PDA

View Full Version : Hammering away at Merchants

sonicninja
11-03-06, 08:17 PM
Im in the middle of a great patrol in the Irish Channel in 1940. So far I have sunk about 6 large merchants, a small cargo vessel and a medium sized tanker.
Im am now out of torpedo's and hammering away at 2 remaining merchants with the flak gun, so far ive put in about 20 rounds into the large C2 and yet its still going with not a flame in sight. Are there any tactical solutions to put this hunk of metal metal onto the seabed using my flak gun or should i pass alongside the ship, order my gun crew to "pull moonies" and then head off for home?

PS. Whats the best tactic to kill a torpedo boat, or is it best just to hide from them which is what i have been doing?

many thanks shipmates:D

bill clarke
11-03-06, 09:12 PM
Well you may as well throw rocks at that C2 the flak gun will do no good, and remember he is now transmitting a distress call, very soon you will have company, get the hell out of there matey :arrgh!:

So far as TB's go, well you're flak gun will chew em good, but you may take casualties top side from their guns, one hit from the deck gun will finish him though I reckon.

sonicninja
11-03-06, 09:33 PM
Affirmative Company!!! I now have a destroyer dropping fireworks all over the place:x , however i have found safe haven hiding under the C2 matching speed and course, my only hope now is some "dozy British sailor" on the destroyer will launch a depth charge so close it will land on the deck of the C2, that would make my day and have the crew laughing all the way back to the "whore houses in Brest":up:

Jimbuna
11-04-06, 05:41 AM
Affirmative Company!!! I now have a destroyer dropping fireworks all over the place:x , however i have found safe haven hiding under the C2 matching speed and course, my only hope now is some "dozy British sailor" on the destroyer will launch a depth charge so close it will land on the deck of the C2, that would make my day and have the crew laughing all the way back to the "whore houses in Brest":up:

Yep....bill clarke did warn you :yep:

Later on in your career (if you survive that long) :D The only really effective piece of AA is the twin 37mm :up:

P_Funk
11-04-06, 05:54 AM
Actually the only really effective piece of AA later in the war are your dive planes.
:rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
11-04-06, 10:06 AM
AA has no effect on the large ships. I understand that you could sink a coastal vessel with it. As long as you are close enough to spot coast vessels, the seagulls are fun to shoot at as well....ask Bernard.
:lurk:

Rose
11-04-06, 11:07 AM
A patrol in the Irish Channel? Damn, I'd be careful if I were you... I never venture into that hell-hole voluntarily. The closest I'll ever get to the Irish Channel are the Western Approaches/Loche Ewe.

sonicninja
11-04-06, 12:47 PM
A patrol in the Irish Channel? Damn, I'd be careful if I were you... I never venture into that hell-hole voluntarily. The closest I'll ever get to the Irish Channel are the Western Approaches/Loche Ewe.

I think its one of the best hunting grounds there is, i even witnessed the Luftwaffe attacking a destroyer that was pinging me, which gave me the opportunity to get a good solution on the Skimmer and send him to the bottom of the Irish sea.

Good Stuff:yep:

bookworm_020
11-05-06, 05:31 PM
I used a duel 37mm to sink coastal and small merchants. You have to take out all the deck cargo, vent's, life boats, etc and they go boom!

fredbass
11-05-06, 05:37 PM
On my previous patrol, I had ran out of torps and deck gun shells. I had this damn Large Tanker wounded and followed for a few days. I eventually gave up, but not b4 I gave it a good try with my AA. I was hoping I could get the barrels on deck to explode, but never could. :damn:

Sailor Steve
11-05-06, 06:21 PM
...however i have found safe haven hiding under the C2 matching speed and course...
How do you do that?

Rose
11-05-06, 08:02 PM

I think its one of the best hunting grounds there is, i even witnessed the Luftwaffe attacking a destroyer that was pinging me, which gave me the opportunity to get a good solution on the Skimmer and send him to the bottom of the Irish sea.

Good Stuff:yep:

You witnessed the Luftwaffe's raid while you were being pinged? Uh oh, someone's using the external cam!

(It's ok... I do it too..... just don't tell anyone.)

GT182
11-05-06, 08:49 PM
by Rose
Uh oh, someone's using the external cam!

Why yes, how do you think some of those great screenshots are taken. ;)

Inajira
11-06-06, 03:07 AM
Methinks he's using the external cam to stay beneath the C2 as well :)

sonicninja
11-06-06, 08:29 AM

:oops: maybe I am, or maybe i use one of my able seaman with an airhose to sit in the conning tower guiding me underneath the C2

okay okay im using the external cam....but just a little bit:lol:

P_Funk
11-06-06, 09:02 AM
:oops: maybe I am, or maybe i use one of my able seaman with an airhose to sit in the conning tower guiding me underneath the C2

okay okay im using the external cam....but just a little bit:lol:
That's cool. I used to use the External Cam like a trainer, giving me an advantage so I could learn and practice more effectively. Now I only use the external cam where it gives me little to no tactical advantage (like after a merchant is sunk and exploding beautifully or while the sun sets on patrol.

Power to ya mate.:up:

Captain_AJ
11-06-06, 09:13 AM
IS using the periscope to keep yourself under a C2 a cheat ? looking foward to hunting in the irish channel !

Rose
11-06-06, 04:27 PM
IS using the periscope to keep yourself under a C2 a cheat ? looking foward to hunting in the irish channel !

The water in RL is much murkier than the stock water, so yes, it is probably somewhat of a cheat. But GW and NYGM fix that.

kiwi_2005
11-06-06, 05:10 PM
I always use the external camera :smug:

I just can't help myself, must play the game so i can see my sub submerged. But yes i played it a few times with no external and the atmosphere is far more real, expecially when being depth charged. I just wish it was like SH2 you could see your uboat submerged but the player could not see above the waterline so external camera was only underwater. Then not long after someone brought out a mod so you can see above the water line :rotfl: Thats exactly what would of happened with SH3 if the same view was like SH2, sooner or later ppl would complain "Wish we could see above the water line - then a mod would come out. :lol: