PDA

View Full Version : Please don't tell me it's that simple

Mr.Werner
11-27-06, 06:32 PM
to see if the enemy has disengaged, all you have to do is look at your crew animation?
If they stop squatting and/or whispering I know everything is ok?
Please tell me this is not always the case!

AVGWarhawk
11-27-06, 08:29 PM
Ok I won't say it but it does not mean it does'nt happens.:shifty: You should see your guys when radar comes out. Man, with the aluminum foil hats on the watch crew they pick up everything.

toscanopat
11-27-06, 09:02 PM
Hi,
I hope I am positng this correctly. I am having trouble with the torpedo tutorial. I have no trouble hitting the coastal freighter but rarely anything else. My torpedoes seem to just miss the propeller/strearing area. I have no trouble setting the range but get very odd speeds, usually 1-2 knots only. I have followed the steps correctly but am still having the frustrasting of rarely being able to hit anything otehr than the coastasl freighter.

Ahy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paultoscano-pat@awi.co.jp (Paultoscano-pat@awi.co.jp)

TarJak
11-27-06, 10:06 PM
Hi,
I hope I am positng this correctly. I am having trouble with the torpedo tutorial. I have no trouble hitting the coastal freighter but rarely anything else. My torpedoes seem to just miss the propeller/strearing area. I have no trouble setting the range but get very odd speeds, usually 1-2 knots only. I have followed the steps correctly but am still having the frustrasting of rarely being able to hit anything otehr than the coastasl freighter.

Thanks,

Firstly welcome aboard!

Are you using any mods and are you using manual or automatic targetting? In the tutorials start off with a lower level of difficulty and with help from your weapons officer on. That turns on auto targetting.

If you are already in that position you need to get your sub as close to a 90 degree angle on bow (AOB) as you can so that your eels have the best chance of hitting the target.

Also check out this thread as most of the basics are covered here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96026 and the community wiki at http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page

U-104
11-27-06, 10:09 PM
to see if the enemy has disengaged, all you have to do is look at your crew animation?
If they stop squatting and/or whispering I know everything is ok?
Please tell me this is not always the case!

it does mean that you are not detected but you could be detected at any time.

peterloo
11-28-06, 04:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

Have you opened your torpedo door before firing? That's necessary. Press the Q button and wait for 5 seconds, the torpedo door will be opened. Since the ship is moving and you only input solution before you fire (Once you click "Fire", you cannot alter torpedo solutions any more). So, open the door when you are calculating your solution. Once your solution is out, fire the fish. This will make the hitting rate faster.

also, try to hit it with AOB = 90 degrees / run the fish under keel. This makes the fish working with the best result

Safe-Keeper
11-28-06, 04:36 AM
And remember that the torpedo tutorial is damned hard. It's harder than just about anything else in the whole game. So don't be discouraged if you can't do it.

Corsair
11-28-06, 04:42 AM
also, try to hit it with AOB = 90 degrees / run the fish under keel. This makes the fish working with the best result

Wait... if you run the fish under keel, it means you use the magnetic fuse. If so the 90° AOB is not very important. The side AOB is only important if you use impact fuse to avoid bouncing. And moreover the magnetic fuse is bugged early in the war.

So let's not confuse our friend there who is obviously in the starting process. Best imho at that stage is to learn to shoot properly (as said above most important to open tubes before firing) at short to medium range from 90° on one side with torps set 3 / 4m deep and impact fuse.

Mr.Werner
11-28-06, 09:18 AM
HELP MY THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!

I started this talking about crew animation telling you when you were safe!

HIJACKERS!! HIJACKERS!! HELP!!

Mr.Werner
11-28-06, 09:20 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

Hey why dont you go start a topic of your own you #$%^ noob, what r u doing posting in my topic???

danlisa
11-28-06, 09:22 AM
Hah Hah, things can easily go off track...

Back OT,

Yes, Unfortunately, your crew will always 'duck' for cover when the enemy has spotted you, this is hardcoded into the game and can't be changed.

Sailor Steve
11-28-06, 11:50 AM
Also, when you're submerged and the enemy detects you they automatically start whispering. Those are two of my biggest complaints: even if you disable the "We've been detected, Sir" texts, the crew still starts acting like they know. I only want them to whisper when I order silent running, and I don't want absolute confirmation about what the enemy knows based on my crews' reactions.:up:

CptGrayWolf
11-28-06, 11:59 AM
Great, we have a sure fire way of knowing when we are detected and when the enemy stops hunting us. :damn:
Doesn't this take away ALOT of the suspense!?
Sailor Steve I know you said you can't go back to AoD...but man!
I'm really trying hard here...must...stay...with SHIII...

Lanzfeld
12-10-06, 03:18 PM
This really is bad news. :nope:

What the hell were they thinking?:damn:

hyperion2206
12-10-06, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Hey why dont you go start a topic of your own you #$%^ noob, what r u doing posting in my topic???

A perfect example for the proverbial German friendliness!:p:rotfl:

nightdagger
12-10-06, 05:56 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

I didn't even think about this, though, until you posted it. Way to ruin it lol.

The General
12-13-06, 06:27 AM
ROFLMAO!!!

I didn't even think about this, though, until you posted it. Way to ruin it lol.Amen to that! Let's hope they fix this with SH4.

JSalinger
12-13-06, 07:45 AM
HELP MY THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!

I started this talking about crew animation telling you when you were safe!

HIJACKERS!! HIJACKERS!! HELP!!

*crashes through the ceiling windows with a team of Israeli commandos, movie theater-style*

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D