PDA

View Full Version : RELOADING

tonibamestre
12-17-06, 04:22 PM
Would be nice if this time we have the possibility to reload torps ,ammu,and fuel on our or allied ports,seeing the men working on deck,torps hanguing by the air, and also to meet at open sea with replenishment units to do that stuff.
Some kind of option could be implemented in order to that.

TheSatyr
12-17-06, 04:33 PM
There is no reason to have open sea replenishment in this game. The US never replenished their subs at sea, Only at sub bases.

Schatten
12-17-06, 05:01 PM
I was pretty sure that a couple of the Service Squadrons had sub tenders attached to them. I'll have to rummage through my moving boxes to see if I can find the book that indicated that.

Sailor Steve
12-17-06, 05:34 PM
Yes they did, but sub tenders did not perform at-sea replenishment. They were the home-port for subs, and never moved at all except to transfer to a new base.

Same with destroyer tenders. Even with surface ships, replenishment underway was limited to fuel, not food or ammo.

Schatten
12-17-06, 06:19 PM
Yeah I should have specified for fuel, if they were used underway at all. Most likely the Service Squadrons had them for setting up new bases as islands were taken, if they had them at all. Haven't found the book in the pile of boxes yet, but I'm pretty sure I read about the tenders in The Pacific War 1941-45 by Costello.

Sailor Steve
12-17-06, 06:23 PM
Well, I know our destroyer refueled at sea all the time, but that was from oilers, and I don't know if they carried anything but steam fuel oil. We used our tender mainly for repairs and parts.

fullmetaledges
12-17-06, 07:09 PM
I think when going out from pearl they would stop at midway to top off there fuel tanks.

Schatten
12-17-06, 08:24 PM
I think when going out from pearl they would stop at midway to top off there fuel tanks.

They did do that for sure.

Okay after looking for the book, to no avail, I flipped through some of my other ones. Tenders in WWII were basically the forward operating bases for the submarines, they'd sit at anchorage and do any maintainence, supply, whatever. So Sailor Steve is right once more. :up:

But it really makes me want to find that book to see why sub tenders were sailing with Service Squadrons attached to the Fast Carrier force. I can see it with the amphibious groups if they were going to set up a forward base right after a landing, but moving with the train for the carriers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Of course I could be misremembering the entire deal, it wouldn't be the first time, getting old is hell. :arrgh!:

Hylander_1314
12-18-06, 01:01 AM
Yep, sub tenders used for forward bases where no standard facilities were yet established. No at sea replenishments, as it was too dangerous for one thing, and the tender lacked the necessary equiptment to perform this task.

Frateloder
12-18-06, 02:30 AM
Since we're talking about sub tenders, I figured some visual reference would be nice:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0825803.jpg

...and while I was finding that pic, I stumbled upon this rare pic of a pressure hull exposed topside:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0825801.jpg

:arrgh!: