SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

I need forum nicknames for: Pavel Sar____, Sascha Rie____, Joseph Buc____, so I can upgrade your account. PM me. -- Neal Stevens

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
kimuraijn
XO
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 417
Downloads: 198
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 IS the Best when Modded

I have owned all 3 Series of Silent Hunter , SH5 in my opinion has to be the best of the series . Only if its modded and played at 100% I gave up on on it when I bought it about a year ago and almost tried to sell it .. But recently after A year , I knew that would be some good modders out there that would dedicate themselves to making the sin alot better and that has come to pass .. thanks for all the modders work .. very much appreciated in making this game what it should have been right out of the box .. Hmm I think Ubsoft pusses to hard to get crap out like the neweset version Of Il2 Wings over dover ?


Salute

Kimura
__________________



Kapitän Leutnant Braten Eier in Silent Hunter 5, nact toten U-77
kimuraijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
jason210
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sweden / UK
Posts: 729
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

I've heard others say this but I have also heard people say that even modded, SHV does not offer you a simulation in the same sense modded SHIII does.

However I am in a similar position to you. I've just bought SHV because I thought it was time to try it, now that the constant online requirement has been removed.

However, modding SHV is hard. I visited the downloads area of Subsim to see what there is but it seems out of date. For example, The Dark Wraith's UI mod is from last year - and I know there are later vrsions than those because seen references to them in the forum. So now I'm wondering where I should find all these mods? For a newcomer to SHV it's difficult to know what and where all the latest mods are, and it's also difficult to know which mods to combine.

Which mods are you using?
__________________
Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460
8GB memory
Windows 7 64-bit.
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
tonschk
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,801
Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default

May be you need to check out this thread and choose the Mods you like "List Your MOD Loadout/Order "
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173193&page=56
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
jason210
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sweden / UK
Posts: 729
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Thanks. But how can I take anything you post seriously when your signature says that 911 was an inside job?
__________________
Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460
8GB memory
Windows 7 64-bit.
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 8,768
Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default

GT is that way, guys. ---> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175

The Management
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
kimuraijn
XO
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 417
Downloads: 198
Uploads: 0
Default hey JASOn

Give it a try

My mods are simple I havent loaded every mod that is out ther but TDW 6,90 and mighty fine crew work for me Iam a work in progress so to speak here are my mods

try it Iam on a new patrol I will add as I go


I suggest that you modify your hydrophone with Sh5 exe look for this post
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

also watch these videos .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
Trevally Tutorials - All v0.2 (for TDW UI)
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt w beards
German U-Boat Crew Language Pack
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
stoianm upgrade available mod compatible a fistfull of emblems&Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_1_2_byTheBeast
Uboat_Snorkel_1_1_0_by_TheDarkWraith
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk
Harbour Addition MOD V0.1
Trevally Harbour & Kiel Canal Pilot v2.8
SubFlags_0_0_8_byTheDarkWraith
AOB slide ruller for TDW UIs and MO by stoianm

the japanese killer of allied ships

KIMURA
__________________



Kapitän Leutnant Braten Eier in Silent Hunter 5, nact toten U-77
kimuraijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,993
Downloads: 146
Uploads: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason210 View Post
I've heard others say this but I have also heard people say that even modded, SHV does not offer you a simulation in the same sense modded SHIII does.

However I am in a similar position to you. I've just bought SHV because I thought it was time to try it, now that the constant online requirement has been removed.

However, modding SHV is hard. I visited the downloads area of Subsim to see what there is but it seems out of date. For example, The Dark Wraith's UI mod is from last year - and I know there are later vrsions than those because seen references to them in the forum. So now I'm wondering where I should find all these mods? For a newcomer to SHV it's difficult to know what and where all the latest mods are, and it's also difficult to know which mods to combine.
Modded SH3 doesn't even come close to the simulation that modded SH5 has. Show me where you can do real navigation in SH3? Show me a real in-game journal that you can write your own notes/logs into in SH3? Show me the ability to automate daily tasks/searches/etc. in SH3 (what I call Automation in SH5)? Show me where you have the ability to write custom scripts that can do whatever you want in SH3? Show me where you can have in-game tutorials that can highlight objects, show pictures, and interact with the player in SH3? Show me where you can completely change the AI behavior via scripting in SH3? I can go on and on. Point is SH3 was good in it's day - now it's a dinosaur compared to SH5. Seeing that you just bought it I don't see how you can make that kind of statement. It will take you months to figure out what SH5 has to offer/brings to the table (and depending on what mods you install it could take you many months more).

The downloads section is not the most up-to-date place for SH5 mods. To find the most up-to-date mods look in the SH5 mods forum.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
jason210
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sweden / UK
Posts: 729
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Point is SH3 was good in it's day - now it's a dinosaur compared to SH5. Seeing that you just bought it I don't see how you can make that kind of statement. It will take you months to figure out what SH5 has to offer/brings to the table (and depending on what mods you install it could take you many months more).
This is what I have heard, and I can make a statement about what I've heard, and my statement was nothing more than that. There are numerous posts about this with all kinds of opinions. However perhaps they have been in older threads, prior to more recent developments.

The reason I contributed here is that find myself in a situation where I am pondering which mods to install, the order to put them in, and so on; and at the same have been wondering if this will make it better than earlier versions at the end of the day. As you say, it will take me months to figure out what it can offer which is quite an investment.

Quote:
Point is SH3 was good in it's day - now it's a dinosaur compared to SH5.
For a long time I have been using SH4 with RFB and I really like that, and do I agree Sh3 is just too old.

Anyway, I'm glad you contributed here because, knowing who you are, reading your post has been most encouraging!

This is my preliminary choice of mods, which I am figuring out how to install:

IRAI_0_0_30
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0
OHII_full V1.5
Stoianm pitch&roll
MoraleMod
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo.
Accurate German flags

I bleieve this choice would be a good start, but I don't yet if these are all compatible. Right now I'm looking into getting your OptionsViewer up and running.

Thanks for your work, by the way. It's very much appreciated.
/jason
__________________
Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460
8GB memory
Windows 7 64-bit.
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Trevally.
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AN1536 (Orkney)
Posts: 5,290
Downloads: 153
Uploads: 28


Default

Try this order for those mods:-

MoraleMod
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo.

Accurate German flags
IRAI_0_0_30
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0

Stoianm pitch&roll
OHII_full V1.5 +patch3b

__________________
Trevally Mods for SH5
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
jason210
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sweden / UK
Posts: 729
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Try this order for those mods:-

MoraleMod
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo.
Accurate German flags
IRAI_0_0_30
NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0
Stoianm pitch&roll
OHII_full V1.5 +patch3b

I've no clue how you worked it out, but thanks!
__________________
Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460
8GB memory
Windows 7 64-bit.
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Growing on me...
 
Sailor Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: High in the mountains of Utah
Posts: 49,993
Downloads: 477
Uploads: 241


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Modded SH3 doesn't even come close to the simulation that modded SH5 has.
I can't argue against any of your points. They're all true. That said, even if I could replace my computer today I'll still be playing SH3 until SH5 gives me a Type II and Type IX u-boat, over 200 merchant ship types with names and cargoes and a full crew with names for each of them. When that happens I'll be right there with you.
__________________
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."
―Edward Abbey


Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
jason210
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sweden / UK
Posts: 729
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimuraijn View Post
I have owned all 3 Series of Silent Hunter , SH5 in my opinion has to be the best of the series . Only if its modded and played at 100%
Having played it now for two days in a row with TDW's UI mods and a few others, I have say I FULLY agree.

It is the best, thanks to the dedicated enthusiam and work of some talented programmers.
__________________
Intel Core i7 @ 2.8GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460
8GB memory
Windows 7 64-bit.

Last edited by jason210; 12-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
JU_88
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,138
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason210 View Post
Having played it now for two days in a row the TDW UI mods and a few others, I have say I FULLY agree.

It is the best, thanks to the dedicated enthusiam and work of some talented programmers.
I think I really need to get back in to Sh5, Sh3 was great back in the day and i feel very nostalgic about it, but I dont think i could get back in to III now, already done it to death, kinda why I hold off on SH5, for all its differences its still fundementally the same thing - a Uboat sim. but I think im starting to regain my appitite for subsimming, so SHV is the obvious choice.
__________________
"Derpy Derp Derpity Derp.... I like cheese."
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Growing on me...
 
Sailor Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: High in the mountains of Utah
Posts: 49,993
Downloads: 477
Uploads: 241


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
I think I really need to get back in to Sh5, Sh3 was great back in the day and i feel very nostalgic about it, but I dont think i could get back in to III now, already done it to death, kinda why I hold off on SH5, for all its differences its still fundementally the same thing - a Uboat sim. but I think im starting to regain my appitite for subsimming, so SHV is the obvious choice.
And you should. While I have my own stated reasons for my preferences, the fact is that SH5 is very different from SH3, but within its own framework is an outstanding game. The feel is very different, and well worth experiencing.
__________________
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."
―Edward Abbey


Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
DJSatane
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 263
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If only UBI actually allowed developers to support the games... but they havent since sh3 and nothing changed.
__________________
DJSatane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997- 2014 Subsim