PDA

View Full Version : Mines - how do you detect them?

svenks
11-08-06, 04:56 PM
...Other than the rather nasty wakeup call I just had!!!:o

Can you see them from the bridge, or do you have to peek thru the murky waters thru the observation scope?

Better yet: Has anyone got a map of the ENGLISH minefields?

BRGDS
Sven

Sailor Steve
11-08-06, 05:27 PM
Well, let's see. Real u-boats avoided enemy harbors like the plague. The best way to get around this is to cheat. Use SH3 Commander to change the water back to the stock configuration; i.e. very clear, then use the external cam to avoid the mines.

melnibonian
11-08-06, 05:47 PM
...Other than the rather nasty wakeup call I just had!!!:o

Can you see them from the bridge, or do you have to peek thru the murky waters thru the observation scope?

Better yet: Has anyone got a map of the ENGLISH minefields?

BRGDS
Sven

Hello

I think the only way to see the mines is through the scope. So you're at periscope depth and you have the scope slightly up. It's tricky to navigate like that, but nobody said passing through a minefield is easy ;)

You can use inteligence to know the positions of minefields by using the SH3Gen. Have a look at this http://www.global-explorer.de/

Also if you need to know their exact location open up the editor. (Some say it's cheating but who am I to judge :D :D :D )

Steeltrap
11-08-06, 07:03 PM
I don't go near harbours and I don't go anywhere near marked minefields.

U-boats typically didn't. Tactical situation near harbours was a disadvantage to subs. Doctrine had u-boats at sea.....main exception was where they operated close ashore during Drumbeat.

WilhelmSchulz.
11-08-06, 07:35 PM
You cant. :shifty:

P_Funk
11-08-06, 07:57 PM
Couldn't you theoretically detect them with sonar?

WilhelmSchulz.
11-08-06, 08:03 PM
Couldn't you theoretically detect them with sonar?
not in this game.

bookworm_020
11-08-06, 09:50 PM
When you hear a boom! and a report of damge flooding and/or a death screen you know that you have found that mine field

stabiz
11-08-06, 09:55 PM
:rotfl:Yes, the best way to detect them is to go flank ahead right through it.

P_Funk
11-08-06, 10:12 PM
SH3 Gen is very helpful here because it can alert you to minefields. The channel is obvuously the most dangerous minefield area simply because it is a route you are tempted to take and there isn't any clear indication of where one might be unlike with harbours where it's something that can be thought out or experimented with.

irish1958
11-08-06, 11:08 PM
I don't think very high frequency sonar was available in the 1940. This is what is needed to detect small objects such as mines.

TarJak
11-09-06, 01:21 AM
I don't go near harbours and I don't go anywhere near marked minefields.

U-boats typically didn't. Tactical situation near harbours was a disadvantage to subs. Doctrine had u-boats at sea.....main exception was where they operated close ashore during Drumbeat.

There was also a period in late '39 and early '40 where they were used as extensively as minlayers in and around British ports. I think one of the Type I boats U25 or U26 got sunk in Plymouth harbour or there abouts on a mine laying mission.

Tigrone
11-09-06, 01:22 AM
WW1 and WW2 mines were invisible to submarines. There was no technology that could detect them except lookouts on the surface. Also, you can 't see anything through a scope underwater. It's not like free diving at Molokini.

Today mines are made of materials that are not detectable by Sonar, and Sonar beeping is like screaming: here I am, here I am!

svenks
11-09-06, 02:13 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies!
To sum up then: There is no way to see the bastards, unless one of them is actually at the surface, but you can spot them thru the scope - if you're too close!

You can use sh3gen to find the mines, but other than that :o

I don't go near the harbours as well. My 'encounter' happened at AN52, around 35 nm WSW of the center of AN52. That is some distance from shore. I was submerged for the day, and had just gone to TC 512, when BAM! It must have been a mine.

Oh, and I'm running GW.

BRGDS
Sven

kiwi_2005
11-09-06, 02:19 AM
well their is one way - Put Bernard in a frogsuit, tye him to the front of the sub, and give him a spanner. everytime bernard spots a mine he'll bang on the boat and your know to change course.

This worked well until he ran out of air

:rotfl:

TarJak
11-09-06, 02:27 AM
In GW there is an option to turn the mines and nets off when you install. There are a number of minefields a little way off the coast of britain although Winnie's Welcome Mat in the Bristol Channel is not really modelled probably because that would cause CTD's with so many mines.

Other than that best thing is just keep clear of the buggers as they are not friendly to anyone!

d@rk51d3
11-09-06, 02:30 AM
This worked well until he ran out of air

:rotfl:

All in all, a successful enterprise then.

Sawdust
11-09-06, 11:52 AM
Here is what the mines look like in standard SHIII, as seen through a periscope:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sawdust5/Silent%20Hunter%20III/mine2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Sawdust5/Silent%20Hunter%20III/mine1.jpg
I found these while trying to enter Liverpool harbor. After seeing them, I changed my mind and backed out to sea. :smug:

Hybris
11-09-06, 06:05 PM
Well one way is to "Use the force reach out with your feelings" or edit your sub's files so you have a massive number of hit points (Armor, Hull Integerity, what ever you want to call it.) Otherwise go find a slow merchant heading toward the port of choice match speeds and get under him if need be slow down a bit carefuly raise the snorkel (perferably at night) recharge and then get back into position. Mine you its unproven. (Bad joke intended)

supposedtobeworking
11-09-06, 08:13 PM
what about taking precautions to avoid mines? Can't you dive beneath them--at what depth can you avoid a mine (mininum since harbors will be shallow.)? Also I've heard that in GW 1.1a you can run on the surface in good weather and have no fear of striking a mine.