PDA

View Full Version : running on electric motors at the surface

ahab
12-23-06, 12:22 AM
One thing I always missed in SH III is the possibility of running your Boat silently on your e-engines while being surfaced. Also i miss the possibility to enter the bridge while you run pre-flooded, so that only your deck or only the tower stands above the waterline. Does anyone have heard of any fix for that?:ping: :ping: :ping:

CCIP
12-23-06, 12:50 AM
you can't really run electrics on the surface, but you can run pre-flooded/decks awash. It's a feature of, well, any current major mod package (e.g. NYGM, GWX) by simply setting a lower depth while running surfaced. You can set your depth from surfaced position to anywhere down to 8m. Click it and see!

[edit]
proof:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Otohiko/awash.jpg

Letum
12-23-06, 01:49 AM
Running decks awash even makes you harder to see.
The SH3 Devs did a good job in the basic codeing for visual detection.

IRONxMortlock
12-23-06, 02:10 AM
Nice, does cruising around with decks awash reduce your surface speed?
________
Colorado Dispensary (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

CCIP
12-23-06, 02:13 AM

Yep. I would say by about 1.5 times overall, depending on how you set your depth.

Jimbuna
12-23-06, 07:24 AM
The main reason people use 'decks awash' is to either make the boat less visible or cut down on the diving time :arrgh!:

Hartmann
12-23-06, 10:02 AM

Yep. I would say by about 1.5 times overall, depending on how you set your depth.

Yes , reduced speed for the same engine power. if you want the same speed you need burn a lot of fuel, but very useful in waters with swarms of planes, :doh: stealth and low profile. :up:

i used it a lot ambushing convoys in happy times waiting in deck awash in calm waters .

but in heavy weather your bridge crew could need a scuba gear :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
12-23-06, 11:56 AM
Running decks awash even makes you harder to see.
The SH3 Devs did a good job in the basic codeing for visual detection.
But a terrible job on operations procedure. Nobody ran on diesels when running decks awash. One, the noise they make completely ruins the stealth factor. Two, while there are vents in the conning tower, even the slightest wave action makes it too easy for water to get in. Decks awash = e-motors all the way. Of course this means that decks-awash speed is limited to 8 knots, and not even that if you're trying to make it last.