PDA

View Full Version : Cool oldies: Over the Reich/Achtung Spitfire

CCIP
12-04-06, 01:15 PM
Anyone ever played these?

It's a two-part series of 1996/1997 that, at its more basic, is a tactical wargame (and in one limited mode - strategic) - and at higher difficulty levels, about as close as one gets to a 2D, turn-based flight sim :doh:

It seems terribly addictive - a real joy to play. Hard as hell, too - even at simpler difficulty levels, going up with a flight of Hurris against a larger force of Me-109's is as merciless as it should be. The graphics, cartoony though they might be, are actually quite cool.

I recently came across them by accident (yes I realize abandonware is discouraged at subsim; but I was simply too young when snagging a real copy was still realistic) and have enjoyed them quite a lot. In fact I'll even try to trace them down on e-bay somewhere now.

NeonSamurai
12-04-06, 01:28 PM
Ah yes the oldies, i recently dug up and played Gato on dosbox. talk about memories hehe. Dosbox is great for those old dosgames you may have kicking around. Some day i plan on dusting off my ultima collection (fortunatly all on cd) and playing all of it again :)

As for abandonware as you know your not suppost to discuss it here etc. If the game has been released as freeware though then it is of course permited.

CCIP
12-04-06, 01:36 PM
Ah yea, now THAT's a real oldie. I suppose it's all relative.

One nice plus about these, though, is that they were built for Windows 95 and thus require no tricks to run on XP.

I don't know if I'd be able to, say, get back into an old simulator now - however much I loved Silent Service - but a wargame is a different deal. And OtR/AS, to me, still seem fresh enough 10 years on. In fact, ironically I find them about the same graphically as the much more recent Navy Field that's advertised at the top of the page here!

Sailor Steve
12-04-06, 06:18 PM
I still have my old Atari 520ST, and Battlehawks, Their Finest Hour, Silent Service, SSII and Pirates (plus Oids, Wizball and a few other silly games).

TheSatyr
12-11-06, 11:15 AM
I always did wish that someome would make an updated version of OTR/AS,and add in the PTO and Russian theater as well.

Those were highly addictive and enjoyable games.

bradclark1
12-11-06, 11:05 PM
I always did wish that someome would make an updated version of OTR/AS,and add in the PTO and Russian theater as well.

Those were highly addictive and enjoyable games.

Matrix is redoing them.

The Noob
12-12-06, 04:29 AM
I used to play this stuff on Dosbox all the time. Now i just play Counterstrike all the damn time... :damn:

Old gamez are nice.