PDA

View Full Version : No Sinking Credit

oldpdb
11-01-06, 04:40 PM
A couple of days ago I surfaced in a huge storm. I look at the Nav map and see a ship marker right on top of my sub marker. The deck watch gave no warning that a ship was near by. Next the guy that yells "yea" at the time of sinking a ship sounds off. WTH?:o I look again at the nav map and the red sunk ship marker is there.:-?
I never heard grinding of metal or anything to indicate a collision.
I have no idea what kind of ship I struck. Also nothing was logged into the Capitan's log.
I didn't know you could sink ship or boat by collision.:hmm:
Has anyone else ever sunk a ship or boat by collision?:cool:

spork542
11-01-06, 05:16 PM
It might not have been collision. Sometimes small boats like fishing boats, patrol boats, and trawlers sink by themselves in bad weather. Was this a coastal area?

P_Funk
11-01-06, 08:54 PM
It is most likely the weather that sank the ship. This happens when the waves get high enough. I'm guessing that you didn't sink it but that the game recognizes a sunk ship and therefore when its an enemy yur crew gets all happy.

bookworm_020
11-01-06, 10:08 PM
Hey at least your computer know it! Last night, I sank a C3 in terrible conditions, My second torpedo split her in two and sank her, but she had gone out of visual range. This ment I didn't get credit!! Just to add salt to the wound, The sonar operator said the torpedo missed!!!! His name isn't Bernard, but he must be related!! I going to kick him out when I get back home!:damn:

oldpdb
11-02-06, 03:35 AM
Yes, I was near the coast, in a huge storm. I had to move futher out to sea just to run submerged. So I can see hoe the storm would sink small craft.
The wave action was slaming the boat down to the sea bed. Even when I made it to deeper water there was still plenty of wave action at 25 meters. Maybe the next patrol the weather will settle down some. I have the Commander set for seasonal and the date is now Jan 1940. I do love this GW mod.

melnibonian
11-02-06, 06:38 AM
It's a common thing for small boats to get sunk in costal areas during storms. Ocasionally I see the British or American PT Boats on fire as well during bad weather. A clear indication that thy're about to go down :D

Respenus
11-02-06, 07:10 AM
Ships can be sunk in both vanilla and GW. I'm sure the boys will fix it in GWX, as I read realism will be increased!

For small ships getting destroyed in bad weather :o Why doesn't that ever happen to me. As for the sonarman, he's related to my weapons officer, as he manages to miss a 2kt merchant and when the torpedo hits another ship and sinks it, my sonarman still says torpedo missed :damn:

danlisa
11-02-06, 07:17 AM
Ocasionally I see the British or American PT Boats on fire as well during bad weather. A clear indication that thy're about to go down :D

This bug is a result of either saving too close to ports/shipping or it's related to saving while submerged. I can't remember which. However, if you sailed to an enemy port and did not save along the way then you will not see the PT's on fire.

Captain Nemo
11-02-06, 07:23 AM
Ocasionally I see the British or American PT Boats on fire as well during bad weather. A clear indication that thy're about to go down :D

This bug is a result of either saving too close to ports/shipping or it's related to saving while submerged. I can't remember which. However, if you sailed to an enemy port and did not save along the way then you will not see the PT's on fire.

Saving close to ports does it for me.

Nemo

melnibonian
11-02-06, 07:25 AM

That's something I haven't realised. Thanks a lot:up: