View Full Version : U-106 patrol to Freetown

Deep-Six
11-05-06, 06:30 PM
U-106 on the way has found a liner parked in Freetown.:o

If I can get my uboat into position, I will try to sink her.:D

I only have 4 torps left in the rear tubes.:o

melnibonian
11-05-06, 06:49 PM
Hello . The way I sunk the liner was to enter the harbour from the back entrance and then fire from there to the liner. Due to the small AOB it took me 4 or 5 torpedos to sink her. It will be tough but it can be done. So best of luck and I hope you collect a few medals for this:D :D :D

thegroo
11-05-06, 07:19 PM
Freetown is worth a visit.

Got myself just now a Liner, 1x T2, 2x C2, 1x small tanker and one tramp.:D

But the harbour is a bit easy to penetrate.

Regards
Dieter

NipplesTheCat
11-05-06, 11:52 PM
What type of boats do you all have? Is Freetown too far for a VIIb?

Deep-Six
11-06-06, 01:02 AM
I am in a IXB, your VIIB would not make the trip to Freetown which is on the African coast.

NipplesTheCat
11-06-06, 01:22 AM
Not even on ahead slow? Damn I wanted to go take a look next patrol.

Deep-Six
11-06-06, 01:35 AM
I you can try it, but I do think that your boat will run out of fuel. Unless of course you submerge for awhile to run on batteries. The IX was made for those long patrols the VIIBs were not.

NipplesTheCat
11-06-06, 01:54 AM
Maybe ill give it a try next time im down by gibralter. Besides, E still means theres a quarter tank,...right? ;)

melnibonian
11-06-06, 06:34 AM
Hello. I went to Freetown on a VIIB but I did a quick pit stop at Vigo first. After that it isn't that far away on ahead slow obviously.

Tijn
11-06-06, 06:47 AM
There's no need to refuel with VIIC if you're going to patrol near Freetown. I could make it back easily. Just run @ 9 knts and you will be able to reach a nice +/- 17000 KM.

Platapus
11-06-06, 04:34 PM
I like to play on the moderate realism levels >50% but one thing I always turn on is the "unlimited fuel" option. Sure it is not realistic but with the insane patrol areas I am assigned it is the only way I can accomplish my mission.

I am in a Type VIIC and I consistantly get orders near the West coast of Africa.

Are the patrol areas assigned randomly or is there a method to BDU's madness?

Deep-Six
11-06-06, 06:32 PM
I have been thinking about the fuel option. NYAHHHH!

I would prefer to run out of fuel.:D

I also started over and doing it properly.

I now took out an armed trawler w/ an eel up the a$$. (It was moving away from me).:o

Will be looking for the other Trawler and take it out. Then I can have some REAL fun.:yep:

NightCrawler
11-06-06, 10:42 PM
What type of boats do you all have? Is Freetown too far for a VIIb?

Nah, as long you dive all day and surface at night to charge batteries, you can make it to Freetown.

I had a mission in Grid EK78 or 87... thats close to Freetown, used 1/3 of fuel from Lorient with MAN-Engine(i know i spend 1500 renown), but a huge gas-saver.. all the way from Lorient slow ahead to Freetown.

Still have fuel left from Grid 78 or 87 to went to BF13, from there i used another 1/3 total of half gastank. and went patroling sunk some ships, had 25%(red line) of the fuel indicator, went home, made it...

It's a long haul, but it's worth....

Btw, i didn't use milkcows to refuel or rearm torps....

try it...

NipplesTheCat
11-07-06, 12:20 AM
Hrrm I wonder if I can take my type VII to the NE coast of America if I set the cruise control and dont run the air conditioner.:hmm:

Tijn
11-07-06, 04:31 AM
Most of the time it's not really the problem of getting there, but you also want to have some fuel to catch up with a convoy @ 20 knts and some extra fuel for the time to actually patrol the assigned grid. I say that you need about 75/70 % of your fuel to get to the grid and back and 25/30% just for fooling around and chasing ships/convoys.

Grtz Tijn

Kapitan
11-07-06, 05:33 AM
50 miles from free town and bang less than half a tank so im heading home going via gibralter first though.

Warmonger
11-07-06, 08:29 AM
Hrrm I wonder if I can take my type VII to the NE coast of America if I set the cruise control and dont run the air conditioner.:hmm:

At ahead slow it is possible but take a few oars with you just in case... ;)