PDA

View Full Version : Missing crew?

Swany6mm
01-04-07, 12:42 AM
Ok, I know about how some crew can be moved off the ship between patrols, but, when I go into SH3C and look at my crew list, it shows 5 officers. When I was in port, the barracks showed 5 officers. I'm at sea. I have 4. The missing 5th is the 5th that I added on when I started my carrer. It's only my second patrol and he was there for the first.

Any ideas?

azn_132
01-04-07, 12:54 AM
Ok, I know about how some crew can be moved off the ship between patrols, but, when I go into SH3C and look at my crew list, it shows 5 officers. When I was in port, the barracks showed 5 officers. I'm at sea. I have 4. The missing 5th is the 5th that I added on when I started my carrer. It's only my second patrol and he was there for the first.

Any ideas?
In SH3C 2.7 there is a option to simulate realistic crew transfers or u lose one crewman per patrol.

danlisa
01-04-07, 03:18 AM
Also, there is a rather annoying 'stock' bug where if you have an officer in the repair section when you dock/leave on patrol then he vanishes.

IIRC - The strange thing about it is that he is still there but you can't see him, which is why SH3Cmdr still shows him as present.

I have, however, never had this happen to me (touch wood).

Jimbuna
01-04-07, 07:52 AM
Only ever experienced it once...check they are all on station or in rest rooms before you leave for your patrol :yep: ....never in the repair section :nope:

Swany6mm
01-04-07, 10:40 AM
That's got to be it then. That's exactly where he was when I docked and left ;) Thanks guys. :)

Swany6mm
01-06-07, 01:42 AM
Ok, I've made it back from patrol, but my 5th officer is still missing from the roster even though it shows I am full (5\5). I've been through the barracks trying to find a way to get him "out" of the repair room. He doesn't show up there at sea nor while in port. Anyone know how I can get him back? I don't want to have to give him medals via SH3C all the time. Heck, I'll even take a way to remove him from the list so I can open up that slot and put someone else in.

azn_132
01-06-07, 01:45 AM
Ok, I've made it back from patrol, but my 5th officer is still missing from the roster even though it shows I am full (5\5). I've been through the barracks trying to find a way to get him "out" of the repair room. He doesn't show up there at sea nor while in port. Anyone know how I can get him back? I don't want to have to give him medals via SH3C all the time. Heck, I'll even take a way to remove him from the list so I can open up that slot and put someone else in.
Do that then so maybe u will see a 5th officer all the time.

JScones
01-06-07, 02:42 AM
As you are now back in port and hence "in base before mission", try this...

Open up crew_career_x0.cfg, where x is your next patrol number minus 1. Note the 0 - it is important to open the file that ends with 0.

Find the awol officer (will be in one of the first 13 slots - 0 through 12 - which are reserved for the officers). Make sure you find the entry that has an NrComp value greater than -1 (write the number down for later). Ignore any entries for this character that have an NrComp value of -1.*

Change the NrComp value to one of the following numbers:

0 = Bridge
1 = Radio Room
2 = Command Room
3 = Engine Room
4 = Electrical Engine Room
5 = Bow Torpedo Room
6 = Bow Rest Room
7 = Stern Rest Room
8 = Stern Torpedo Room

where the number equates to a VACANT officer spot in your game. You will need to take note of the vacant officer spots in SH3.

Reload SH3 and see if he returns.

Pls post your results here, including the NrComp value that the awol officer had before you changed it.

*If all entries for the officer have NrComp=-1, then you'll need to find the one that looks the "latest", ie highest rank or greatest medals or other attribute which may suggest he is the lost one. Although, as SH3Cmdr continues to recognises the officer, and it is set to ignore any entry where NrComp=-1, I doubt this will be the case.

Swany6mm
01-07-07, 01:28 AM
Didnt' work. I changed it to 7, the Stern rest area, loaded the game, he didn't show up in the barracks, so I loaded the next patrol and still not there. Exited the game (saving while still sitting at the dock), checked the crew_config_(saved name).cfg file, and he's listed there as being in NRComp 7. *grumble* Thank you for the idea though, it's appreciated :)

I even tried moving another officer around using this method. Didn't work. He stayed right where he was.

JScones
01-07-07, 01:38 AM
Didnt' work. I changed it to 7, the Stern rest area, loaded the game, he didn't show up in the barracks, so I loaded the next patrol and still not there. Exited the game (saving while still sitting at the dock), checked the crew_config_(saved name).cfg file, and he's listed there as being in NRComp 7. *grumble* Thank you for the idea though, it's appreciated :)

I even tried moving another officer around using this method. Didn't work. He stayed right where he was.
OK, so you are mid-patrol #3 now? Under your <Career>\2 folder will be a crew_config file that corresponds to your last save. Open it and see what it has. Again, try changing the value and reloading your save.

You may want to back up your save just in case this action corrupts it. ;)

Swany6mm
01-07-07, 02:09 AM
Ok, made the changes, loaded the game. No joy. Nothing changed at all. I checked the next config file that was created with the second save and it shows that they SHOULD be in different areas, but they are not.

Swany6mm
01-07-07, 06:15 PM
Ok, fixed it :) I had to find ALL entries for that one officer. Didn't realize there would be more than one. I just stopped at the first one I found. Once I found them all, I changed all their NRComp values then loaded the game. He was there. In three different rooms lol. I had 7/5 officer slots filled ;) I dismissed all but one and moved him to the engine room. That still left me with 6/5 slots filled. I went back to the config file and saw that the all entries but two had been changed to a value of -1. One of the two remaining was still at 7 while the other was now at 4. I set the 7 to -1, reloaded the game, and now I have a full officer list of 5/5 and my missing officer is now in the engine room.

Now I need to go count P.O.'s and S's to make sure none of my other crew are missing lol. Thanks for the advice and help on this guys :)

JScones
01-08-07, 02:33 AM
Did you take note of what the NrComp values were *before* you changed them? That info would be very helpful as there could be potential for SH3Cmdr to automatically fix this long existing and frustrating problem (well, it is for some players anyway).

For example, if I know that the NrComp value for "affected" officers is always 1, then I can build into SH3Cmdr integrity checks to fix (or at least point it out/recognise it as a possible problem).

BTW, yes, there are possibly many entries for the same officer, but there should only ever be one entry where the NrComp value is > -1. As I mentioned this above in my instructions to you (thus assume you followed them), are you saying that the officer appeared more than once with NrComp values > -1???

Swany6mm
01-08-07, 03:36 AM
He was listed as crew members 2, 9, and 11. 2 was NrComp=1 (the radio room, where we all know there is no officer slot there). 9 and 11 were both listed as NrComp=-1.

Now, when I first started trying to fix this, I stopped at crew member 2, not realizing there could be more listings for him. Also, I saw that it was 1, and not -1 so I just assumed (I know, ass, u, me, etc lol) that was the one I was after. Then I found this in the archivces by doing a google search:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/archive/index.php/t-82525.html

That's where I realized there could be more than one listing for him and searched the cfg file. It was Augusts post about a 1/3 of the way down that did it for me:

"Your missing officers info will show up in at least one other crew slot (somewhere in the first 11 slots), depending on how many compartments he was moved to during your last game session. The game doesn't erase the info when you move someone out of the slot, it just changes that NrComp number to -1 to show it as unoccupied. The only time it completely over writes the slot info is when you move another crew member into the slot."

That's when I did the three changes and ended up with extra crew members and the such.

Does that help any? If not, I could try and give a step-by-step of what I did.

JScones
01-08-07, 03:59 AM
Yes, this helps. Thanks. :up:

Swany6mm
01-08-07, 04:11 AM
Any time.