PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 4 Preview by Aces of the Deep and MarineSims!

CaptainNemo
12-03-06, 06:04 PM
http://www.marinesims.de/phpkit/inhalt/sh4/praes/sh4_praes.jpg

Ahoy comrades!

We from the Aces of the Deep flotilla (www.acesofthedeep.com (http://www.acesofthedeep.com)) and the german naval sim community MarineSims (www.marinesims.de (http://www.marinesims.de)) had the chance to join a Silent Hunter 4 presentation in Duesseldorf / Germany on the 24. November 2006.

You can reach our preview, video material and screenshots at

(Please use Divxplayer (http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/?tiger_aff=s&lang=de&cc=DEU_fcid=000269&gclid=CIHszIa894gCFSeRXgodag0pwg) )

http://www.aotd-clan.com/Bilder/wappenklein.gif (http://www.aotd-flottille.de/phpkit/include.php?path=content/content.php&contentid=358)

or

http://www.marinesims.de/Banner/ms_banner.jpg (http://www.marinesims.de/site/silent-hunter-4/sh4-3.html)

Greetings ! Your nemo!

Sailor Steve
12-03-06, 06:40 PM
WOW!!! Those are great!

I love the new options:

Realistic sonar and radar
Periscopes go up and down
Slideout menus
Chart depths shown, seemingly by color changes (guessing on my part)
Watch shifts (looser crew management)
Self-generating clouds!
Selectable resolutions!!

This is looking good!:rock:

Sulikate
12-03-06, 07:10 PM
WOW! HOLLY C**P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible!

Sulikate
12-03-06, 07:14 PM
OMG I can't believe! Looks soooooo amazing! Great graphics, promissing interface ( crew shifts!!!).

:o:arrgh!:

AG124
12-03-06, 08:27 PM
Looks great to me so far.:o

But what is this about 1945? Has the entire year been omitted from the campaign, or is just not possible to start a career in 1945? In SHIII, you can't start a career after 1943, but you can still play until the end of the war - is the situation in SHIV something similar or a complete cut off? I hope not, as playing in 1945 would actually add another challenge to the game - trying to find enough shipping to sink.

Cpt. Stewker
12-03-06, 08:37 PM
This looks GREAT!

Safe-Keeper
12-03-06, 08:59 PM
Looking awesome, will post more after seeing video!

Periscopes go up and downThey always went up and down, you moron. Try holding Page up/Page down or Insert/Delete, optionally while holding control. Huh, no wonder you're playing with external view on:rotfl:!

I am just so evil:p.

Selectable resolutions!!Finally.

-The whole (!) world is navigable, even the Atlantic is available.Oh ****. Here come the "port GWX and NorOps to SH4!!11" threads:p.

You can clearly make out the impact and in case of a penetration you can even see the interior of the ship in 3D.HO-LEE ****!

But what is this about 1945? Has the entire year been omitted from the campaign, or is just not possible to start a career in 1945?Reading is always a good thing:The dynamic campaign remains the same as in SH 3. You may start between 1941 and 1944. Some may correctly state that the war lasted until 1945 but the historic amount of Japanese ships was so reduced at that time so the last year was not worth of implementing it.

_Seth_
12-03-06, 09:38 PM
I NEED A NEW GRAPHICS CARD TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This is just awesome, but it still remains to see if all this really is implemented, or if its just some promises from ubisoft like the "radio for new patrol area" option...

Safe-Keeper
12-03-06, 09:45 PM
My poor computer, how will she survive this?

OK, feedback time, sorted by category/time in clip. Also some comments on info on Aces of the Deep site.Positive impressions:0:29:Yes, an intro cutscene.
7:20: I'm speechless:o.
9:27: You have to love those tracers!
10:39: The awesome wake graphic.
11:50: Is that an oil derrick?!

These are by no means the only positive impressions of the video, but to mention all of them would take too long.

Article:"The whole menu bar is freely adjustable." Great.

Negative impressions:I recognize, of course, that it's a W. I. P.

1:40: I hope those randomly flashing lights are temporary.
2:44: The map doesn't look very good. Hoping it's W. I. P.
11:15: Light-houses still don't light the surroundings up? But then again, they're obviously the same ones as in Silent Hunter III, so they're probably just place-holders.
Questions about the game:
1:42: What are those things? Torpedo computers?
9:11 (fittingly enough:-?): What the Hell is that enormous explosion in the water?

Looking so incredibly great. Keep it up, you guys!

AG124
12-03-06, 09:58 PM
@ Safe-Keeper - yes, I did read that section, but it still doesn't address my concern. I don't think it is a good idea to cut off the war in 1944, but I am hoping that what the dev team actually meant was that one just cannot start a career in 1945, but can continue with an existing one until the very end of the war. Although the interview leans towards the unfavourable (IMO) former choice, I would like further clarification.

Aarleks
12-03-06, 10:19 PM
Is anyone else having problems playing these videos? I've already got DivXPlayer, but all I get is clicks when I hit play...:damn: :damn:

Aarrghh...

Cpt. Stewker
12-03-06, 10:27 PM
To AG: if you read it carefully, you will see that they specifically say you may start between 1941 and 1944. No where do they say you can't play during 1945, it only states that they didn't think it was nessesary to implement 1945 as a starting year. It would be truly idiotic on their part not to include 1945.

To Aereks: I'm also having trouble with the Dev Diary, no video, only audio with load clicking noises. I got the game footage video to work though fine.

bookworm_020
12-03-06, 10:34 PM
Can the moderators please post the second Dev diray up for others to look at? Better add the photos too.

Ther periscope up/down feature is the scope inside the hull rasies and lowers when you order the scope.

Looking Good!!!:rock::rock:

Now I've got to find a slim line AGP card to run it:cry: HELP!:lost:

Safe-Keeper
12-03-06, 10:40 PM
The way I read it is actually that they haven't implemented 1945. Either way, it's something that'll probably be easily moddable. No worries, I say.

And if it's not included, it's still no biggie. After all, if January-Atomic Bomb 1945 will be historically easy, there's no real reason to implement it. Quite frankly, it'd be quite boring to sail around with virtually no enemies whatsoever (I'm also reminded of the worries of many community members that it's a flawed approach to let the player play as the Americans because it'll result in the game being too easy at the end).

SmithN23
12-03-06, 11:09 PM
Is anyone else having problems playing these videos? I've already got DivXPlayer, but all I get is clicks when I hit play...:damn: :damn:

Aarrghh...
I was getting the same thing, I ended up uninstalling divx and I was going to reinstall it, but I thought I would try to play the videos and it worked with divx uninstalled, not sure if it will work for you or not, but it is worth a shot. You can also try, after you've uninstalled to try to install the new version. Hope this helps.

_Seth_
12-03-06, 11:42 PM
Im adding the in-game vid to youtube. link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSrzv6RbJo0

Safe-Keeper
12-04-06, 12:24 AM
One other issue of mine is that single-player missions apparently are the same style as those in Silent Hunter III: You're simply put in front of the target and told to approach, aim, and pull the trigger. "There's your gun, there's your target, now shoot". With all due respect, I'd prefer deeper, more complex missions that had you receive your orders, hunt down your target, and then attack.

All my critisism aside, though this is looking to be a great title.

And what's "Go To Game", I wonder? A handy quick-start option?

Ship Hunter
12-04-06, 12:43 AM
@Safe-Keeper

1:40: I hope those randomly flashing lights are temporary.
2:44: The map doesn't look very good. Hoping it's W. I. P.

I was sitting in the presentation too, the Version we saw was a newer with more features, also the map looked different, better and high-res

And yes these flashing lights are WIP!

Ship Hunter
12-04-06, 12:49 AM
@All

I compressed those In-Game Footage Video, you need DivX 6.40 and it works!!!

If you have problems playing with DivX or DivX Player de-install it and download K-Lite Codec Pack, install it with MPC and your problems will be gone.

Gizzmoe
12-04-06, 01:13 AM
Here is a 56k-friendlier version of the gameplay video, itīs 54MB instead of the original 200MB:
http://files.filefront.com/gameplay_footage_SH4_56kavi/;6294676;;/fileinfo.html

DivX or XviD codec required.

Resolution: 640x480
Sound: MP3, 128 kbps

The Noob
12-04-06, 01:40 AM
I'm on 768 speed so your Version is greatly appreciated Gizzmoe. Danke! :up:

So far this looks awsome. Now i really wanna "pwnz0r" (as we CS players say), the Japanese navy!

WilhelmSchulz.
12-04-06, 02:11 AM
Can somone Youtube the Dev Diary pt.2

Also can somone pass me on what the Aces of the Deep said I cant vew that sight(why I dont know) :damn:

Gizzmoe
12-04-06, 02:15 AM
Also can somone pass me on what the Aces of the Deep said I cant vew that sight(why I dont know) :damn:
Try Marinesims.de, itīs the same article:
http://www.marinesims.de/site/silent-hunter-4/sh4-3.html

Ship Hunter
12-04-06, 02:31 AM
I already uploaded the Dev Diary Part 2 at Youtube...but it's processing.

At MarineSims.de there is the Dev Diary Part 2 as WMV!!!!

Although i recompressed the In-Game Footage to 84Mb...uploading it right now.

_Seth_
12-04-06, 02:35 AM
I already uploaded the Dev Diary Part 2 at Youtube...but it's processing.

At MarineSims.de there is the Dev Diary Part 2 as WMV!!!!

Although i recompressed the In-Game Footage to 84Mb...uploading it right now.
Ok, i have also uploaded the dev diary II to youtube.... If you have done it, i could cancel the processing on my upload, mate! :up::up:

Edit: ok, its up. If you want me to delete mine, is no probs! But we could use both anyway!

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSr3NXCXYOk

Ship Hunter
12-04-06, 02:44 AM
No mate it's okay...i have to thank you!

I only wanted to have the Version with this "brought to you by" at Youtube ;)

_Seth_
12-04-06, 02:48 AM
No mate it's okay...i have to thank you!

I only wanted to have the Version with this "brought to you by" at Youtube ;)

Thanx matey! :up:

Ship Hunter
12-04-06, 02:54 AM
Okay...new file is up...78Mb Zip Archive...Video is 84Mb decompressed from the archive.

Immacolata
12-04-06, 06:30 AM
Blimey. Those orange explosions and that smoke. and that water. Out of this world! I sure hope the Pacific theatre will be as exciting as the Atlantic.

Redwine
12-04-06, 07:45 AM
Lot of good improvements, as all world navigable, canon shell holes modelated... :D but nothing about thermal layers and baththermograph. :hmm:

THE_MASK
12-04-06, 08:31 AM
Quote "The whole (!) world is navigable, even the Atlantic is available." Get ready GWX team . This modable SH4 game is for you .

TDK1044
12-04-06, 08:42 AM
To those who have questioned if the DEVS are aware of the concerns expressed in this Forum, I think your question is answered. SH4 is going to be very good indeed, and it will address many of the issues that concerned us in SH3.

This game will be worth every penny you pay for it.

THE_MASK
12-04-06, 08:51 AM
Does that look like my real smoke mod or what .

stabiz
12-04-06, 08:52 AM
Those ho have problems with viewing videos, get VLC, it plays anything:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Sulikate
12-04-06, 09:00 AM
To those who have questioned if the DEVS are aware of the concerns expressed in this Forum, I think your question is answered. SH4 is going to be very good indeed, and it will address many of the issues that concerned us in SH3.

This game will be worth every penny you pay for it.
Agreed.

Safe-Keeper
12-04-06, 11:04 AM
Quote "The whole (!) world is navigable, even the Atlantic is available." Get ready GWX team . This modable SH4 game is for you .I predict in the near a reluctant team grudgingly announcing a port and an even more hesistant Safe-Keeper declaring his intent to make NorOps 2.

Someone hide us:o...

_Seth_
12-04-06, 11:05 AM
@ safe-keeper: check PM

Syxx_Killer
12-04-06, 11:36 AM
After seeing the gameplay footage I simply can't wait for this game. It is gonna rock. It will be a very welcome change from U-boats. The water and ship wakes look fantastic. Was it just me or did anyone else want to press the + button to increase time compression to see the torpedoes hit quicker? Or press the Del button to remove the guages from the external view? When the torpedo finally struck the ship I wanted to press Ctrl & F11 to see what the framerate was. :88):rotfl:

Sailor Steve
12-04-06, 11:47 AM
Things I noticed:

They have the helmsman modelled as well as the two planesmen.:up:

Dynamic wake; ripples streaming off the sides as well as the foam.:up:

Guages get bigger when you place the cursor over them.:up:

Periscopes going up when you click on them.:up:

No crewmembers in the conning tower.:down:

I'm sure there are many things I didn't notice, but then I have a limited time online and have to rush through long videos, plus no sound.

Subnuts
12-04-06, 01:53 PM
My favorite part of the ingame footage were the interior shots, which must make me a total nerd! :rotfl:

BH
12-04-06, 02:01 PM
Has anyone heard anything new regarding release date?

AG124
12-04-06, 02:12 PM
I assume that the specific release date won't be announced until early 2007 - maybe a couple of months before the actual release. I could be wrong though. As of now, it is still Q1 2007, I think.

WilhelmSchulz.
12-04-06, 02:53 PM
The only thing is that the conning tower is empty. And thats the busyest place submerged!
And only one dive plane oprator is modled! :damn:

SmithN23
12-04-06, 04:39 PM
The only thing is that the conning tower is empty. And thats the busyest place submerged!
And only one dive plane oprator is modled! :damn:

Just keep in mind that the game is not finished yet and I'm sure that the devs are watching the forums and taking notes.

mookiemookie
12-04-06, 11:03 PM
Wow...look at that water, man! That's just pretty!

But I gotta say....whoever was firing off those torpedos was a pretty poor shot! :rotfl:

darius359au
12-04-06, 11:14 PM
Thats Sweet , Im thinking Im going to be taking a Pacific cruise once Im finished in the Atlantic :D , and Ive gotta agree with mookiemookie , whoever's firing those Torps needs lessons

Pants
12-04-06, 11:28 PM
Strange, dont know if anyne else has noticed this.
Look at the torpedo selection on the right, when on PS mode.
It looks as if there is no "Lock" button to lock onto targets, only a red Light that comes on only on certain ships..it kinda looks like a IFF :hmm:
Could anyone else confirm this please. I may have missed it.

edjcox
12-04-06, 11:39 PM
:p

Alright already....

Need to get a bigger scope view, get rid of the large dark fields adjacent to the image except for a small area around the ocular. This was one of the early fixes in SHIII and am surprised that the Persicope view slps bac to that in SH4 or am I missing something.

It does appear as if the Periscope shears are to close together for the attack scope and the observation scope to be employed simultaneously or is that just a projection illusion.

Loving the damage and the debris in the waters. Realistically an aircraft would not loop about underwater like the Floatplane shown. It would sink slowly and with little looping etc. Perhaps a wing would break off, etc. Very interesting hull dmage effects. Streaming fuels, bubbles and black oils in streaks may improve the effect..

I can't wait to get this on my machine....

:rotfl:

Keep the peeks coming..

The Noob
12-04-06, 11:45 PM
Stay calm people, it's an early version. Putting in a few more crewman is not a problem for the devs and they still have a few months till release.

I like the new scope, its way more realistic the way it is now in SH4!

But I gotta say....whoever was firing off those torpedos was a pretty poor shot! :rotfl:
lol i thought "WTF? What a n00b is playing this? Can't the devs play thier own game or what?" while watching the movie... :rotfl::rotfl::up:

mookiemookie
12-05-06, 12:02 AM
lol i thought "WTF? What a n00b is playing this? Can't the devs play thier own game or what?" while watching the movie... :rotfl::rotfl::up:

We can use this as a visual illustration of why it pays to open your torpedo tubes before firing! :up:

CCIP
12-05-06, 12:17 AM
Wow. If this doesn't silence the naysayers, I don't know what will. This definitely will NOT be SHIII with a Pacific skin on top of it, the engine is definitely growing proportionately. I just hope it doesn't get to be too much of a beast for me to run well!

I have nothing to add, except that this sounds and looks really great.

CCIP
12-05-06, 01:12 AM
Oh, PS - the new crew management looks really great! Just what I thought it would be.

SmithN23
12-05-06, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet but if the load time that was shown in the footage is the actual load time then it has been greatly improved. Unless they just sped the movie up there....

Pants
12-05-06, 07:59 AM
More likely they removed the reload time, for dev testing.

AS
12-05-06, 08:53 AM
Nice footage, the interior has improved much. Sadly thereīs nothing about the campaign, so far it looks like an improved SH3 add-on to me. Anyway, Iīll buy it blindly, having a gorgeous time while hoping for SHV back in the Atlantic.

Cheers, AS

The General
12-05-06, 11:36 AM
Fantastic stuff! I guess they deliberately didn't show the seabed, probably 'cos it wasn't finished. Also, the underwater footage didn't include the particles (plankton, bubbles and whatever)and the beams of sunlight, that we've seen them in recent stills. They'd help to enhance the sense of motion through the water and add atmosphere.

Message to the Development Team: Please!! When on deck (ie. not the free-roaming camera mode), lock the camera view paralell with the sea-bed and not the deck. This'll enhance the sense of the boat pitching and rolling beneath your feet and look much more realistic in heavy swells and when diving & surfacing at steep angles. I believe the GWX team has done something similar.

Great work guys! :up:

dean_acheson
12-05-06, 11:57 AM
any updated eta on this?

I can't wait for it, I know that this is well-nigh blasphemy in these circles, but I prefer a GATO to a VII or a IX.... (dodges sticks and rocks)

The control room was great, with the guy scratching his neck... whoa!

I can't wait to see the other rooms. Anyone know what else is modeled?

Looks great! I really can't wait for this at all! yeehaa!:D

TinCan
12-05-06, 03:05 PM
:rock: Talk about cutting edge, WOW :rock:

WilhelmSchulz.
12-05-06, 03:15 PM
:p
Need to get a bigger scope view, get rid of the large dark fields adjacent to the image except for a small area around the ocular. This was one of the early fixes in SHIII and am surprised that the Persicope view slps bac to that in SH4 or am I missing something.

Well thats all the Comander saw when looking through the scope so I like it.

Loaf
12-05-06, 03:35 PM
... :D but nothing about thermal layers and baththermograph. :hmm:

Since SHI modelled both of these things, there would be NO excuse to fail to do so in SHIV... In SHI you got a bathythermograph at the point in your career when they were historically available.

Of course, SHI also had a time compression feature that worked perfectly at any speed, and verbal reports from the crew to alert you to any notable event... Unlike either SHII or SHIII!

Notice how clean and brightly-lit the US sub looks after the grimy, gloomy interiors of SHIII? Actually, when I visited the Gato-class USS Drum in Mobile, Alabama that is just what it was like - lots of bright light and shiny linoleum. I wonder if the dank and gloomy atmosphere in SHIII is historical or just playing to the expectations of all us Das Boot fanatics? You just know that the guys in that depressing SHIII control room are going to lose the war! The US sailors even have cleaner clothes...

Loaf
12-05-06, 03:41 PM
I notice that this video clip adheres to the long-standing tradition of the Silent Hunter franchise - any game trailer MUST devote at least 50% of its time to shots of battleships.

WilhelmSchulz.
12-05-06, 03:42 PM
They realy went overbopard with the explosions. :down:

Loaf
12-05-06, 03:45 PM
[quote=WilhelmSchulz.]The only thing is that the conning tower is empty. And thats the busyest place submerged!

As I recall from visiting the USS Drum, the conning tower of a Gato sub is REALLY cramped - claustrophobic, in fact. I doubt that there could possibly have been more than one or two people in there with the skipper... I think a lot of the work on the attack may have taken place down in the control room?

Anybody know how the conning tower was actually manned in an attack?

Subnuts
12-05-06, 04:24 PM
[quote=WilhelmSchulz.

Anybody know how the conning tower was actually manned in an attack?

Well, at the very least you'd have two crewmembers manning the radar, the one at the TDC, and one at the plotting table. Plus you'd have the skipper, the helmsman, and XO in there too. While running submerged you'd also have someone at the hydrophone station.

This site gives a good overview:

http://www.maritime.org/tour/tctvr.htm

Loaf
12-05-06, 04:41 PM
Funny - I thought I remembered the TDC and the helm in the control room... I must not be remembering correctly. My visit to the USS Drum was a while ago!

dean_acheson
12-05-06, 05:29 PM
I am soooo ready for this game.

It seems like SH3 is kinda dark, from photos that I have seen from the U-505, and some of my U-Boat books.

Dark and Dirty.

I can't help but think, that while the boats might have been stank as all git-out, they would have been decently clean and bright in the control sections.

http://www.uboat.net/gallery/index.html?gallery=U995A&img=9

I for one, think that the SH4 boat looks a bit dingy.....

sergbuto
12-05-06, 05:37 PM
Things I noticed:

They have the helmsman modelled as well as the two planesmen.:up:

Dynamic wake; ripples streaming off the sides as well as the foam.:up:

Guages get bigger when you place the cursor over them.:up:

Periscopes going up when you click on them.:up:

No crewmembers in the conning tower.:down:

I'm sure there are many things I didn't notice, but then I have a limited time online and have to rush through long videos, plus no sound.

I am more worried about an access to various controls, buttons, handles, knobs, switches, TDC and gauges in 3D. The huge/enlarged gauges, pull-outs and other 2D stuff are not much of interest to me. I hope SH4 will not be a step back in this (3D-access) sense as compared with SH3. It is difficult judge about this aspect from the video.

Safe-Keeper
12-05-06, 08:58 PM
I'm looking forward to the third developer diary. Will be nice to see
The answer to our Swedish friend's question above.
What the damage effects will look like.
Whether or not there are more crewman animations (ducking, repairing, looking in terror at a fire, etc.).
Whether or not there'll be situations such as fires, thick smoke, battery acid leaks, and so on.
Whether or not you'll actually see crewmen run through the compartment when ordered to go somewhere.

LukeFF
12-06-06, 12:56 AM
Looking great!

Gino
12-06-06, 08:20 AM
Are we the only ones that saw that the Torpedoes should not explode?

In the movie they show the torpedoes having yellow warheads. The only topedoes that have yellow warheads are practice torpedoes! So they should not explode... They should merely run a certain distance and then pump out the ballast so they would stick out of the water. I think where the developers went wrong is in the displays that are shown all over the museum boats, that show practice torpedoes.
This is because most of the 'real' torpedoes were fired in WW2.

The actual torpedoes were not painted, had therefore a metal finish and were protected from rust and other corrosion with some kind of black grease.

The rest of the movie looks cool, I saw a lot of our boat in it...

irish1958
12-06-06, 08:31 AM
Gino,
They have to leave SOME work for the modelers.

Konovalov
12-06-06, 09:00 AM
I'm impressed by that fact that the developers really appeared to have listened to the Silent Hunter community with regards to improvements over SHIII. Can't wait for more previews and bits of new info.

Apeboy
12-06-06, 11:25 AM
I am soooo ready for this game.

I can't help but think, that while the boats might have been stank as all git-out, they would have been decently clean and bright in the control sections.

http://www.uboat.net/gallery/index.html?gallery=U995A&img=9

I for one, think that the SH4 boat looks a bit dingy.....

Agree. It does have alot of brown to it. Even outside at the port has a industrial, gotham city type atmosphere. Not the bright, airy, palm tree blowing in the wind enviroment.

The General
12-06-06, 12:03 PM
Fantastic stuff! I guess they deliberately didn't show the seabed, probably 'cos it wasn't finished. Also, the underwater footage didn't include the particles (plankton, bubbles and whatever)and the beams of sunlight, that we've seen them in recent stills. They'd help to enhance the sense of motion through the water and add atmosphere.

Message to the Development Team: Please!! When on deck (ie. not the free-roaming camera mode), lock the camera view paralell with the sea-bed and not the deck. This'll enhance the sense of the boat pitching and rolling beneath your feet and look much more realistic in heavy swells and when diving & surfacing at steep angles. I believe the GWX team has done something similar.

Great work guys!

AJ!
12-06-06, 03:49 PM
Look at the cannon fire from the yamato :o

Also sounds awsome that we get to explore the whole world!

bookworm_020
12-06-06, 08:28 PM
Nice to see a better underwater damage model! Harbours look a bit more alive now (I know it's still a work in progress) It was fun to watch the battle, they put a lot of effot into desigh and it shows.

Two things I want to point out (this not about the work they've done) The guy who was firing the torpedos wouldn't be allowed on my boat! What a waste!
Second was the deck gun action, I know they wanted to show it off to us, but they could have picked a better target! HMMMM:hmm: 4" pop gun against 1 battleship! Even Mush Morton would have steered clear of that!

flyingdane
12-06-06, 08:29 PM
Pretty dam cool!!:rock:

Safe-Keeper
12-06-06, 09:19 PM
Yeah, they should've made a separate mission for the deck gun. It just looked silly to surface right next to a huge ship that way.

Also sounds awsome that we get to explore the whole world!Yup. Looking forward to seeing what the Norse fjords look like.

Damn this temptation to make NorOps 2:damn:!

Harbours look a bit more alive now (I know it's still a work in progress
The harbour seems to be a port of Silent Hunter III's harbour, and as such is probably a placeholder. Not that it doesn't look good, what with the moving cranes and light-houses that light up the water (they don't in the movie, but they do in a screen-shot).

TheSatyr
12-08-06, 04:02 AM
From looking at the crew management thing,it appears that 2 people are supposed to be in the conning tower. I'm guessing sonar and radio/radar operator.

Could be wrong though,the text was a little blurry.

The General
12-08-06, 09:06 AM
I'm I wrong in thinking the forward dive-planes (on the sub shown in the video)should be in the up and locked position for cruising on the surface?

Sailor Steve
12-08-06, 11:18 AM
No, you're absolutely right. The forward planes should be rigged in for surface running. I didn't even notice that.

[edit] I just looked at the video again and when the sub is running into the harbor, and in some other scenes, the bow planes are up.

SmithN23
12-09-06, 03:06 PM
My guess is that the bow planes will do the same thing as the XXI in SH3 after a few minutes they retract and when you are ready to dive they come back out

_Seth_
12-09-06, 03:11 PM
The guy who was firing the torpedos wouldn't be allowed on my boat! What a waste!
Sorry guys, but this confirmes the existence of the "pacific Bernard"...:shifty:

TheSatyr
12-10-06, 09:41 PM
Not quite as bad as Bernard however...he would have torpedoed his own ship.

Corsair
12-11-06, 05:08 AM
Safe Keeper : "The harbour seems to be a port of Silent Hunter III's harbour, and as such is probably a placeholder. Not that it doesn't look good, what with the moving cranes and light-houses that light up the water (they don't in the movie, but they do in a screen-shot)."

Considering from reading threads on subsim forums that a lot of people complain they can't leave harbour fast enough on high TC (which means they are probably on the map screen) and that most also use the "teleport" function to end their patrols, I think the dev team doesn't want to spend too much time redesigning the whole thing.
I wonder what percentage of players get out of harbour at TCx1 following the escort and enjoying the landscape, and do the same on return, waiting outside for the escort and taking the sub all the way to parking place at TCx1. (I do, but I'm probably nuts...:D)

The Avon Lady
12-11-06, 08:39 AM
I just hope we get appropriate background music, Like Yankee Doodle Dandy. :p

Sailor Steve
12-11-06, 11:21 AM
I just hope we get appropriate background music, Like Yankee Doodle Dandy. :p
I don't know about background music, but I'm sure I'll have Begin The Beguine, In The Mood and Sentimental Journey on my record player (it's only a gramaphone in Europe:rotfl: ).

Payoff
01-14-07, 10:49 PM
Agreed, the guy firing those torps is fired. Did anyone notice that the realism setting was at 29%. Either this one is going to be very challenging, or that triangle dependant Wep Officer just sucks. I like the "whiz wheel" thingy at the attack scope taking place of the "notepad", for data collection. This clip did not show any rigged for red scenarios, but I do hope the Devs will revert back to user control of interior lighting, such as almost every sub sim I can think of has done. I really liked the raising/lowering of the scopes into the wells. I've missed that since AOD. Looks great so far. :up:

immortal44
02-11-07, 10:18 PM
Agreed, the guy firing those torps is fired. Did anyone notice that the realism setting was at 29%

It's possible he was just firing them roughly to give an impression of what the overall gameplay is like? You can't blame the weapons officer, I don't think he was consulted?

The game looks great but I was hoping for a functional nav map integrated into the control room. Just want to spend 100% of my time in the control room or bridge ;)

charlesmester
02-12-07, 01:34 PM
Is there anyway to get the review in english.

Regards

Chuck

Gizzmoe
02-12-07, 02:05 PM
Is there anyway to get the review in english.

http://www.marinesims.de/site/silent-hunter-4/sh4-3.html