PDA

View Full Version : BDU Q?

K_Sea6
11-29-06, 02:36 PM
I just started playing again after a long hiatus and I have TGW1.1a downloaded along with commander 2.6. anyway I'm out on my second patrol when I get a distress call asking for fire assistanse at a paticular grid location I think it was something 40.38N 38.42W what ever it was there was no chart for me to pull and find grids so I googled the grid location and whatever it was put my right smack dab in the middle of Yemen, not even in water so my question is,

are the reports from bdu and other boats just fluff msg's for added atmosphere
or do they hold some sort of significantes and if they are significant

what would be the easiest way for someone to find a grid location for anyone who has tried this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated .

Kerry

bigboywooly
11-29-06, 02:51 PM
Hi
The messages are historical uboat radio messages
Not sure how that one is in Yemen though

Try this for conversions

http://www.ubootwaffe.net/quadrant.cgi

mookiemookie
11-29-06, 03:11 PM
As bigboywooly stated, the messages are true to life and historic but they don't refer to anything going on the SH3 world. Like if you had a radio message where another U-boat was reporting a convoy in Grid BE blah blah, historically that was true but it won't be there in SH3.

So the short answer is yes, they're fluff. Pretty cool immersive fluff, but fluff nonetheless. :)

AVGWarhawk
11-29-06, 03:47 PM
Yes, fluff. Last patrol I got a radio message stating everything at Walmart will be 50% off for the entire day after Christmas. Weird but I checked the local papers anyway.:D

Jimbuna
11-29-06, 05:43 PM
Tis 'mind candy' only...more for game immersion :D

Albrecht Von Hesse
11-29-06, 06:16 PM
Yes, fluff. Last patrol I got a radio message stating everything at Walmart will be 50% off for the entire day after Christmas. Weird but I checked the local papers anyway.:D

You think that's bad?

Last week I was being pinged by several Black Swans that wanted my head on a platter, so I went to silent running. When the blue lights went on, everyone started screaming about K-Mart having a special!

nightdagger
11-29-06, 11:14 PM
Looks like Bernard got ahold of the radio again.

Safe-Keeper
11-29-06, 11:30 PM
Yes, fluff. Last patrol I got a radio message stating everything at Walmart will be 50% off for the entire day after Christmas. Weird but I checked the local papers anyway.:DHush. Battlefield 2142 has spyware installed that scans your browser records and displays ads in-game accordingly. If you don't shut it, Ubisoft could get ideas. I don't want my game spywaring my hard drive and then playing advertisements on my radio.

"S-89, support operations against Japanese convoy 250k south of Iwo Jima."
"S-89 copies, en-route, ETA 3 hours."
"TOKYO ROSE HERE, ANNOUNCING THAT BRITNEY SPEARS' NEW CD IS OUT!!111 ALL US SKIPPERS HEAD HOME&BUY!!!!!111"
"S-89 here, what the Hell was that?"
"S348FE-KE94PE4FKJS BU8439Y CH39P DFJKRUGZ N04W!!!1111"
"Command, we've got a gatecrasher her--"
"YOUR SILENT HUNTER 4 PATROL WILL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THESE MESSAGES!!11"
[Game automatically forces you to watch eight ads for penis enlargement, Zoloft, and the newest blockbuster movie exploiting yet another recent tragic incident, war, or otherwise]

Worst thing is, it doesn't sound that unlikely either, which is why I don't find it too funny:-?.

mookiemookie
11-30-06, 07:38 AM
It's closer to reality than you think, Safe Keeper: http://news.com.com/Gunning+for+game+dollars/2100-1043_3-5809305.html

THE_MASK
11-30-06, 07:41 AM
What blue lights ?

AVGWarhawk
11-30-06, 09:48 AM
What blue lights ?

At Kmart that sells the usual crap like toys and household items, when the blue light is turned on there is a sale somewhere in the store if not the entire store.;) It's the blue light special!

AVGWarhawk
11-30-06, 09:50 AM
It's closer to reality than you think, Safe Keeper: http://news.com.com/Gunning+for+game+dollars/2100-1043_3-5809305.html

Well, that is just swell. In SH4 I guess leaving port we will see a Coke-a-Cola billboard on the shoreline:nope:

Safe-Keeper
11-30-06, 10:05 AM
Well, it's as the article says. TV is in a decline and advertisers are realizing that there's money to be made on advertising in video games. I suppose the philosophy is that if they can interrupt TV broadcasts with ads, they can do the same with video games.

Well, that is just swell. In SH4 I guess leaving port we will see a Coke-a-Cola billboard on the shoreline:nope:Wouldn't surprise me the least. In Battlefield 2142 there are ads for things on sale in 2006. I don't have the game, but it has to ruin immersion big time to see advertisements for a 2006 I-Pod in a world set in 2142. It'd be akin to someone advertising for a 386 computer today:nope:.

_Seth_
11-30-06, 10:16 AM
Yes, fluff. Last patrol I got a radio message stating everything at Walmart will be 50% off for the entire day after Christmas. Weird but I checked the local papers anyway.:DHush. Battlefield 2142 has spyware installed that scans your browser records and displays ads in-game accordingly. If you don't shut it, Ubisoft could get ideas. I don't want my game spywaring my hard drive and then playing advertisements on my radio.

"S-89, support operations against Japanese convoy 250k south of Iwo Jima."
"S-89 copies, en-route, ETA 3 hours."
"TOKYO ROSE HERE, ANNOUNCING THAT BRITNEY SPEARS' NEW CD IS OUT!!111 ALL US SKIPPERS HEAD HOME&BUY!!!!!111"
"S-89 here, what the Hell was that?"
"S348FE-KE94PE4FKJS BU8439Y CH39P DFJKRUGZ N04W!!!1111"
"Command, we've got a gatecrasher her--"
"YOUR SILENT HUNTER 4 PATROL WILL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THESE MESSAGES!!11"
[Game automatically forces you to watch eight ads for penis enlargement, Zoloft, and the newest blockbuster movie exploiting yet another recent tragic incident, war, or otherwise]

Worst thing is, it doesn't sound that unlikely either, which is why I don't find it too funny:-?.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:It is funny! But sadly, its seems like its the future.. In that case;: Will the games be cheaper to buy, since they are sponsored by external companies?

AVGWarhawk
11-30-06, 10:21 AM
Well, it's as the article says. TV is in a decline and advertisers are realizing that there's money to be made on advertising in video games. I suppose the philosophy is that if they can interrupt TV broadcasts with ads, they can do the same with video games.

Well, that is just swell. In SH4 I guess leaving port we will see a Coke-a-Cola billboard on the shoreline:nope:Wouldn't surprise me the least. In Battlefield 2142 there are ads for things on sale in 2006. I don't have the game, but it has to ruin immersion big time to see advertisements for a 2006 I-Pod in a world set in 2142. It'd be akin to someone advertising for a 386 computer today:nope:.

Come to think of it I see the advertisments on the console games my kids play. Sony Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. Good gobs of booger snot, what is the world coming too????????:damn:

Segwin
11-30-06, 10:36 AM

The Zoloft is there incase the penis enlargement didn't work.

Sailor Steve
11-30-06, 11:33 AM
Good gobs of booger snot...
And AVGWarhawk was heard to swear a might oath, one that shook the very heavens!:rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't resist; that was one I had not heard before.:rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
11-30-06, 12:07 PM
Good gobs of booger snot... And AVGWarhawk was heard to swear a might oath, one that shook the very heavens!:rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't resist; that was one I had not heard before.:rotfl:

;):shifty::up: