PDA

View Full Version : Q-Ships?

IceGrog
11-18-06, 11:23 AM
On my way back to base on more than one occasion I’ve run into a single ship just sitting in the ocean not moving at all and with no apparent damage. (GW) why are these there, just curious? Now I just had the same thing happen but this time there were two ships sitting, the smaller (medium size) one was smoking, a larger cargo it’s friend was maybe a 100 yards away also just sitting there. I was surfaced because from my past experience these sitting ducks don’t fight back, I sent two torpedoes away, one for each. Two hits, but both stayed afloat, my crew had to load from externals so I decided to man the deck gun while I waited, I got a couple of shots off, (I was slowly getting closer) when the larger ship opened fire on me. I had to dive because the shots were getting really heavy. I told my boat out beyond their range and surfaced while I finished loading. I went back and sunk them both; these two ships were in the same location?

thegroo
11-18-06, 01:55 PM
That's happening too in a vanilla installation, not specific to GW.

I have encountered a lot of them in BF13, most in a storm.

Regards
Dieter

Hartmann
11-18-06, 08:48 PM
In the vanilla game there are a small trap cargo ship.
it has a container in the deck that open the doors , but it not has any gun inside.

another unfinished feature in the game :shifty:

spork542
11-18-06, 09:40 PM
There is? :huh: Show me, please. Where? How? When?

d@rk51d3
11-18-06, 10:44 PM
I thought they were just storm damaged ships, myself. Quite often found 1 or 2 together riding out a storm.

con20or
11-19-06, 09:37 AM
They had originally planned it? Thats a shame. I would have loved to see that.

Reading this I just had an idea for a stopgap Q ship, this might not be possible but how about a merchant with the capability of shooting but delete the gun/ guns off the actual model?? Although maybe the program needs the gun there to actually fire, but I wouldnt think the two are linked.

Ugly yes, but workable. So you would approach thinking the ship wasnt armed and suddenly be fired upon from a "concealed" gun, just like a real Q-ship. Downside would be you couldnt destroy the gun if you wanted to.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/Q_Ship4.jpg

bigboywooly
11-19-06, 11:11 AM
Without a gun the ship cant fire :rotfl:

Warmonger
11-19-06, 11:14 AM
Aahhh, there's just so much one could add to make this game even better...*sigh*

*sigh*Wolfpacks*big sigh*:cry:

Respenus
11-19-06, 11:26 AM
What is a Q ship?

con20or
11-19-06, 12:06 PM
They are ships that look like unarmed merchants or yachts, but actually have high calibre guns hidden ready for a quick attack.

They were designed and used mainly in WW1 to lure U-Boats in close on the surface and to destroy them quickly.

con20or
11-19-06, 12:08 PM

Whatever code is used for firing shells is linked to the groups of triangles and polygons that make up the graphical representation of the gun?

Hartmann
11-19-06, 03:24 PM
also the q ships sometimes were filled with thousand of empty oil drums that make sink it very difficult

and some adaptations like depth charges , radio direction finders,hidrophones hedgehog, and search lights

bigboywooly
11-19-06, 03:50 PM

Whatever code is used for firing shells is linked to the groups of triangles and polygons that make up the graphical representation of the gun?

Yes true they are
If someone wants to make a new gun that looks like an ammo or freight crate it could work

Other than that a ship need an actual gun on to fire

con20or
11-19-06, 05:04 PM
Then if someone made a gun that looked like camouflage netting it would be perfect! I am going to do absolutely nothing with this idea, but if someone wants to. go right ahead!

It would be good.

Sailor Steve
11-19-06, 06:00 PM
What is a Q ship?
Early in WWI (and again in WWII) it was a fairly common practice to surface, "put a shot across the bow" and then examine a ship's papers. If it was British, the U-boat skipper would let them abandon ship and then sink it with scuttling charges. The Brits started putting disguised guns on merchants, making life difficult for the U-boat. Of course they cried foul when the subs started torpedoing them without warning, but what do you do?

AG124
11-19-06, 07:30 PM
I thought they were just storm damaged ships, myself. Quite often found 1 or 2 together riding out a storm.

I've seen those two ships in the same place on many different patrols - they were always British, but they never caused me any problems when I sank them. I guess if they actually were originally supposed to be part of a Q-Ship feature, it really was incomplete. Also, sometimes they would appear in calm weather, and I would guess they were generic campaign entries because different type 102 units (including modded freighters) would show up at different times.

stabiz
11-19-06, 07:42 PM
This video is from such a meeting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XRt7libJxv8

con20or
11-20-06, 06:11 AM
Thats more you repeatedly pounding an armed merchantman:rotfl:

not really a Q ship, the guns were in plain view.

great video btw, I love the LOTR soundtrack.

P_Funk
11-20-06, 01:15 PM
What is a Q ship? Early in WWI (and again in WWII) it was a fairly common practice to surface, "put a shot across the bow" and then examine a ship's papers. If it was British, the U-boat skipper would let them abandon ship and then sink it with scuttling charges. The Brits started putting disguised guns on merchants, making life difficult for the U-boat. Of course they cried foul when the subs started torpedoing them without warning, but what do you do?
Indeed. I remember reading many books which accuse the u-boats of being savages and of course the official history of the West has it that they began the true u-boat war unprovoked but it was really the Brits that made it impossible for the u-boats to follow the terms of the treaty which limited their behavior to being the same as surface ships.

They were all bastards in that war, allies or axis.