PDA

View Full Version : Deck ammo question

Blacklight
12-20-06, 01:58 PM
I couldn't find this listed in the manual. What's the differences between the different deck gun ammo's and what targets are they designed to be utilised against ?

SilverGhost
12-20-06, 02:16 PM
HE=High Explosive. Means just that...destructive explosive capability.

AP= Armor Piercing. Designed primarily against warships' armor belts and plates...but the mod eliminates it from inventory. If you're using stock SH3, you get it.

AA 20mm - for anti-aircraft ops - not a deck gun ammo load out.

SS= Starshells. Worthless IMHO. Used for night ops to illuminate the general area so you can see....problem is, the enemy uses it to their advantage as well.

I'd love to modify the deck gun .cfg files for load out, but the changes are reverted when I start the game.

AVGWarhawk
12-20-06, 02:18 PM
If you use GWX all you get is HE because that is all the uboat had.

bigboywooly
12-20-06, 02:22 PM
There is virtually no difference between the AP and HE as modelled in the game anyway

Jimbuna
12-20-06, 04:21 PM
U-boats never carried starshells :nope: I reckon with GWX only giving you HE makes for a more realistic loadout :yep:

FlyinS
12-20-06, 06:13 PM
SS= Starshells. Worthless IMHO. Used for night ops to illuminate the general area so you can see....problem is, the enemy uses it to their advantage as well.

I would only disagree on the usefulness because I have sunk ships with the Star shells before. Takes a bunch of them, but when you've got nothing else left...

VIICDriver
12-20-06, 07:29 PM
It is stated here that with GWX you do not get AP or star shells, however when I view my weapons loadout it lists 40 of each and when selecting the deck gun it still allows me to select both. ?

Chuck

nightdagger
12-20-06, 10:57 PM

I would only disagree on the usefulness because I have sunk ships with the Star shells before. Takes a bunch of them, but when you've got nothing else left...

So have I. They're great as a backup (better than wasting a torpedo or when you're out of all other deck rounds/torpedoes.)