SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Mods and files for every subsim!

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Is Silent Hunter Online the worst sub game ever?
Yes, it sucks 10 83.33%
No, it's great 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
bullhorn Worst sub game ever?

Hey guys, I'm back, this time, ranting!
I have been playing SHO on and off for the past year, and I have got to admit. It sucks. I absolutely love the Wolfpack system, and how you can hunt with your friends (I hope that future SH games have that), but everything else about it pretty much sucks.

First, there are 3 screens you will be staring at the whole time; a map, a picture of the inside of a sub with a periscope, and the bridge, where you can look around and...look around. It might just be me, but it's lacking an external view, which I think is very important (view damage to sub, look above surface without periscope, etc.)

Adding to that, the game makes you pay for EVERYTHING. Fuel, weapons, upgrades, new subs, you practically need to pay to start a patrol, let alone running out of fuel in a mission (sucks, believe me)
Even SH5 was better, and I couldn't even start it!

Excuse my ranting, I just wanted to get this out. I thought that when SHO was released, it would become a sub MMO (always wanted one) but it's turned out to be a watch-your-money-go-down-the-drain game
If you want, I have a poll, so you if you like it or not, please vote.
Thanks everyone, and sorry about the ranting
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 11-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Also comment your opinion, guys. Commenting is good
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Sub7
Nub
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 7
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

WoW
and i just started getting in to it...
Sub7 is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
WoW
and i just started getting in to it...
World of Warcraft? That's what you get sometimes with MMOs.
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf
 
ReallyDedPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The one and only East Coast
Posts: 10,483
Downloads: 891
Uploads: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
World of Warcraft? That's what you get sometimes with MMOs.
World of Warships.
ReallyDedPoet is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
World of Warships.
Oh, oops. I immediately thought of Warcraft. Sorry, guys
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf
 
ReallyDedPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The one and only East Coast
Posts: 10,483
Downloads: 891
Uploads: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
Oh, oops. I immediately thought of Warcraft. Sorry, guys
No worries, the other WOW has been around for ever
ReallyDedPoet is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Jammin' Again
 
Sailor Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: High in the mountains of Utah
Posts: 49,288
Downloads: 601
Uploads: 246


Default

I've intentionally stayed away from SHO. The last time I enjoyed a game online was more than ten years ago, playing Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command. With those you got the experience of both attacking convoys being defended by human players and defending those convoys against human-driven u-boats. The game was quirky and realistic in the way it felt.
__________________
"The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them."
-Benjamin Jowett, British theologian and classicist (1817-1893)


Sailor Steve is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I've intentionally stayed away from SHO. The last time I enjoyed a game online was more than ten years ago, playing Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command. With those you got the experience of both attacking convoys being defended by human players and defending those convoys against human-driven u-boats. The game was quirky and realistic in the way it felt.
And with SH5 having been rushed out and unfinished, and SHO, in the Fremium MMO it is, I feel that Ubisoft has abandoned Silent Hunter. Which is a shame, considering that it was one of Ubisoft's top paying installments.
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 11-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Jammin' Again
 
Sailor Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: High in the mountains of Utah
Posts: 49,288
Downloads: 601
Uploads: 246


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
Which is a shame, considering that it was one of Ubisoft's top paying installments.
Was it really? I've heard that it was one of the lowest, even SH3. By simulation standards the games have sold well, but overall I don't think the Silent Hunter series is even in the top 100.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161973
__________________
"The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them."
-Benjamin Jowett, British theologian and classicist (1817-1893)


Sailor Steve is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Was it really? I've heard that it was one of the lowest, even SH3. By simulation standards the games have sold well, but overall I don't think the Silent Hunter series is even in the top 100.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161973
I guess I just assumed that it was pretty high, considering that it was one of the best simulation games out there. My bad.
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #12
Bonfleck
Loader
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 83
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Opinion

I unfortunately knew from the very 1st news of SHO that it was going to be a bust and relied on my intuition to never even bother with it. I never got to play Aces of the Deep since my life was to busy with other passions in those days. Silent hunter 1 was amazingly playable, stable and FUN. Couldn't believe I actually built a new pc just to play the pathetic silent hunter 2 (OMG It was so awful!) , Silent Hunter III with the GWX add on will possibly be the best a sub sim will ever be but its literally a time vampire that will endanger your marriage and family life, Silent Hunter IV.........GONG! (quirkiest lame AI of any video game EVER!) And Silent Hunter 5 with it's wishy washy realism, failed attempt at integrating an interactive crew and repetitive nonsense of scripted boring hurdles to overcome totally overshadowed the aesthetically pleasing advancements. I wait with baited breathe for Wolves Of The Atlantic but it seems like it's been in poorly funded development for so long I fear the worst if it's ever released. In a nutshell, we who will be forever intrigued by the submarine war of the 1930s and 40s will sadly never realize the gaming experience we truly deserve. Our only hope is the Star Trek "Holodeck" version we can program and immerse in ourselves. Maybe in another 20 years.
Bonfleck is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
tris
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts, US
Posts: 3
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfleck View Post
I unfortunately knew from the very 1st news of SHO that it was going to be a bust and relied on my intuition to never even bother with it. I never got to play Aces of the Deep since my life was to busy with other passions in those days. Silent hunter 1 was amazingly playable, stable and FUN. Couldn't believe I actually built a new pc just to play the pathetic silent hunter 2 (OMG It was so awful!) , Silent Hunter III with the GWX add on will possibly be the best a sub sim will ever be but its literally a time vampire that will endanger your marriage and family life, Silent Hunter IV.........GONG! (quirkiest lame AI of any video game EVER!) And Silent Hunter 5 with it's wishy washy realism, failed attempt at integrating an interactive crew and repetitive nonsense of scripted boring hurdles to overcome totally overshadowed the aesthetically pleasing advancements. I wait with baited breathe for Wolves Of The Atlantic but it seems like it's been in poorly funded development for so long I fear the worst if it's ever released. In a nutshell, we who will be forever intrigued by the submarine war of the 1930s and 40s will sadly never realize the gaming experience we truly deserve. Our only hope is the Star Trek "Holodeck" version we can program and immerse in ourselves. Maybe in another 20 years.
Or yeah know, join the Navy?
tris is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 12,628
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default Welcome aboard!

tris!
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe..." Philip K. Dick
Aktungbby is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #15
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: In shallow waters
Posts: 391
Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default

Oh, we've got a newbie here! Welcome aboard, Tris! I hope you enjoy your stay at Hotel Subsim
__________________

Warning - The post above may contain sarcasm.
CaptainRamius is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997- 2017 Subsim