PDA

View Full Version : DD sonar

geezerjo09
12-14-06, 11:53 AM
I was just wondering if DD's sonar will hear you less if you go deeper of if there is no difference. For example, at periscope depth, he can hear you from 6 km(i think) off if your engines are not on silent mode. Maybe he only hears you at 5 if you go 100 m deep? And does the game model any difference between going at say 4 knots and going at 10 in terms of noise made? In 0% realism, the sound meter automatically goes red if you go anywhere faster than ahead slow, but is there a difference between doing 5 knots and ten?

Please don't just answer "Of course there is, if your going at 10 knots your making more noise" I know that. I want to know if the game accurately models that.

MarshalLaw
12-14-06, 11:59 AM
Depends on where you are in relation to the destoryer. The sonar cone is rather small and extends out from the bow. I was detected by a destoryer in the channel once and he picked me up about 2500 meters out. , barely got away that time. Once you are behind a destoryer he will not hear you at all. Hope that helps.

Corsair
12-14-06, 01:30 PM
First it depends from what version you are running as all mods have tweaked AI sensors in their own way...
But all of them model of course basically the depth factor. The deeper you go, the safer you are if detected. If not detected, the layer between 0 and 20m seems to help, your profile towards the searching boat is taken into account, the weather also plays a great role.

Corrupt_File
12-14-06, 01:43 PM
From what I can tell (these are just obervations), the deeper you go, you can use a little more engine power without being killed. This doesn't mean you aren't detected. When you go deep, the water is cooler than the surface, this causes refrection and distortion of the soundwaves (due to the difference in densities). What the DD will "see" is your u-boat behind where it actually is. This is often used in modern warfare (not implemented in the game) but instead of diving specific depths (ie meters) you dive in temperatures (ie deg C). These are called thermals.