PDA

View Full Version : A few observations of late.....

Steeltrap
11-02-06, 10:00 PM
Having read a number of threads lately, I've come to the conclusion that:

1. it's very easy to write something others find offensive.
2. some people are very sensitive on some matters, to the point where expressing any view contrary to theirs is likely to result in all sorts of carrying on.
3. a fair amount of the 'grief' in some posts re GWX has been caused by it being announced and talked about when there is no detail to be given. It's fine not to give detail, but that just leaves the posts open to speculation, which means the original posters end up 'having' to 'defend' a topic about which there are few facts....something of a pointless exercise for all involved.
4. some people appear to be allowed to express their views in highly intemperate terms without sanction, while some others get villified for expressing theirs (even if they expressed theirs somewhat clumsily - see point 3 below).
5. some people interpret any comments about GWX which MIGHT be viewed as critical (especially if the reader is predisposed to be sensitive) as being motivated by being devoted to other mods (the "you must be a fan-boy of NYGM" being one of my favourites - says plenty about the person saying this but not much else).

Seems we might have an easier time if:
1. there were fewer posts inviting comment inevitably based on ignorance because no facts are available
2. some people stopped responding so vitriolically to anything they see as critical of their own view
3. we all read our posts before posting and consider how they might read to others and amend them to the best of our abilities so as to prevent offense
4. modders and users of mods are treated with equal respect (just because I don't mod doesn't make my posting invalid, nor should the fact that someone does mod give them the right to dump on me because I don't....having said that, I always try to make it clear I respect and value the fantastic work modders do)

I am not aiming these observations at anyone in particular, or any mod (I've mentioned GWX simply because some threads have been about it - I'm not at all making any comment about the mod itself). I would respectfully suggest that anyone who feels otherwise might want to ask 'what might I have done that makes me feel any of this applies to me?' before choosing to bark at me for saying any of it.

I invite anyone to comment as they wish (although people would do that without any invitation anyway, I just wanted to make it clear I'm not 'lecturing' and am trying to invite some reflection by all of us....if I'm appearing otherwise that's no doubt due to poor choice of words, not intent).

Cheers

Ducimus
11-02-06, 10:54 PM
1. True. Some peoples sensiblities are very.... sensitive.

2. True, see point 1. Example.. "realism" Some people are overreactive to said subject. Ive been in spats myself, and quicly found this forum has an ignore function. Tired of someone sniping at you? You can simply turn off what they say like a light switch.

3. Result of the NYGM vs GW strife. Rarely do spokesman for either mod directly give out specific details. They'll tell you the what in general terms, but very seldomly the how. The object being to jazz up users, but at the same time, project themselves from the other mod group or, aguably independant modders as well.

4. Without naming names, if your thinking of the person that i think you are, you just really have to talk with him on teamspeak once or twice to understand his disposition. He's really a nice guy, but what he writes tends to come out as being rather blunt. You also have alot of users who've been here awhile so they kind of know what to expect from one another. IE, "oh thats just soinso being his normal self, dont mind him!" type of a thing. Newer users tend to be an unknown factor.

5. Another result of the NYGM vs GW strife. Both sides sniping at each other was very common in the past. I admit i still do it occasionally myself, and ive seen both NYGM and GW posters do it occasionaly as well, but its usualy very subtle and well veiled.

donut
11-03-06, 01:58 AM
TRUE: Till SHIV comes out,nothings hapening.An idle mind,is the devil's playground.:yep:

Warmonger
11-03-06, 02:47 AM
I think here's one of the more civilized gamers forum to be honest. I've seen worse, I've been mod on worse for some time. What I mostly do is to stay away from the non-game general subfora because they are a constant source of provocant political and ethical dicussions leading into endless ramblings and insults and flamings.
I only watch the SH3 and the mod forum and I only post in them. So far everyone has been nice to me and so am I. ;)

Edit: FINALLY a decent avatar after medic, navy dude and this crazy bankgog hell pic.

mountainmanUK
11-03-06, 05:29 AM
One particular button is always extremely under-used.......

