PDA

View Full Version : More Flexible Speed Rule.

Kiwi Commandant
11-18-06, 11:02 AM
Using the 'mark chart, wait 3 minutes and 15 seconds, re-mark chart and measure distance' rule, if you don't have the time to wait for a full "3 minutes and 15 seconds" to determine the speed of a target, you can measure the distance the target runs over any time period and then use the formula:

Distance (in meters) x 2 / Time (in seconds) = knots

This is easy to remember but has a slight error in it. It overstates the speed by 2% but will give you the speed within a quarter of a knot for speeds under 20 knots. If you want to be really accurate, the 'x 2' should be 'x 1.969'.

Obviously the longer period you time for, the more accurate the answer will be.

thegroo
11-18-06, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tip.

But you can also use the ingame watch, so you can spend the time with compression.

Regards
Dieter

Kiwi Commandant
11-18-06, 02:10 PM
[quote=thegroo]Thanks for the tip.

But you can also use the ingame watch, so you can spend the time with compression.

]

Yes, that's right - but I meant game time not real time. Like if the target is getting close and will be in your sights in less than 3m 15s.

What I tend to do if I have plenty of game time is mark the target on the chart when it's a long way off, start the watch, do other stuff in preparation for the shot, re-mark the target after, say, 9 minutes of game time, measure the distance run and use the formula to calc the speed. I know it doesn't take 9 minutes to do the prep but a good long time interval gives a more accurate speed estimate. So when I finish the prep, I may use time compression to run quickly up to 9 minutes.

The good thing is you're not bound by a fixed 3m 15s interval or multiples thereof.

panthercules
11-18-06, 03:56 PM
With the pull-down charts in GW you can pretty much use any amount of time you want, and then find the speed on the chart based on the distance and time - quite a handy way of doing it if you're pinched for time and can't keep to a strict 3'15" regimen.