PDA

View Full Version : Distant patrols.....

Slick Rick
01-05-07, 08:14 AM
I have noticed that when I get assigned a patrol area like GR 56....down by Capetown.....that when I stop to fuel up I lose my orders ....Do I still get the renown for going down there anyway??

danlisa
01-05-07, 08:16 AM
No, you won't.

However, if you use SH3Cmdr then, while you're in port refuelling, you can exit SH3 and put in a new/same patrol grid.

azn_132
01-05-07, 08:17 AM
I have noticed that when I get assigned a patrol area like GR 56....down by Capetown.....that when I stop to fuel up I lose my orders ....Do I still get the renown for going down there anyway??
Yeah I encounter the same way u did but around D-somethin.

Slick Rick
01-05-07, 08:43 AM
No, you won't.

However, if you use SH3Cmdr then, while you're in port refuelling, you can exit SH3 and put in a new/same patrol grid. I see.....well even though I am in a type IXC.....making Capetown without refueling is a challenge in itself....I like to use flank speed a lot though :o :up:

mookiemookie
01-05-07, 08:46 AM
No, you won't.

However, if you use SH3Cmdr then, while you're in port refuelling, you can exit SH3 and put in a new/same patrol grid. I see.....well even though I am in a type IXC.....making Capetown without refueling is a challenge in itself....I like to use flank speed a lot though :o :up:
Waste of gas. Full speed is more fuel efficient and almost as quick if you want to go fast over long distances. :know:

Actually, if you do about 9 kts down to Capetown, you should have no fuel issues and most likely will see more ships along the way.

Slick Rick
01-05-07, 08:55 AM
I know.....but I get impatient easily.....:nope: If you make it down to Capetown and do your 24hrs in the grid.....and then stop to refuel...wont you lose your renown then also?? Or does the game credit you the renown then......

Jimbuna
01-05-07, 09:00 AM
You should get the renown for reaching the patrol grid only :up:

danlisa
If you do your 24hrs then stop for fuel the game treats it as if it is the end of your patrol. Renown & medals are awarded.

LeafsFan
I am an all ahead slow kinda guy myself.

HB

Sailor Steve
01-05-07, 12:21 PM
Ahead 1/3 is the best telegraph setting. 9 knots fine-tunes it for best efficiency.

Ducimus
01-05-07, 12:34 PM
I know.....but I get impatient easily.....:nope:

:rotfl:

Personaly i go at 8-9 kts, then kick up the TC to 2048 in areas where i dont think ill see much traffic :88)

mookiemookie
01-05-07, 12:39 PM
Personaly i go at 8-9 kts, then kick up the TC to 2048 in areas where i dont think ill see much traffic :88)

This is pretty much what I do. Around 9 or 10 knots for travelling to and from, and 6 knots while on station.

Ole
01-24-07, 05:02 AM
hi,
i am on my way south, now i wanted to stop in las palmas, there is a german ship, i forgot the name, something like correndas i think. i want to refuel and my mission is not finished. the only way is to end mission there? should i dock in las palmas or at the ship? does this make any difference? i want to go on with my mission but i need fuel :cry:

melnibonian
01-24-07, 06:21 AM
If you want to get renown for reaching your patrol grid and spending 24 hours there you have to do it first. If you dock to a milk cow your patrol finishes and you will lose the renown.

Abd_von_Mumit
01-24-07, 06:25 AM
Can I use SH3 Commander to assign a patrol area to next patrol after docking at milkcow? I would like to generate it randomly (for example by starting a new career at the same date with the same boat and checking, what quadrant has been assigned), then apply it some way. Is that possible?

melnibonian
01-24-07, 06:27 AM
Can I use SH3 Commander to assign a patrol area to next patrol after docking at milkcow? I would like to generate it randomly (for example by starting a new career at the same date with the same boat and checking, what quadrant has been assigned), then apply it some way. Is that possible?
Yes you can assign a new patrol area with SH3Cmd after you dock to a milk cow. The problem is that the game will not recognise it and still assign it as NULL.

Ole
01-24-07, 06:40 AM
If you want to get renown for reaching your patrol grid and spending 24 hours there you have to do it first. If you dock to a milk cow your patrol finishes and you will lose the renown.
thx, iŽll do it that way

Jimbuna
01-24-07, 07:09 AM
Better/more realistic to assign yourself the same patrol grid you were given prior to docking with the milch cow :yep:

Abd_von_Mumit
01-24-07, 07:17 AM
Better/more realistic to assign yourself the same patrol grid you were given prior to docking with the milch cow :yep:
But I'm visiting the milk cow _after_ reaching the assigned grid, so I think it's better to get another one. (if that answer was to my post) :)

PS Now having much joy 60 kms from the cow, sinking allied merchants 150 kms west of Gibraltar and waiting till all my torpedoes are used. :) In the assigned patrol area EJ66 I found nothing, literally nothing (spent a week there).

Slick Rick
01-24-07, 09:07 AM
The Corrientes fuel stop is actual history....I was not aware of this fact and just read about it in the book Grey Wolf Grey Sea......Good book by the way.....

Mowinz
01-24-07, 11:54 AM
Ahead 1/3 is the best telegraph setting. 9 knots fine-tunes it for best efficiency.

Hi Sailor!

This is a good lesson. I'm just beginning to experiment with different TC and speeds. Are you saying 1/3 ahead and 1024 or 2048, etc will be optimal?

I was going at it full flank and 1024 or higher and found out this doesn't work too well because you zipp past the shipping, then, you usually have to turn around completely and chase.

Lowering boat speed and increasing TC is the best solution for game enjoyment?
Is that correct?

Cheers

Jimbuna
01-24-07, 12:32 PM
But I'm visiting the milk cow _after_ reaching the assigned grid, so I think it's better to get another one. (if that answer was to my post) :)

PS Now having much joy 60 kms from the cow, sinking allied merchants 150 kms west of Gibraltar and waiting till all my torpedoes are used. :) In the assigned patrol area EJ66 I found nothing, literally nothing (spent a week there).

Make hay whilst the sun is shining :sunny:

SINK EM ALL!! :arrgh!:

GT182
01-24-07, 01:04 PM
To find out what your range is at a certain speed, check with the navagator. Click his icon, then orders paper and Range. It's the best way that's pretty accurate and will allow you to change speed to make your grid, resupply, or base.

There's no way to change Null to a patrol grid in SHIII Cmdr, unless JScones can make it work for us.

bigboywooly
01-24-07, 02:41 PM

Hi Sailor!

This is a good lesson. I'm just beginning to experiment with different TC and speeds. Are you saying 1/3 ahead and 1024 or 2048, etc will be optimal?

I was going at it full flank and 1024 or higher and found out this doesn't work too well because you zipp past the shipping, then, you usually have to turn around completely and chase.

Is that correct?

Cheers

Lowering boat speed will conserve fuel
Lowering TC will get you a lot more ships and aircraft attacks too

At real high TC you will always miss out on shipping

Abd_von_Mumit
01-24-07, 02:47 PM
Unless submerged with sonar manned, I suppose.

bigboywooly
01-24-07, 02:53 PM
The Corrientes fuel stop is actual history....I was not aware of this fact and just read about it in the book Grey Wolf Grey Sea......Good book by the way.....

Am pretty sure all fuel resupply are historical
From the Brake and Charlotte Schliemann in the Indian Ocean ( both sinkings are also modelled in GWX )
http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/1210.html

To the historic milkcows in the atlantic

bigboywooly
01-24-07, 02:54 PM

True but at 2048TC you wont be submerged for long before batteries flat

Abd_von_Mumit
01-24-07, 03:23 PM

Unless you order 'all stop!'.

;)

Slick Rick
01-24-07, 04:33 PM

Am pretty sure all fuel resupply are historical
From the Brake and Charlotte Schliemann in the Indian Ocean ( both sinkings are also modelled in GWX )
http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/1210.html

To the historic milkcows in the atlantic Makes the game that much more enjoyable.......... :up: :up: :up:

Sailor Steve
01-24-07, 04:49 PM

;)
But real u-boats couldn't "all stop" underwater. They would either float to the surface or sink to the bottom.

You wouldn't want to cheat, would you?:x

Sailor Steve
01-24-07, 04:51 PM

Hi Sailor!

Is that correct?

Cheers
You never want to use full or flank speed unless you're chasing a known contact (like a ship you've already spotted). It burns too much fuel.

As stated by others, very high time compression should only be used when out in the middle of nowhere and there's not much chance of traffic to miss. SH3 is buggy with missing things at high TC.

Mowinz
01-24-07, 07:02 PM
Ok Thanks again!

Cheers

Abd_von_Mumit
01-25-07, 04:52 AM

;)
But real u-boats couldn't "all stop" underwater. They would either float to the surface or sink to the bottom.

You wouldn't want to cheat, would you?:x
Even if I order "Ahead slow" my batteries will last longer than my crew will - there's enough oxygen/fresh air for about 40 hours, and the batteries last for longer time.

My real concern is that running on batteries for a very long time is a bigger 'cheat' than ordering full stop underwater, because loading batteries doesnt consume any fuel, and thus lets you travel around the world without much trouble. So I try not to travel submerged (snorkel is still not available).