PDA

View Full Version : 3D damage to submarines?

Safe-Keeper
12-17-06, 09:22 AM
OK, so we know that AI ships have a 3D damage system, rather than the 2D system in Silent Hunter III. That is, instead of changing the texture of a ship when you hit it, you actually blow a 3D hole in it, like in for example Star Trek: Bridge Commander. My question is, do you think this will apply to submarines too? It'd be nice to undergo a heavy depth charge attack and have your boat look even more battered than U-96 at the end of Das Boot. As it is, the only 3D damage effects are the twisted artillery and anti-aircraft weaponry (and, with certain mods, a missing conning tower and whatnot).

Schatten
12-17-06, 10:22 AM
I don't think I've read anything one way or another about 3D damage specificially for the subs, but I hope it's there. Since there seems to be many more damage types for ships I'm going to assume (yeah I know what that does) that they put them on the subs as well, it just seems logical to me that if they'd do them for one they'd do them for the other.

I really hope it's in there though.

Sailor Steve
12-17-06, 03:17 PM
The SHIII devs said at one point that the reason they didn't make big holes for torpedo damage was that that would have meant spending many extra weeks and memory modelling the interior of every ship so the holes would look right no matter where they were on the ships.

CCIP
12-17-06, 05:33 PM
If the ships get it, I don't see why the subs won't to some extent!

Plus it won't need to be as complicated as the ships', I think. They don't really need to model the interior in any great detail for this at all: a sub with a hole in the hull is a dead sub :p

Which brings me to the next point - we had better get an animated death sequence!

Schatten
12-17-06, 06:20 PM
Which brings me to the next point - we had better get an animated death sequence!

Completely agree there. :up:

Pants
12-17-06, 07:46 PM
Sub damage would be nice, 20mm and upwards ( not including the main guns )..how can you model the damage a 18.1" shell does...it would certainly remove your sub from the area ;)

Schatten
12-17-06, 07:59 PM
Sub damage would be nice, 20mm and upwards ( not including the main guns )..how can you model the damage a 18.1" shell does...it would certainly remove your sub from the area ;)

The big guns are exactly why we need them to bring on the animated death sequence. :arrgh!:

Pants
12-17-06, 08:01 PM
Yup i hope so..kinda pee'd off at the instant death screen that's in SH3, i just want to prolong the death or something and see your sub breaking up. :yep:

Frateloder
12-18-06, 02:45 AM

Completely agree there. :up:

We'll just re-use the one from "Silent Service"! (circa 1985):

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/7175/silentservicedeathkw4.gif

Schatten
12-18-06, 02:53 AM
I loved Silent Service on my old C-64.

:up:

Sea Demon
12-18-06, 05:55 AM

What do you mean? Like water completely flooding your compartment after being punctured by depth charge attack? Or are you saying we get some animation from an outside point of view showing our submarine as it's dying?

The General
12-18-06, 06:34 AM
You are a blood-thirsty lot. Although, I would also like to see 3D damage to the subs, including the conning tower, which didn't even show 2D damage affects in SH3.

Safe-Keeper
12-18-06, 10:21 AM
With "animated death sequence", I take it most of us mean a movie clip.

CCIP
12-18-06, 12:51 PM
I don't see why it has to be in-engine though. It'd only have to be a scripted animation without needing too much system resources or big development expenditures.

There's lots of ways of doing it. I would love a scary interior animation, but I doubt they will go for it.

The most elegant and least 'controversial' way would be a fade-out from the captain's view followed by a fade-in to an external view of the sub+debri sinking to the bottom, possibly getting crushed by pressure on its way down.

Schatten
12-18-06, 02:55 PM
The most elegant and least 'controversial' way would be a fade-out from the captain's view followed by a fade-in to an external view of the sub+debri sinking to the bottom, possibly getting crushed by pressure on its way down.

That would work for me too, I just think the SH III insta-blackscreen is a little anti-climactic.

Tontoman
01-12-07, 04:50 PM
I'd be happy with some internal damage other than that one pipe that always sprung a leak. So along with fixing the damage model (all the 1 second repairs crap) have more internal animations corresponding to the damage done. So a little leak would be one valve going, heavy leak would be fire hoses going off like in the worst Das Boot scenes :P.

T.