PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 2 & Gothic 3

kiwi_2005
11-02-06, 04:02 PM
Are my next rpg games to get, nwn2 has just hit our shores yet Gothic 3 wont be till 23rd of Nov. Anyone played NWN's here, great game and the toolset was the easiest to use, i made alot of personal mods with my own scripts/conversations in fact i use to get carried away with the conversation part of it. Once you worked out how easy it was there was no stopping you. The toolset comes with NWN 2 as well, i know of ppl (including myself although i will play the SP) that are buying this game only for that reason they will probably never touch the single player part of it. If only all editors were this easy.

Never played the Gothic series but heard alot of this german made masterpiece that im going to try it out when it gets here.

SUBMAN1
11-02-06, 04:03 PM
Are my next rpg games to get, nwn2 has just hit our shores yet Gothic 3 wont be till 23rd of Nov. Anyone played NWN's here, great game and the toolset was the easiest to use, i made alot of personal mods with my own scripts/conversations in fact i use to get carried away with the conversation part of it. Once you worked out how easy it was there was no stopping you. The toolset comes with NWN 2 as well, i know of ppl (including myself although i will play the SP) that are buying this game only for that reason they will probably never touch the single player part of it. If only all editors were this easy.

Never played the Gothic series but heard alot of this german made masterpiece that im going to try it out when it gets here.

I was going to buy NWN simply because it has a native Linux port of it. Is it worth purchasing?

-S

kiwi_2005
11-02-06, 04:11 PM
I was going to buy NWN simply because it has a native Linux port of it. Is it worth purchasing?

-S

If you like RPG's yes its worth it. I would get NWN 2. NWN 1 single player campaign became abit boring about half way - but there is the toolset to play around with, and multiplayer gives the option to be dungeon master where you control the game - ppl join up & you add the quests, they go ahead and play, you being DM you have total control eg spawn a group of orcs, lay traps etc while they're playing, sort of like been god and watching from above lol. Good for introducing your own mod - plus you can join in anytime.

If NWN 2 has linux support get that instead.

snowsub
11-02-06, 04:56 PM
I'll be buying NWN2 when it comes out here. It's on the 16th and the next day (friday) is my RDO :rock: :rock: so I can have a long weekend playing it. :up:

As for Gothic 3 I am interested but I'll check the patch situation when it comes out cause I've heard it's got some bad bugs at the moment.

kiwi_2005
11-02-06, 05:17 PM
I just rang up my online store where i buy my games about NWN2 they told me i have to wait for the next shipment as they have all sold out:damn: The next shipment will arrive in 10days from now :damn: :damn:

I knew i should of preordered it!:roll:

tycho102
11-06-06, 01:33 PM
I've been playing NWN2.

The interface is kind of clunky in some ways, and superior in other ways.

Disabling and unlocking are default actions. All you have to do is click on the object. It will disable traps, first, if they are detected. Then you click again to unlock. Finally, open. There is a context menu that you can use to recover the trap, but there's no way to assign that action to the "quick slots".

Hence, the quick slots go damn near unused. You can load them up with spells, but it's easier to just use the "quick spell" menu. The quick slots have been streamlined, but made completely ineffectual for the interface. It was an outstanding idea, but you just won't have much use unless you assign inventory items (I've got a *bunch* of wands made).

The levels are poorly laid out. The camera ends up obscuring the view because the levels are so compact. The levels need to be physically stretched out a lot more to prevent camera problems, or the camera needs to be able to zoom out further.

The voice acting is pretty bad. It's not the absolute worst, but it's down there.

It's got some good moments in the dialogue and "party banter".

I like the rule set. Temple of Elemental Evil's set was a "hack", and this one (a 3.5e adaptation) is much smoother.

Atari. In the land of Atari, you cannot have hookers or courtesans. It's verboten. I don't know if Atari is suddenly run out of Utah, or what, but it's really stupid. You can hack people to death, and have durgar talking about listening to people beg for their lives as he murdered them, but at the first sign of sexuality, bail out.

There's some bugs, especially with party AI, that seriously undermine the game. The game is going to require a string of bug patches.

Overall, the game is worth playing. And it's "complete" in the Knights of the Old Republic 2 sense -- there's not dead ends that I have come across at this point.

kiwi_2005
11-07-06, 06:44 PM
I've been playing NWN2.

The interface is kind of clunky in some ways, and superior in other ways.

Disabling and unlocking are default actions. All you have to do is click on the object. It will disable traps, first, if they are detected. Then you click again to unlock. Finally, open. There is a context menu that you can use to recover the trap, but there's no way to assign that action to the "quick slots".

Hence, the quick slots go damn near unused. You can load them up with spells, but it's easier to just use the "quick spell" menu. The quick slots have been streamlined, but made completely ineffectual for the interface. It was an outstanding idea, but you just won't have much use unless you assign inventory items (I've got a *bunch* of wands made).

The levels are poorly laid out. The camera ends up obscuring the view because the levels are so compact. The levels need to be physically stretched out a lot more to prevent camera problems, or the camera needs to be able to zoom out further.

The voice acting is pretty bad. It's not the absolute worst, but it's down there.

It's got some good moments in the dialogue and "party banter".

I like the rule set. Temple of Elemental Evil's set was a "hack", and this one (a 3.5e adaptation) is much smoother.

Atari. In the land of Atari, you cannot have hookers or courtesans. It's verboten. I don't know if Atari is suddenly run out of Utah, or what, but it's really stupid. You can hack people to death, and have durgar talking about listening to people beg for their lives as he murdered them, but at the first sign of sexuality, bail out.

There's some bugs, especially with party AI, that seriously undermine the game. The game is going to require a string of bug patches.

Overall, the game is worth playing. And it's "complete" in the Knights of the Old Republic 2 sense -- there's not dead ends that I have come across at this point.

Thanks for that update. Yeah i expected bugs i hope they bring a patch out soon to fix. Still haven't got mine yet now its due on the 16th! lol. oh man i hate waiting for a game. I read on a site the game recommended specs from players not the developers is a 3400ghz, 2 gig ram and 6800 or higher card :dead: My PC does not meet the recommended specs so im gonna expect a chunky gameplay - but will still play it even if i do get 2fps

tycho102
11-09-06, 01:50 PM
The AI is extremely problematic. There is some kind of communicable bug that will infect various AI's, and not just your followers. The scientific name for it is "Hey, stupid! Just stand around here and do nothing while the rest of the party is on the other side of the map, waist deep in the dead and loot."

Happens with plot-critical NPC's, too. For whatever reason, they just get stuck and absolutely refuse to budge, and you cannot select or frikkin' move them yourself with a couple fireballs up the keister. Save your game all the time. Every single "room" change, save a new slot. You may have 500 saves by the time you finish the game, but when that AI bug crops up (I'm up to 107), you won't have to reload that far back.

I guess there's three patches out for it, but Atari hasn't made them available for download yet. Atari pushed this one out the door like Lucasarts did with Knights of the Old Republic 2, just in the opposite direction. Kotor-2's storyline was utterly broke, but the AI was ok; NWN2's story seems to be "complete" thus far, but the AI is utterly broke.

So what I'm saying here is, when you become frustrated with a bug, everyone else is right there with you.

NeonSamurai
11-09-06, 02:39 PM
The patches are available via the auto patcher

NeonSamurai
11-10-06, 11:37 AM
Btw anyone else find the combat in nwn2 realy slow and kind of clunky? Especialy at the lower levels where you swing, and then just stare at each other for a while then swing again.

tycho102
11-10-06, 03:42 PM
A "round" in the Infinity engine was 7 seconds. A "turn" is one minute, so there's supposed to be something like 8 rounds per turn. Aurora may have changed that to 6 and 10 -- I haven't really checked.

Companies usually fudge this a bit with animation. If you use haste, giving you more attacks per round, you'll see seperate animations for each attack in during the round in NWN2. Otherwise you'll just get your base attacks, which starts at 1. Boost that up to 3 attacks, and you'll see three seperate attacks during the round.

In BG2, and I believe NWN1, Bioware just averaged the attacks and covered things with animation. All the damage was done at the beginning of each round, but your character would animate 3 attacks per round.

Also, the "auto patcher" isn't working for me. I need a download site. Do you know of one?

NeonSamurai
11-10-06, 04:39 PM
Ya i know, it still feels painfully slow because of the animation. heck in the real world i could attack alot more often then they do in the game with a sword.

As for finding the patches, i looked, but they dont seem to be releasing them for public download. i did find an update for the patcher here http://vnboards.ign.com/site_news/b23044/99918559/p1/ though, which may help.

kiwi_2005
11-10-06, 07:11 PM
Maybe i should of got Gothic 3 first :hmm:

Damn they shouldn't of rushed this game out.:nope: