PDA

View Full Version : Map update & Wep Officer assistance - couple of questions

Generis71
12-27-06, 04:38 PM
Hi folks,

To try and get as close to realistic as possible, I select the No Map Updates and No Weapon Officer assistance. But the problem is (and I feel I might be missing the point here so forgive me), is that as my watch officer calls out a ship spotted.. there's no icon appearing on the map. Before GWX I remember there being a icon placed on the map with a time of aquisition, and it gradually faded as the contact got older. But now there isnt anything. I didn't really want to have the God's Eye Mode map selected cos its not realistic is it?

Also, when viewing targets thru the UZO or scope, when I click on the Lock button, the lock holds for a few seconds then comes off. Its impossible to get any of the Range and speed readings as I can't seem to be able to hold the crosshairs on the target. I understand I could manually turn the scope to hold it on, but its fiddly at best trying to hold the crosshairs on and click the mouse.

Oh, nearly forgot.. does this happen when viewing neutral or friendly ships? Or is it just enemy targets that get marked on the map?

Like I said, I apologise if I have missed the obvious, but I just wanted to check in with you guys if you've got any advice. I think its definetly the two options mentioned above (from the Realism menu) that affect the problems I've explained.

Thanks for any help.

Gen

Herr Russ
12-27-06, 04:52 PM
I'm running Patched Vanilla, but am pretty sure that by selecting 'No Map Updates', it does away with the icons on the map and only gives the bearing lines..

As far as the scope not locking, I've only run into that with a far contact (11KM) or in bad weather.. Otherwise it pretty much stays locked on..

Good Luck..

Russ

Generis71
12-27-06, 05:05 PM

Well I'm not getting any bearing lines.. do you mean on the attack map or the nav map? I don't get anything on anywhere :(
Also, I was just trying the scope lock again on a target about 5500m, still no lock. The weather is clear and calm.

Letum
12-27-06, 05:13 PM
No Map Updates means No Markings and no and sonar bearings

In Stock SH3: Map Updates On means God's eye view
In GWX: Map Updates On means fadeing contacts if you can see them and sonar bearings

With No Map Updates you have to do all the work your self and use the marker pen to plot where you think the ships are. :know:

Generis71
12-27-06, 05:36 PM
O..k. Well lets say if I select Map Updates On.. that means I'm getting the Nav Officer to do his job a bit more :p

Phew, I dunno if I want it that realistic.. but then again, the option is there for me to choose I guess. And thats great. :up:

The first thing that entered my head was: Yeah but shouldn't the Nav officer (or whoever plots the contacts) be responsible for plotting contacts and the commander gives him data from the scope/uzo?

Then I thought: well the game could just let you be in command, but you should have the chance to do the fiddly bits too.

Do you get what I mean? Hmm.. maybe I should start a career as a training tool. Sit near a friendly port and practice plotting contacts.

So would the Lock problem be part of the realism thing? It remains locked when I have the Weapon assistance on.

Letum
12-27-06, 05:48 PM
The lock problem is a problem with stock SH3. There is no real way round it.

It happens much less if the ship is near and the waters are calm. It's annoying.

Don't get the target speed from the in game notepad. It is very inaccurate.
Read this to find the best way of getting the speed:
http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

Having contact updates off forces you to spend at least 5 mins getting target data ready, just like real crews would have to. 10mins or more if you want to make sure you don't miss.
It makes SH3 much more rewarding if you have the patience to learn.

Generis71
12-27-06, 06:51 PM
Many thanks Letum.. I'm gonna read up on this. I haven't given enough time to properly use the sim.. I do agree with you, it defenitely deserves it.

:yep:

Letum
12-27-06, 07:06 PM
Many thanks Letum.. I'm gonna read up on this. I haven't given enough time to properly use the sim.. I do agree with you, it defenitely deserves it.

:yep:
It's best to learn how to use TDC with map contacts on first so you can get the hang of the basics before turning contacts off.

You are very welcome and Happy hunting!

Generis71
12-28-06, 03:28 AM
Letum, I wondered if I could ask a couple more questions please?

Firstly, how are Milk Cows implemented? Is there an option to request one when you send status report?

Secondly, so far I'm only getting the same weather (i've only travelled around the Central North Sea area so far). I think GWX adds better weather, can't remember where I read it tho.

Letum
12-28-06, 05:04 AM
Sure, lets see....

Milk Cows
Milk Cows are not implemented in Stock SH3:down:

However, there are many mod packs that have Milk Cows as a feature.
It's hard to miss all the fuss about GWx, the most recent mod pack. There are other mod packs as well, such as NYGM, but GWx is as good as any and you will find plenty of support for it on this forum.

The way the mods simulate Milk Cows is to make a "port" in the middle of the sea. You can dock at this Milk Cow "port" in the same way as you dock at any other port in game. Now things get a little tricky....
If you just start the game again from the new port, 30 days will have passed because SH3 doesn't know that this is a special port.
To get rid of the 30 day wait you need to get a copy of "SH3Commander 2.7".

"SH3Commander 2.7" is a excellent tool that manages your game and adds many new features such as equipment breakdowns.

To use "SH3Commander 2.7" with a Milk Cows you need to:

Finding Supply Points (GWx)
Press F1 in game to find a list of supply points and dates they are available
They will appear as a friendly port on the map
Using Supply Points
1) Get in range of the supply point
2) Press Esc and dock at the supply point as if it where a port
3) Exit the game and load SH3Commander
4) In SH3Commander click on the blue text next to "status" until it changes to "in other base" make sure your patrol grid hasn't changed. If it has; set it back.
5) Start the game and load your career as you normally would from the last save in the list. You will get the office screen. Click on the board to start the mission as usual. You should start at the supply point of milk cow. One day will have passed and you will be resupplied.

Weather

SH3's weather system is terrible!
If you save and load the game a lot it resets SH3's weather system and the weather never changes.
GWX does change the weather system a bit, but not much.
There is a program called SH3 Weather that works with SH3Commander. It changes the weather according to your location and the season.
However, what ever mod you use, the weather system is still crappy and it can't be fixed. :down:

*edit* personaly I use SH3 Weather

Hpoe I helped, Happy hunting! :up:

Jimbuna
12-28-06, 06:28 AM
WOW :o that was some response Letum :up: ...very detailed :yep: I look forward to hunting with you on MP in the near future mein English kaleun :arrgh!:

Just one point if I may.....I believe earlier versions than 2.7 of SH3Commander had the ability to detect when you were at either a milch cow or neutral base :hmm: (can't be sure exactly which version was the first though...poss 2.5).

PM me ;)

Herr Russ
12-28-06, 11:07 AM
Wow.. I stand corrected :oops: Sorry to give you bum info.. I learn something new about this game every day..

Russ

Generis71
12-28-06, 11:58 AM
Letum is a Star! :sunny:

Thanks mate.. :up:

fredbass
12-28-06, 12:16 PM
A few things to know:

To dock at a milkcow, you'll need to be much closer than a regular port. I think it's less than 5000m, but not sure.

Plus I don't think you'll actually see the resupply Uboat when you arrive. So just keep clicking "escape/exit patrol" to see when you are given option to dock there.

As far as weather is concerned. I haven't been happy with the weather during my first few patrols in GWX so I"m gonna have to give SH3Weather ago as I did in GW1.1a and see if it helps.

robj250
12-28-06, 12:53 PM
O..k. Well lets say if I select Map Updates On.. that means I'm getting the Nav Officer to do his job a bit more :p

Phew, I dunno if I want it that realistic.. but then again, the option is there for me to choose I guess. And thats great. :up:

The first thing that entered my head was: Yeah but shouldn't the Nav officer (or whoever plots the contacts) be responsible for plotting contacts and the commander gives him data from the scope/uzo?

Then I thought: well the game could just let you be in command, but you should have the chance to do the fiddly bits too.

Do you get what I mean? Hmm.. maybe I should start a career as a training tool. Sit near a friendly port and practice plotting contacts.

So would the Lock problem be part of the realism thing? It remains locked when I have the Weapon assistance on.

In Real Life, the Watch Officer, on the bridge, spots a ship and therefore would know the bearing, etc.