PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a change...

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 02:08 AM
Hi all!

First off, let me say that I've been a long-time player of SHIII and a long-time lurker on these boards.

I've been playing the same build of SHIII for a while now. I still use patch 1.3 because I still use World Mod 2.0 (not to be confused with SHWorld 3.0).

So, I'm thinking it's about time to fresh install SHIII and install patch 1.4.

There's only one problem. I really love sneaking into ports all over to unleash my fish. But I have no idea what mod will put traffic into the harbors. Nothing makes me more upset than when I avoid half a dozen DDs on my way into Lock Ewe, or a dozen on my way into Belfast, only to find nothing there at all.

Now, I'm not expecting to find a BB, or even an Cruiser in any of these ports, but I think that the ports were just a little busier.

Once I patch to 1.4, what mods would you recommend that increase the number of ports as well as traffic (realistic traffic, I don't want to find a BB or a carrier in every port) in and around these ports?

_Seth_
01-01-07, 02:27 AM
Hi, and welcome, and a happy new year, mate!

I will instantly recommend GWX. It gives you just the amount of realism you could desire, in my opinion. There are also some harbour traffic mods out there, but i think GWX have it all.:up:

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 02:50 AM
I've looked at GWX.

If I remember World Mod 2.0 (I think the mod has since been discontinued), I think the DDs have had their difficulty bumped to Elite, so I don't think I'd have a problem getting used to the tactics of the DDs.

But I really like getting into harbors and then trying to get out again. So much so that I haven't attacked a convoy at sea in quite some time.

Does GWX increase harbor traffic? I can't find any info on that aspect.

_Seth_
01-01-07, 03:08 AM
I've looked at GWX.

If I remember World Mod 2.0 (I think the mod has since been discontinued), I think the DDs have had their difficulty bumped to Elite, so I don't think I'd have a problem getting used to the tactics of the DDs.

But I really like getting into harbors and then trying to get out again. So much so that I haven't attacked a convoy at sea in quite some time.

Does GWX increase harbor traffic? I can't find any info on that aspect. In my opinion, GWX does increase HT. Anyway; i dont think you would find a such frame-rate friendly addon as GWX, since nearly all of it is packed in .dat-files.
I have always spotted juicy targets in those enemy ports i have visited. But the best sight i have seen so far, is when im leaving La Spezia (dont remember exactly what year), and the whole harbour is filled with Italian Capital ships. Those big beauties really makes good eye-candy, too bad that they are my "friends..":roll:

Edit: If you like to enter ports, try GWX and a raid at Scapa or Loch Ewe... If that doesnt send chills down your spine, you have to be Chuck Norris... I recommend both of those ports when it comes to this type of tactics & battle.

shegeek72
01-01-07, 03:11 AM
Happy New Year! :rock:

To answer your question: Is a submarine water-proof? :up:
--
http://tarafoundation.org/sh3_dark_gw3r.jpg

_Seth_
01-01-07, 03:22 AM
Happy New Year! :rock:

To answer your question: Is a submarine water-proof? :up:
--
http://tarafoundation.org/sh3_dark_gw3r.jpg
:rotfl::rotfl:Yo girl! Happy new year! :rock:

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 03:37 AM
Edit: If you like to enter ports, try GWX and a raid at Scapa or Loch Ewe... If that doesnt send chills down your spine, you have to be Chuck Norris... I recommend both of those ports when it comes to this type of tactics & battle.

At this point it's going to take a lot to send a chill down my spine.

I've done more than my fair share of raids that were successful, yet stupid by any stretch of the imagination.

Seriously, what is wrong with me when I keep going after places like Belfast, Dover and Loch Ewe in my IX?!

_Seth_
01-01-07, 03:59 AM
At this point it's going to take a lot to send a chill down my spine.

I've done more than my fair share of raids that were successful, yet stupid by any stretch of the imagination.

Seriously, what is wrong with me when I keep going after places like Belfast, Dover and Loch Ewe in my IX?!
:rotfl:Nothing's wrong with you, mate! Every man needs his thrill, believe me..! :up: You could also take a trip through the English Channel in GWX... Many men have entered, few have returned...

Hakahura
01-01-07, 05:14 AM
GWX will make you old before your time!

Get it:up:

LeafsFan
01-01-07, 08:24 AM
Indeed!!

HB

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 10:51 AM
GWX will definitely put the fear back into you. It has me.

Jimbuna
01-01-07, 11:41 AM
If you've been around for a while then it's likely you've already tried some of the rest :yep: .....now try the best :up: GWX :rock:

LeafsFan
01-01-07, 01:26 PM
If you've been around for a while then it's likely you've already tried some of the rest :yep: .....now try the best :up: GWX :rock:

Absolutely

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 02:16 PM
So just to get things right:

I have downloaded:
-GWX
-GWX update

Need to download:
-Patch 1.4b

Then I need to fresh install SHIII, update to patch 1.4b, install GWX, and then GWX Update.

Is that all correct?

Any other mods work with GWX?

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 02:26 PM
SH3 Commander works with GWX.

Swany6mm
01-01-07, 02:28 PM

SH3 Commander works with GWX as long as you use the GWX patch for SH3 Commander, correct? Something to do with modifying the cfg files. I've installed it, but didn't look at what was updated.

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 02:33 PM
How about Crush Depth?

Or does GWX fix that itself?

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 02:43 PM
SH3 Commander works with GWX as long as you use the GWX patch for SH3 Commander, correct? Something to do with modifying the cfg files. I've installed it, but didn't look at what was updated.

I thought that was only a problem with the GWX beta but I may be wrong....

If so, then where can I find the GWX patch for Sh3 Commander? I wanna use 'em both for WaW.

bigboywooly
01-01-07, 02:48 PM
Click below my sig
The SH3commander GWX files are in my FF account

http://files.filefront.com/GWXCfg4SH3Cmdr27zip/;6455941;;/fileinfo.html

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 02:52 PM
Click below my sig
The SH3commander GWX files are in my FF account

Is it the file above that listed as Dec 23 Corrections? I'm not very computer savvy, sorry.

do I download these files once I've installed Sh3 Commander or before?

bigboywooly
01-01-07, 03:00 PM
Yes its that file
I posted the link straight to it too after

Install SH3Commander
The file in that D\L go into SH3Commander NOT GWX
Read the Readme thats included

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 03:06 PM
So then GWX Update (Dec 23 Corrections) is for SH3Commander only?

Does SH3 Crush Depth work with GWX?

bigboywooly
01-01-07, 03:42 PM
So then GWX Update (Dec 23 Corrections) is for SH3Commander only?

Does SH3 Crush Depth work with GWX?

NO the Dec 23rd Update is for GWX - http://files.filefront.com/GWX___Dec_23rd_Corrections7z/;6411219;;/fileinfo.html

The additional SH3commander files are for SH3commander only

As usual with all updates
Do only while in port
Rollback SH3commander first

For the GWX update - install through JSGME
Disable all other mods enabled through JSGME then enable the Dec 23rd patch
Then reenable your favourite mods

Iron Budokan
01-01-07, 04:01 PM
Thank you!:D

TriskettheKid
01-01-07, 05:40 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!

This is now my second time trying to install GWX. :damn::damn::damn:

I forgot to deactivate my active mods through JSGME.

One last question, though:

I'm really interested in activating the 16km viewing radius, I'm just worried that my rig can't handle it:

2.54 gHz P4
1 gig PC800-40 RDRAM
256 mb (DDR3) 7800GS OC

Think I can run the 16km view?

bigboywooly
01-01-07, 05:42 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!

This is now my second time trying to install GWX. :damn::damn::damn:

I forgot to deactivate my active mods through JSGME.

One last question, though:

I'm really interested in activating the 16km viewing radius, I'm just worried that my rig can't handle it:

2.54 gHz P4
1 gig PC800-40 RDRAM
256 mb (DDR3) 7800GS OC

Think I can run the 16km view?

Looks like it should be ok
Its added through JSGME - after the Dec 23rd update - so its easy to remove again if you find your rig struggles

TriskettheKid
01-02-07, 03:05 AM
Very impressed with GWX so far. Tried out some of the new features en route to my first patrol.

So far I'm on my fourth patrol, and I've already entered and sunk multiple ships in Lock Ewe, Scapa Flow, and Dover. Gotta say, I'm loving the harbors now. I actually have targets to choose from, even if some are Neutral. No warships yet, but I've taken out a few medium tankers, a large tanker, several small merchants, and I think a large cargo.

I'm still trying to figure out crush depths, though. Did GWX change crush depths to be more accurate? I only say this because I was trying out crush depths in my VIIB, and since I figured I could get down to about 230m or so before I should start worrying, I was surprised when I was already getting critical depth messages at about 160m.

TarJak
01-02-07, 03:30 AM
Mookiemookie has answered about crush depths here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=101480&highlight=crush+depth

TriskettheKid
01-02-07, 10:49 AM
What I meant was:

Did GWX model the crush depths correctly or do I have to use a mod?

I was concerned because my CE told me I was at critical depth at only 170m or so.