PDA

View Full Version : the gato class

(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE
11-06-06, 11:50 AM
the gato class is my fav bc i have the model to lion fish witch had 4 guns on it. is this in the game

WilhelmSchulz.
11-06-06, 03:06 PM
FYI: 3 of them where flack guns. Only one as a 5in deck gun.:roll:

AG124
11-06-06, 06:57 PM
Yes, the Gato class is one of the four classes of US submarines which has been confirmed to be included in SHIV.:yep:

Ducimus
11-06-06, 08:13 PM
Yes, the Gato class is one of the four classes of US submarines which has been confirmed to be included in SHIV.:yep:
Making SH4 without a Gato, would be like making SH3 without a type 7, simply inconcievable.

AG124
11-06-06, 09:33 PM
Making SH4 without a Gato, would be like making SH3 without a type 7, simply inconcievable.

I don't think that anyone would disagree with that.:up: And I would imagine that you would also agree that making SHIV without the S class would be like making SHIII without the Type II.:nope: Maybe a hint for the SHIV Dev team...?:hmm:

WilhelmSchulz.
11-06-06, 11:05 PM

I don't think that anyone would disagree with that.:up: And I would imagine that you would also agree that making SHIV without the S class would be like making SHIII without the Type II.:nope: Maybe a hint for the SHIV Dev team...?:hmm:
Who uses the Typ.II anyway? :-?

Kapitan
11-07-06, 05:50 AM
Hey i liked my type IIA U-6 dont take the mik it was a good submarine small and easy to handle and i also sank the HMS Renown with it.

AG124
11-07-06, 06:37 AM
Who uses the Typ.II anyway?

Not me, actually, but it would feel wrong if it were missing from the campaign. Just as something will feel missing from SHIV without the S class.:cool: And of course, there probably are quite a few users (like Kapitan) who like to try the Type II sometimes.

Kapitan
11-07-06, 06:56 AM
I kept U-6 for only 3 patrols i have now done nearly 25 patrols 2 of which have been done in my type IXC which i dont like much i want my U-55 Back :(

HunterICX
11-07-06, 07:23 AM
I kept U-6 for only 3 patrols i have now done nearly 25 patrols 2 of which have been done in my type IXC which i dont like much i want my U-55 Back :(

hehe, well kapitan I should suggest you wait for the VIIC/41 to come out.
costs 3000 Renown and its deffinlty worth it:up:

Sailor Steve
11-07-06, 11:13 AM
Love the type II. It's just...cute.:p

(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE
11-07-06, 12:58 PM
is like the lionfish in so i can have four guns in sh4

WilhelmSchulz.
11-07-06, 02:35 PM
Its a friking Gato Class! And Like I said 3 of thoes are Flack guns! :damn:

John Channing
11-07-06, 05:39 PM

We don't know yet if particular boats will be featured (like the Lionfish) but similar boats to the model you have will almost certainly be in the sim.

JCC

JSF
11-07-06, 06:40 PM
Its a friking Gato Class! And Like I said 3 of thoes are Flack guns! :damn:

Actually.....She was a Balao thick skin boat

CaptainNemo
11-08-06, 03:25 AM
Balao for the win! :D YEAH!:arrgh!:

Threadfin
11-08-06, 12:00 PM
Yep, a Balao. Is that his favorite class now? :)

My guess is every boat of the same class will be identical, and there will be a name randomizer that assigns the name of the boat you get. I imagine that will be easily editable as well.

Respenus
11-08-06, 12:44 PM
I checked how all the different US boats looked like and I must say, there is only a small difference in how they looked. Perfomance is one thing, but they look all the same for me :cry:

To bad the US didn't make a REAL submarine, like the XXI boat. I'd like to sink some Jap ships with that beauty.

Steeltrap
11-08-06, 06:44 PM
It's interesting that a lot of the US boats had minor variations based on their point of construction, even within the same class. 'Standard' fitting changed throughout the war as things were found to work/not work. Wahoo, for example, had her entire bridge/tower reconfigured, yet she was launched only in 1942! There was also a fair amount of 'jury rigging'....again, Wahoo used an electric motor from a Westinghouse washing machine to drive her radar antenna...funny stuff!

JSF
11-09-06, 09:52 PM
Wahoo[/I] used an electric motor from a Westinghouse washing machine to drive her radar antenna...funny stuff!

That wasn't installed till after her first war patrol. It was man powered prior to that.

MarshalLaw
11-10-06, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know if US boats painted emblems on their conning towers like the Uboats? Or was it against navy regulations to do so. I know US bomber and Fighter crews had nose art for their planes, any ideas?

Capt. D
11-10-06, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know if US boats painted emblems on their conning towers like the Uboats? Or was it against navy regulations to do so. I know US bomber and Fighter crews had nose art for their planes, any ideas?

I believe most boats - if not all - did not paint emblems on their towers. Though many may have painted the little flags for ships sunk on their towers - much like the fighter and bomber crews did for planes shot down. As far as I know most boats had pennents or flags made up of their emblem or graphic along with notations - little flags - place on them to represent ships sunk etc.

Happy Hunting :ping:

Hackett
11-12-06, 11:48 PM
A lot of boats had "Emblems", but the more elaborate ones noted, seem to have been painted on postwar at the end of hostilities, or boat decommissioning.

The more common plaques as from USS Flasher (see link) were more the norm' afaik.

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0824912hr8.jpg

The other boat in background is probadly USS Finback. April 1945.

JSF
11-14-06, 05:01 PM
A lot of boats had "Emblems", but the more elaborate ones noted, seem to have been painted on postwar at the end of hostilities, or boat decommissioning.

The more common plaques as from USS Flasher (see link) were more the norm' afaik.

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0824912hr8.jpg

The other boat in background is probadly USS Finback. April 1945.

For recognition and security purposes alone they were not permitted to have any distinguising makings till after the war.

Subnuts
11-14-06, 05:26 PM
To bad the US didn't make a REAL submarine, like the XXI boat. I'd like to sink some Jap ships with that beauty.

We did a perfectly fine job imposing a blockade on the Japanese empire with our FAKE, unimaginative-looking submarines, if you ask me. :roll:

SmithN23
11-14-06, 06:46 PM
You can go here to read the patrol logs of the lionfish, http://www.battleshipcove.com/ss298-patrols.htm. The Lionfish was armed with:

One 5-inch deck gun
Ten 21” torpedo tubes
20MM and 40MM guns
four .50 caliber machine guns(from http://www.battleshipcove.com/ss298-armament.htm)

This is the main page, http://www.battleshipcove.com/ss298-history.htm

Sailor Steve
11-15-06, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the links. I love reading patrol reports. Diving to avoid planes. Spotting torpedo tracks from Japanese sub. Complaining about radar not picking up surfaced sub at 1500 yards. Letting a sampan go because they weren't sure if the characters were Japanese or Chinese.

Great stuff.

AVGWarhawk
11-15-06, 03:58 PM

The planes could not have nose art while they were in the states. Once in the theator of operations then and only then could art be put on the planes. I do not believe the subs had emblems in wartime .

bookworm_020
11-15-06, 05:11 PM
When the first planes from Europe returned home the public got to see the nose art for the first time. The was an outcry at some of the art used, as having naked women pictured draped over bombs wasn't considered decent.

It caused the Amary to tighet up on what could be depicted on nose art. This ment many in the Pacific had to chage there nose art, as they were more graphic than the European crews.

Subs in the Pacific couldn't have anything to show there identify themselves while on patrol, so they used battle flags to boast about there sinkings and other successes.

The flags showed the fish the sub was named after. the fish were possed in an aggressive manner. Most were made by the crews relatives, but some were designed by professional artists for free. A Disney artist did half a dozen, and said the more aggressive he made the fish look, the more the crew loved it.

U.S.S. Barb's battle flag was particularly colourful, with ship sinkings, ships damaged, patrols undertaken, shore bombardments, rocket attacks and even the distruction of a train by a shore party!! The flag was running out of space!!

Sailor Steve
11-15-06, 05:11 PM
I've never seen a photo of a sub with an actual painted-on emblem either.

JSF
11-26-06, 04:39 AM
For your late night viewing enjoyment.

http://www.fineartmodels.com/pages/product.asp?content_area=3&sub_area=11&product_area=68

SmithN23
11-26-06, 10:11 AM
for those of you that want to see some pictures, timmyg00 posted some pictures of the Lionfish at Battleship Cove here: http://www.pbase.com/timmyg_00.
The original post is here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=90287&highlight=Battleship

Torplexed
11-26-06, 10:32 AM
I checked how all the different US boats looked like and I must say, there is only a small difference in how they looked. Perfomance is one thing, but they look all the same for me :cry:

With the Type XXI's top surface speed of 15 knots and cruising speed of about 10...that's easily a month long trip from Pearl Harbour to Empire Waters. ;) Not the ideal sub for the conditions.

Capt. D
11-26-06, 10:37 AM
I've never seen a photo of a sub with an actual painted-on emblem either.

The USS Tench did have her insignia painted on her tower side in 1945. A picture of this is shown in U.S. SUBS in action - a squadron/signal publications Warships No. 2.

It states next to the picture that she was one of the rare boats to have had her isignia painted on her tower side. It does not give the month just 1945.

As mentioned prior - almost all, if not all, subs had a battle flag or war flag made up which had a picture of the fish the boat was named after in some aggressive pose along with small flags denoting the ships the boat sunk.

Happy Hunting :ping:

Payoff
11-27-06, 07:00 AM
I'm gonna miss my conning tower emblem. Maybe the devs will allow us to hoist our war flag.