with SHIII and coped well with GWX (so far!), it does drop frame rates around port but there is a lot to keep track of!

After seeing the specs for SHIV I know that my computer will be OK to play it on a low setting for the game (it will just make it!), but it will be hard pushed to cope with any upgrade! (looking forward to a Pacific GWX already!), so I'm going to buy a new computer around the middle of the year (as long as I can get permission from the paymaster general, the wife!):)

Hope this keeps me going for a couple of years at least!