It's the button that reads........

PREVIEW POST

If it was used more, I'm sure there would be much less "inflammatory" stuff floating around!

JMHO

SteamWake
11-03-06, 11:27 AM
I think the OP has pretty much outlined behaviour for EVERY forum Ive ever participated in.

Hell this one is quite mild compared to some others.

Its simple the "anonimity" of the internet and the fact that your not going to get knocked up the side of your head for saying something leads to contemptious behaviour.

Moderators here do a pretty good job of keeping things in check without being too heavy handed.

AVGWarhawk
11-03-06, 12:48 PM
For the most part, people like to start flaming and rant/rave. If they took a minute or two, cooled off, they would be more sensible in their writtings. Also, I find some folks look for issues or insults no matter how small and make a moutain out of it. These days no one demonstrates tolerance. It is always go for the throat if I feel you offended me in any way, shape or form. :nope: Political correctness as it were. Sometimes it is just best to pass on any comment at all because sometimes that is the loudest voice of all!!!!

IceGrog
11-03-06, 03:20 PM
I’ve been here for a short time now; I’m involved in several other forums, some very good forums and some that are just ok. I’ve been watching the posts and such and I still rate this forum very high. A lot of helpful people are here and some of them with an off the wall humor. I’ve seen some posts that went off in kind of strange directions. As for me I’m just here for the fun of it. And Ducimus I will not talk about all the crazy people in California.

robbo180265
11-03-06, 03:21 PM
I agree with everything that's been said so far. I've been a member of a few forums in my time and it's happened to all of them at one time or another. I saw the thread that may have caused this one, and to be honest I just moved on and found another. Otherwise you get sucked into a silly "My Dad is bigger than your Dad" argument that no-one can win.

That said this has so far proved to be one of the friendliest and helpful forums around - keep it up guys:up:

Ducimus
11-03-06, 03:36 PM
And Ducimus I will not talk about all the crazy people in California.

LOL. I blame all the influx from back east we get every year, and it continually gets worse. I've head people say, "californian's cant drive". My thought is.. well, where do you think all these people come from? Back east! Native californians im under the impression are of an increasingly smaller minority with each passing year. That said, i know for a fact, haveing spent a few years being stationed back east, that Calfornian's cant drive in the rain. I particuarlly love the news when so much as a drop of mist falls from the sky.. "STORMWATCH 2006! NEXT ON EYEWITNESS NEWS!". But to sum all the crazy people, i think if there was one universal slogan that were to define california, it would probably be, "whatever your issue's are, i dont care!". Which i beleive is true, most people here could give less then a schitt about anyone but themselves. When i get behind the wheel, i do not claim to be any exception either. Viva la rat race.

SteamWake
11-03-06, 03:39 PM
And Ducimus I will not talk about all the crazy people in California.

LOL. I blame all the influx from back east we get every year, and it continually gets worse. I've head people say, "californian's cant drive". My thought is.. well, where do you think all these people come from? Back east! Native californians im under the impression are of an increasingly smaller minority with each passing year. That said, i know for a fact, haveing spent a few years being stationed back east, that Calfornian's cant drive in the rain. I particuarlly love the news when so much as a drop of mist falls from the sky.. "STORMWATCH 2006! NEXT ON EYEWITNESS NEWS!". But to sum all the crazy people, i think if there was one universal slogan that were to define california, it would probably be, "whatever your issue's are, i dont care!". Which i beleive is true, most people here could give less then a schitt about anyone but themselves. When i get behind the wheel, i do not claim to be any exception either. Viva la rat race.

Wow... uhhh what does all that have to do with this thread and what happend to the formatting ?

P_Funk
11-03-06, 03:57 PM
Well whatever Ducimus said must make sense. I dunno cause I'm from the Canadian West Coast. That means we're like Califiornia but with rain. This part of the country is like a little baby going wha wha about being treated badly by the bastards back East. Long story short we act like a bunch of babies and want stuff from the government while being a bunch of regional twats and not really like a part of our country...

Though Alberta is much worse. They just hate Canada and are just complete jag offs. Strange how when people discover they're living on top of oil that they act like a$$holes.

What are we talking about? Oh yeah, as for this forum I think this is the nicest and least offensive group of people I've ever met on the internet. Simple as that. And when we fight somehow we don't get banned. That's pretty special for a message board you know.

Ducimus
11-03-06, 04:59 PM
Wow... uhhh what does all that have to do with this thread and what happend to the formatting ?

I decided to bite on some bait. The formatting went bye bye cause i was in a hurry.

Albrecht Von Hesse
11-03-06, 10:47 PM
What are we talking about? Oh yeah, as for this forum I think this is the nicest and least offensive group of people I've ever met on the internet. Simple as that. And when we fight somehow we don't get banned. That's pretty special for a message board you know.

Yes, it is. Very special, in fact. I totally agree with your statement, and would only add two more things to it:

This forum has the friendliest and most helpful members than any forum I've belonged to. Good natured teasing along with frank admiration and praise for others work and efforts. Quick replies to questions, even if nothing more than 'wish I could help, but don't give up hope, you'll get an answer from someone soon'.

And it has the nicest moderators that I've seen too (and no, I'm not brownnosing :p ). Even when a member gets torqued, and rants and sounds off, they get a cool, composed reply back. I find that to be something quite rare, and extremely valued and appreciated.

Gizzmoe
11-03-06, 11:20 PM
And when we fight somehow we don't get banned. That's pretty special for a message board you know.

Itīs ok to fight or have a very heated discussion as long as people donīt resort to personal attacks. Weīd banned or suspended a few members already because they repeatedly attacked or insulted other members.

P_Funk
11-03-06, 11:42 PM
And when we fight somehow we don't get banned. That's pretty special for a message board you know.
Itīs ok to fight or have a very heated discussion as long as people donīt resort to personal attacks. Weīd banned or suspended a few members already because they repeatedly attacked or insulted other members.

Okay maybe I was exaggerating a bit. But certainly the jackass quotient on this forums is lower than anywhere else I've been despite obivous exceptions from time to time. And best of all the moderators aren't a bunch of overbearing Nazis seeking to add a Fascist layer of realism to this message board.

Steeltrap
11-05-06, 11:07 PM
Everyone has pretty much responded as I had hoped. This site IS the best I've ever seen re any gaming community.

I should say that I intended to post this in the mods forum, as most of that to which I referred occurred there.

Anyway, great site and very helpful people - especially those with really detailed understanding of how things work in the sim.

Cheers all!

:rock:

TarJak
11-07-06, 09:02 PM
I've got to say my experience here has been quite good. I usually check out a forum for a while without posting and one of the main reasons I decided to dive in here was the generally mature and responsible attitude to helping newbies out and responding to criticisms.

Like any forum there are flamers but from what I've seen most of the activity here is stil aimed at people having fun and sharing experiences with their sims.

I for one don't have a problem with people being passionate or sensitive about what is posted as it is all part of the rich tapestry. As long as there is a perception that the moderators are being even handed (note: I'm not suggesting that they are not), I think that some debate about what works and what doesn't is healthy.

ASWnut101
11-07-06, 09:29 PM
+1:yep:

Onkel Neal
11-07-06, 09:52 PM

Well said :up:

d@rk51d3
11-07-06, 10:15 PM
One particular button is always extremely under-used.......

It's the button that reads........

PREVIEW POST

If it was used more, I'm sure there would be much less "inflammatory" stuff floating around!

JMHO

That, and the "SEARCH" button.:roll:

Steeltrap
11-08-06, 07:49 PM

Well said :up:

Thanks Neal. I hope you meant the whole post, though, and not just the intro....

:rotfl: :rotfl: