SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-13, 02:15 PM   #1
makiferol
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Can't change ammo type for my flak gun ?

I click on the HE ammo type but nothin happens, any idea about what i am doing wrong ?
Old 10-05-13, 02:20 PM   #2
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

FLAK has only one ammo type, at least early in the game. So you probably have 0 of them, which makes it sortof 'greyed out'. (not clickable)
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-13, 02:22 PM   #3
makiferol
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
FLAK has only one ammo type, at least early in the game. So you probably have 0 of them, which makes it sortof 'greyed out'. (not clickable)
Ahhh i get it now. When i see them in the list i thought they were available. I am trying to get used to deck gun and flak now. Could i sink ships with AP ammos ?
Old 10-05-13, 03:46 PM   #4
plj
Captain

With the deckgun, you can. It blows very nice holes in the ship .. aim at engine room or waterline with AP's ... great fun
Old 10-06-13, 01:23 AM   #5
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

If you want I could make you a mod with different AA rounds if you want.

With AA rounds you really just get a nice explosion effect when it gets near an aircraft and not much else.
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 01:34 AM   #6
plj
Captain

If you can make it fire deadly snowballs, that would be nice :p
Old 10-06-13, 09:04 AM   #7
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

The bullets are not visible, so I cannot change them to appear as snow balls.
I am not sure then even have a solid physical property.
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 04:28 PM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makiferol View Post
Ahhh i get it now. When i see them in the list i thought they were available. I am trying to get used to deck gun and flak now. Could i sink ships with AP ammos ?
Reworked U-boat Guns introduces HE and SAP ammo for the 20 mm Flaks. Number of bullets per gun are also greatly increased, and (thans to Volodya's thorough calibration) our gunners will actually aim at their targets, as they should have done since SH5's release... but everything comes with a cost: gun's training/elevation have been made much more slow, and also rates of fire have been reduced for most guns. All of the above features are according to real specifications. Have you guys tried this mod?

Quote:
With the deckgun, you can. It blows very nice holes in the ship .. aim at engine room or waterline with AP's ... great fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Actually stand off a bit with the AP and bring down cracking fire on the target approx. 3000 meters which is good for avoiding return fire; Once a big plume explosion goes up clos and finish with the HE.
As far as I could read from books and specialized websites, 88mm AP ordnance was the least used type of ammunition used aboard U-boats, and for a reason: U-boat targets were non-armored ships, whose hull could be pierced by HE shells. Due to their explosive charge, HE shells could cause a bigger damage, and they had a bigger blast radius. On the contrary, AP shells would have trespassed merchant's hull from side to side, without actually exploding in most cases. Part of the aforementioned facts are modelled in game. For all of the above, Reworked U-boat Guns has reduced the number of AP shells to a fraction of the stock loadout, replacing them with HE ammunition. IIRC the AP to HE proportion is now 3:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I LOVE the deck gun and consider it the primary tonnage weapon of cost-effective tonnage accumulation for the precious eel wasters, Cimmarons and tough little Hog Islanders.
In my opinion, SH5 gives an eccessive role to the deck gun. I remember I could go around early in campaign, and amass an huge quantity of sunk tonnage without firing a single eel. Reworked U-boat Guns and sobers bad weather deck gun (either of them: no need to install them both) make deck gun's handling gruesome (), as it was in reality, and render it a much lesser accurate weapon, especially at long range and on stormy weather. If you decide to install those mods, say good bye to your exaggerated version of "happy times"

Quote:
Originally Posted by V13dweller View Post
The bullets are not visible, so I cannot change them to appear as snow balls.
I am not sure then even have a solid physical property.
You are partly correct: bullets have not 3d meshes; due to their speed they wouldn't be visible anyway, and they would burden our GPU with no reason. They are nonetheless treated as physical objects, and they can be assigned a particle generator (this is how tracer rounds are modelled in game). Moreover, they can be set as proximity fuzed rounds, with a second particle generator used for the explosion effect. We could therefore model ball ammunition, if only it was realistic aboard an U-boat. The upcoming versions of Reworked U-boat Guns will nonetheless make the best use of SH5's bullets for modelling different types of ammunition and tracers

I am sorry guys if it looks like I am blatantly advertising my and Volodya's mod, but this is exactly what I am doing, as I feel that its "unofficial" release went unobserved somehow. The more feed back about it, the better the chances that I and Volodya will keep our work on it, releasing an "official" version.

P.S: Volodya, your marketing skills are close to zero

Last edited by gap; 10-07-13 at 09:10 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 04:40 PM   #9
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
P.S: Volodya, your marketing skills are close to zero
I didn't show/test my marketing skills there.. I was waiting your release of full version..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 05:12 PM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I didn't show/test my marketing skills there.. I was waiting your release of full version..
You are right, I blamed on you my own mistakes, but I am here to redeem myself

Let's see if people will enjoy the beta you have posted, and if they do (I am almost sure about it) an official release won't be late this time
Old 10-06-13, 05:15 PM   #11
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Let's see if people will enjoy the beta you have posted, and if they do (I am almost sure about it) an official release won't be late this time
There is too few people now in the forum for a full test..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 10-06-13, 05:38 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
There is too few people now in the forum for a full test..
Well, why don't you make an alpha release post on the Historical Guns Specs thread, with full detail on mod's features and usage. In the next weeks we will keep posting in the thread, to bear some attenction on it.

I can help you with the changelog and with the todo list, if you want, and I will update the first page with link to your new post. I think I have allready put a link to your other post of Fifi's thread, but it was lacking basic information and I think no one noticed it or took it seriously.
Old 10-06-13, 05:43 PM   #13
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Well, why don't you make an alpha release post on the Historical Guns Specs thread, with full detail on mod's features and usage. In the next weeks we will keep posting in the thread, to bear some attenction on it.
Because I thought you'll release full version in a few days..

Quote:
I can help you with the changelog and with the todo list, if you want, and I will update the first page with link to your new post. I think I have allready put a link to your other post of Fifi's thread, but it was lacking basic information and I think no one noticed it or took it seriously.
OK, I'll do it.. maybe closer to the next weekend ..

Old 10-06-13, 05:50 PM   #14
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Because I thought you'll release full version in a few days..
I am happier if you do it: sometimes I think you worked on this mod more than I did.
Just don't take it as a lack of affection to our mod. Quite the reverse
Old 10-06-13, 05:57 PM   #15
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I am happier if you do it: sometimes I think you worked on this mod more than I did.
Just don't take it as a lack of affection to our mod. Quite the reverse
If you mean that I'll release full version it's hard to me.. there will need to handle text files, but my English is very far from ideal ..