PDA

View Full Version : The "red light" effect

Konovalov
11-21-06, 08:01 AM
I am looking to achieve a little more immersion in my SHIII which is already rocking with GWX and SHIII Commander. At present I close the curtains to my room because bright light makes it difficult to make out objects during nightime/darkness. Some times I go as far as turning out the light and leaving the room in darkness which means the only illumination comes from my computer screen.

Has anyone used a red light globe in their room? If so is it really as simple as buying a can of red spraypaint and applying it over a standard light bulb? I would like to implement this if it works. Does this work? :-?

This would be as far as I take it because the idea of throwing buckets of salt water in my face whilst around electrical and electronic equipment doesn't appeal to me and I would have great difficulty explaining such to my better half. :lol:

NipplesTheCat
11-21-06, 08:08 AM
Painting a standard light bulb is a no no. Light bulbs can get pretty hot and paint can get pretty flamable.:yep: They do have all kinds of red light bulbs though, especially this time of year (x-mas red\green bulbs). I have purchsed a few over the years for xmas. I have also used them to light my desk without waking people up. Try walmart or lowes, home depot etc. I think I have gotten them there before.

This is what you are looking for. http://www.shop.com/op/~Red_Light_Bulb-prod-33379043-43657571?sourceid=298

Konovalov
11-21-06, 08:11 AM
Painting a standard light bulb is a no no. Light bulbs can get pretty hot and paint can get pretty flamable.:yep:

Thanks. That's what I thought. So there should be retailers who sell them. I guess Christmas is the best time for this.

Marhkimov
11-21-06, 08:12 AM
Oooh, uhhh... Don't paint your lightbulb...

I know for certain that you can get standard 100w red lightbulbs at any home depot or similar hardware store, not to mention that red shouldn't be too hard to locate this time of year...

NipplesTheCat
11-21-06, 08:13 AM
You definately should have much trouble finding one between haloween and christmas. Like I said, they are usually stuffed in some strange corner in walmart that none of the emplyees seem to be aware of.:roll:

AS
11-21-06, 08:42 AM
I bought a red bulb some time ago but it was disappointing because red light does not really "shine" and so it doesnīt illuminate your room. Itīs just a nice, eye-candy effect but it doesnīt make your room look red. Alternatively you will need rather strong bulbs or many of them.

Cheers, AS

NipplesTheCat
11-21-06, 08:51 AM
I had rather good luck with mine. It lit everything up nice and red. I was not at all disappointed. There are two types that I am aware of. One is made with red glass and the other is made with clear glass with a red plastic film coating. I used the ones with the coating as they seemd to produce a darker red light.

Kiwi Commandant
11-21-06, 09:35 AM
I am looking to achieve a little more immersion in my SHIII

I have often thought SH3 was more a submersive experience which comes with a suspension of disbelief...aka neutral bouyancy...

Cpt.Thorne
11-21-06, 10:50 AM
I have a red light bulb bought and attached above my "Helm" and it works wonder as the light doesnīt shine under the door to alarm HMS Wife to come and DC me out from the computer when playing at nigh.

It is one of those brighter lights that have mirrored sides so it pinpoints the light right on my keyboard...not nerd enough to get a glowing keyboard...but that would be cool too.:rock:

Prost!

Jusa_Finn
11-21-06, 11:21 AM
I used to develope b/w photos myself. I had a special red bulb which illuminated the 'lab'.

Albrecht Von Hesse
11-21-06, 11:27 AM
Make sure to get a blue one, too, for when you run silent. :p

Hybris
11-21-06, 11:32 AM
You could always put a red colored shade over a regular light bulb that should have the effect everyone is going for... I think

Albrecht Von Hesse
11-21-06, 12:12 PM
http://www.mood-lites.com/passion.html

http://www.amazinglightbulbs.com/shop.php?CategoryID=4

jumpy
11-21-06, 01:07 PM
I have a 60w red glass bulb in my 'puter room. The actual glass is transparent and red, not a normal bulb which has been painted with heat resistant paint. I believe they use them for those natty flame effects of electric fireplaces, in the background.
I find my eyes don't have to fight two different light sources - monitors / room lights, not done purely for SHIII :lol:
If I want some white light I turn on my desk lamp.

Herr Russ
11-21-06, 01:08 PM
Above my computer monitor I have a desk lamp (clamped) with a red bulb (bought in Walmart) and a fan (clamped) to add some machinery noise and feel a cooling breeze.. A mug of coffee or grog and I'm set :up:

For night play (AKA wife sleeping) I use headphones.. My JVC noise cancellation phones are great to block out normal household noises too!

AVGWarhawk
11-21-06, 02:48 PM
How about a red lava lamp? Not only have the red light but you look really cool when your friends show up!!!:up:

Hartmann
11-21-06, 08:05 PM
I maked a blue light for 0 euros using a dark blue plastic bottle. :up: , its over a 20 wats bulb.

now iīm looking for a red plastic bottle or something for make a red light :roll: :rotfl:

TarJak
11-21-06, 08:47 PM
I just went to a supermarket and bought one the the 40w "party" globes for about $0.60. Some places only sell them in packs of 6 with yellow blue and green ones as well.

THE_MASK
11-21-06, 09:16 PM
Dont forget to tip a bucket of icy water over your head occasionally .

kylania
11-21-06, 09:17 PM
Drench yourself in bilge oil, and slam your forehead into a metal pipe. The blood dripping down into your eyes should acheive the red effect you're going for. Be sure to sit on a soggy ham. ;)

TarJak
11-21-06, 09:26 PM
Store all your food in your toilet and never eat anything you don't have to scrape mould off first.

Reece
11-21-06, 09:45 PM
sit on a soggy ham
Kinky! I like it!!

WhiteW0lf
11-22-06, 01:12 AM
I too have a red bull which I like for night time play, it lights up my keyboard enough and helps my night vision for good patrol play. I also tie dirty socks around my neck to give me the full miserable feeling of patrol.

CptGrayWolf
11-22-06, 06:12 AM
Don't forget to hang some bananas and fresh hams around your red light bulb there.

AVGWarhawk
11-22-06, 08:56 AM
Also, put warm salty water on you chair like you are hot bunking. Make sure you have no deodorant and do not bath for at least a week. Two things will happen, you will really get the feel of being in a uboat and no family members will get near you for the stink you are creating!

AS
11-22-06, 09:03 AM
For real immersion you should also do this: donīt shave, don`t change your underware and donīt take showers for a month or so. Wait up to 20 minutes before using the toilet when you need it in order to simulate a line of 20 men needing it, too. Eat rotten meat only.

Oh, and stay away from your wife (for some this might be the easiest part):rotfl:

Konovalov
11-26-06, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully my computer room will be immersed in red light very soon. :up:

3Jane
12-05-06, 08:17 AM
I think they used to wash in a very cheap brand of perfume available in large bottles. A kind popular with prostitutes, to save water. Realy though, excessive eye strain is something to avoid. No more than an hour or so, then I take a break and let my eyes relax for a while then unpause the game. I just use low powered (40w) uncoloured low-energy light bulbs possitioned so as not to reflect off the screen. Must try the thing with the soggy ham :|\\

stabiz
12-05-06, 08:22 AM
You should also use some heavy hallusinogens during dc attacks. This way you will with time suffer from nerve problems, and not even shore leave will make you feel good.

You should also bomb the houses near yours, so you get pissed at Goring and his useless Luftwaffe.

TarJak
12-05-06, 09:15 PM
Must try the thing with the soggy ham :|\\
Just avoid the soggy biscuits!:D

And whatever you do don't accept and engineer's offer to see the Golden Rivet.