PDA

View Full Version : Au Pair Submarine?

Brag
12-09-06, 01:57 PM
Au pair Submarine.
20 November 1941 Taking command of U-106, a type IXB boat I headed to our patrol area northeast of the Azores. Nothing was happening in our area. Following a hunch that things might get hot in the western Atlantic I continued southwestbound for the Anegada passage. I wanted to catch a few British tankers with their pants down.
The famous Azores high behaved as advertised and we enjoyed pleasant, balmy weather.
At 0700 hrs. of 02 December, Funker intercepted a radio message from a ship just south of us. We changed course and ran at full speed to the south. At 0845, we sighted smoke. 2 ships! We closed on one T-2 and a colossal T-3 tanker.
The gun crew lobbed 5 rounds into the T-2, which began to list to starboard and slowed. I then ordered to fire on the T-3, who was trying to escape at high speed. We closed to 1,000 meters and fired a torpedo. The ship slowed and we finished both with the deck gun

On 08 December, still 800 miles from Anegada Passage, we heard from BBC that Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. A message from BDU on 09 December informed us that Curacao was hostile, at 1202 hrs. we received message lifting restrictions against attacking American vessels. On 12 December we entered the Caribbean through the Anegada Passage with 71% of fuel remaining.

Americans now being free game, I headed for Puerto Rico. On 15 December spotted a Tug --sunk it. The 3.8 gun useless in this case. 16 December: loitered in Canal de la Mona --nothing. Headed west. 18 Dec sighted Tug, sank it --another pair.

We hung out in various obvious places, nada. On 24 December sighted 2 light tankers sank them. On 28 December Screw noise led us to another pair--one light and a T-2.

On 02 January, overcast and still dark: 2 airplanes surprised us, a near miss seriously damaged the hull. At 1630 of the same day, 2 American PBY Catalina planes appeared but we dived in time.

Two hours later, we spotted a C-3 cargo, which we required 3 torpedoes to sink and ruin our otherwise perfect record of shooting pairs.

Visit my webbie:

Atlantic Submarine | A submarine simulation journal (http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/) :D

The Munster
12-09-06, 02:06 PM
A great read :yep:
A budding Novelist in our midst here !

Jimbuna
12-09-06, 02:34 PM
Yeah !...well done Brag...a good start...keep it up :yep: :up:

Corsair
12-09-06, 02:46 PM
Nice website.
Keep up the good work...;)