SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-13, 09:09 PM   #1
GOREUNCLE
Watch

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1
Default [REL] Better U.S. medals for TMO/OTC

Better U.S. medals 1.0 for TMO 2.5/OTC 1.5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:

In 2009 I was awarded my first SH4 medal. It was a bountiful patrol, 2 carriers and 2 heavy cruisers sunk just in the first engagement, several merchants were sunk afterwards. Eventually, I ran out of torpedoes and set course to base, I was eager to get my gold...until I saw that fake low-res thing! I've been waiting for some real medal pictures ever since.
Even though CapnScurvy has done remarkable work in this regard (U.S. Medals Fix II_TMO and OTC), I felt that medal pictures still weren't good enough. This mod is my attempt to settle the matter once and for all.

Mod description:

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comparison_TMO.jpg

TMO includes
CapnScurvy's medal fix (I think). This great fix replaced SH4 fake vanilla medals with real ones and also corrected discrepances in medal names. Medal pictures, however, remained low-res.

Comparison_OTC.jpg

With OTC 1.5
CapnScurvy reached new heights. This amazing work corrected several scope views which led to inaccurate manual range readings. Also, it included, among many other things, new medal pictures with better resolution.
But I felt those new pictures still weren't good enough.

Better U.S. medals for TMO/OTC
adds 6 completely new U.S. medal pictures with better quality than any other SH4 medal mod I've seen so far.
I'm not bragging! If I had seen a medal mod with similar quality I wouldn't have made this one... I had to put in too many hours of Photoshop!

To keep things simple I used CapnScurvy's medal selection (which I believe is already included in TMO 1.9+), I just made new pictures for them almost from scratch.

Ribbons have been added to the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign and Navy Commendation medals, since those medals didn't yet exist during WW2 but were awarded as ribbons (this way you can see it all at once ).

Medal list:
-Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal + ribbon
-Navy Commendation Medal + ribbon
-Purple Heart Medal
-Bronze Star Medal
-Silver Star Medal
-Navy Cross

This mod comes in two versions, one for TMO and another for TMO+OTC. It has been tested with TMO 2.5 and OTC 1.5.
However, it may work with other mods too (as long as they use AwardsItems_1.dds/ AwardsItems_2.dds or CaptainAwards_1.tga/CaptainAwards_2.tga as the source for medal pictures AND don't change medal selection)

Mod requirements:

-TMO 1.9+ is required since it includes
CapnScurvy's medal fix (Again, I believe . If it doesn't, then you'll need it), which provides compatible medal selection and proper naming.

-I've included another version compatible with OTC 1.5, in case you are using this mod. It goes without saying that you'll need OTC 1.5 to run it .

-This mod is JSGME ready so JSGME is recommended. Of course, if you prefer to endlessly copy/paste files old school style, that's ok too!

Installation instructions:

Activate it via JSGME (after TMO/OTC) or read the manual installation instructions contained in the mod.

Credits:

I'd like to thank
CapnScurvy and his co-modders who made essential changes to SH4's award system without which this mod would've been impossible or, at least, much harder to create.
I'd also like to thank the TMO team who made a gigantic effort that brought SH4 to the next level.
Finally, I thank the SUBSIM community for making all this possible.

Better U.S. medals 1.0 for TMO/OTC download links:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4118

This mod is finally available in the downloads section!

http://www.2shared.com/file/df--m2EI...or_TMO_25.html

WATCH OUT! You must click the SECOND download link (it's the smaller blue rectangle which reads "download").

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23434...nd_OTC_1_5_rar

Gamefront download access is limited to certain countries!
Check
http://www.gamefront.com/file-hosting-faq/ for more info.

I'll try to provide support for this mod as long as knowledge and time allow me.

Enjoy!

Last edited by GOREUNCLE; 06-28-13 at 07:56 PM. Reason: new information
GOREUNCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 11:47 AM   #2
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18

The gamefront download link worked for me. The medals look great. Very nice initial [REL] post, and first class documentation. BRAVO ZULU.

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 01:04 PM   #3
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Good mod, Those Hi-res medals just look amazing!
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 03:40 PM   #4
GOREUNCLE
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbjackso View Post
The gamefront download link worked for me. The medals look great. Very nice initial [REL] post, and first class documentation. BRAVO ZULU.
Thanks a lot!
Yep,the US have download access to Gamefront, but I discovered some other countries (like mine) don't. That's why I couldn't download from my own link

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Good mod, Those Hi-res medals just look amazing!
Thanks! That's why I made this mod!
Old 06-22-13, 10:45 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Nice work!
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 01:14 PM   #6
GOREUNCLE
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Nice work!
Thanks!

BTW, Has anybody experienced any problems with my mod? Wrong medal names, missing medals, nuclear blasts, etc.?

I'm impressed, the first version of my first SH4 mod seems to work flawlessly

Tags
award, commendation, decoration, medal