PDA

View Full Version : Sighted Sub; Sank Same (GWX)

Albrecht Von Hesse
12-31-06, 02:28 AM
U-77 is headed home to St. Nazaire after a satisfying third patrol ending on 5 Dec 1940 (10 ships sank for 46,012 tonnes) when, about 300 kilometers from port my WO calls out 'submarine spotted!'.

It took me a moment to realize that this particular spotting was very different than usual. (I guess the prompt window asking what action I wanted to take was a giveaway of sorts :p ).

It was a bit of a struggle to spot it through the UZO, but when I did I was startled to ID it as a S-class sub! I immediately turned and pursued, thankful I still had one remaining fish fore and aft. It was almost 2200 hours, quite dark and a dead calm sea, and I worried we'd get spotted if I got too close, and I couldn't do a submerged approach as I was literally dead astern. With it making 8 knots I'd only lose distance. When I got to with 1,500 meters I decided to fire at that range, with my last steamer, with it set for magnetic.

Only problem is . . . the S-class doesn't appear at all in the recognition manual, so I had no idea what its draft was. :stare:

I took a gamble and set it for 5 meters . . . and heard it bounce off the hull. Evidently its draft is deeper than 5! :p

Manning the deck gun I fired on it, having it return fire with its flak. Six good shots and my crew cheered as we 'sank' it . . . although it never did actually sink.

A nice ending to an already great patrol!!

(Story aside, I'm curious as to why the S-class doesn't appear in the recognition manual, and curious as well as to why it never did sink)

Letum
12-31-06, 04:16 AM
They do sink, just very slowly. I had to put 30 more shots in before she slipped under in about a hour.

JU_88
12-31-06, 04:35 AM
That S-class sub has an Identity crisis, I think its supposed to be the american S-Class, as it looks nothing like the British S-Class pictured below. I will try to model the proper S-CLass at some point, no promises though, because subs are very tricky to model, (esp for a 3dsmax novice like me.)

http://uboat.net/allies/warships/photos/br/ss_hms_simoon.jpg

Jimbuna
12-31-06, 05:54 AM
You weren't far off Albrecht. IIRC it's surfaced draught in the game is 5.8 metres :hmm:

andy_311
12-31-06, 08:41 AM
I mistaken a VIIC for one at night and sent her to the bottom.:oops:

hyperion2206
12-31-06, 09:12 AM
That S-class sub has an Identity crisis, I think its supposed to be the american S-Class, as it looks nothing like the British S-Class pictured below. I will try to model the proper S-CLass at some point, no promises though, because subs are very tricky to model, (esp for a 3dsmax novice like me.)

http://uboat.net/allies/warships/photos/br/ss_hms_simoon.jpg

It is an American S-Class Sub, but it is apperantly a stand-in for the British S-Class as well.
On my last patrol I sank a British S-Class and encountered some interesting things:
1. You need mor than 1 torpedo.
2. You don't get the usual "sunk-ship-icon" on the map.
3. The sub isn't counted as a warship nor as merchant (if you send a status report it only says that one has sunk 800 GRT).
4. On the map the sub appears as a red silouhette (normaly all ships are greyed out.)

LeafsFan
12-31-06, 11:55 AM
I mistaken a VIIC for one at night and sent her to the bottom.:oops:

Oops!! Try to explain that one to BDU!!

HB

Albrecht Von Hesse
12-31-06, 01:52 PM
You weren't far off Albrecht. IIRC it's surfaced draught in the game is 5.8 metres :hmm:

Kewl! I feel pretty good then at my guesstimate. :D

hyperion2206
12-31-06, 01:59 PM
(Story aside, I'm curious as to why the S-class doesn't appear in the recognition manual, and curious as well as to why it never did sink)

Since the S-Class is originally an American Sub it should be in the American part of the recognition manual. Haven't checked tho.;)

Albrecht Von Hesse
12-31-06, 02:17 PM

Since the S-Class is originally an American Sub it should be in the American part of the recognition manual. Haven't checked tho.;)

Normally if you click 'ship' it takes you straight to the correct page of the recognition manual. In this case, it just brought up the closed manual, tabbed to the British section. I'll admit I hadn't --and haven't, yet-- checked the Yank section.

Jimbuna
12-31-06, 02:30 PM
Not in front of my own pc at the moment to check...but I can say that the S class is not in the museum...only the Balao and Gato :up:

bigboywooly
12-31-06, 04:20 PM

Normally if you click 'ship' it takes you straight to the correct page of the recognition manual. In this case, it just brought up the closed manual, tabbed to the British section. I'll admit I hadn't --and haven't, yet-- checked the Yank section.

Damn
It doesnt have a .sil thats why it doesnt show in the manual
:oops:

Albrecht Von Hesse
12-31-06, 06:03 PM

Damn
It doesnt have a .sil thats why it doesnt show in the manual
:oops:

Well, gosh and golly gee, you should all be flogged for not spotting a bug. :D ;)

bigboywooly
12-31-06, 06:05 PM
To be honest I have had about an hours playing since I started working on it
And that includes since release

Always something to check out\add to :damn:

Albrecht Von Hesse
12-31-06, 06:13 PM
To be honest I have had about an hours playing since I started working on it
And that includes since release

Always something to check out\add to :damn:

I was teasing. Honest. There's a ton of effort and work into GWX; a little thing like this is nothing at all.