Old 03-17-11, 05:39 PM   #1
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default Libyan No-Fly Zone res. passed by UN

Just now on CNN Int.

10 for, 0 against, 5 abstentions.

Edit: I meant to say "Libyan". Sorry for this, I always get that wrong... Maybe a mod wants to correct it, I don't know if I can / how to edit that line.

heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:43 PM   #2
Blood_splat
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 20

Too late?
Blood_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:46 PM   #3
heartc
Samurai Navy

That could very well be the case. Let's hope it's not.

Old 03-17-11, 05:49 PM   #4
heartc
Samurai Navy

Now it's on their website:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/17...ne-over-libya/

Old 03-17-11, 05:53 PM   #5
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

The resolution is wider than just a no-fly zone. I understand that the US is toying with the idea of "surgical" strikes against Gaddafi's armour force, but wants arab states in the region to commit their military also.

ps - I often spell it "Lybia" as well since in french it is "Lybie".
Old 03-17-11, 06:00 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Considering the context of the Libyan revolt and the Arab Spring in general, I really hope that countries like the US, France, and the UK (or anyone else that had a hand in setting up and maintaining the rather autocratic governments that are on the way out) do NOT end up taking the military lead on this. The trust just isn't there. But I haven't heard anything in the news to suggest that regional powers like Egypt or Turkey are going to step up to the plate here. FNC suggesting Europe is going to take the early lead.

I also wish that if "we" were going to go this route, we would have done it weeks ago.
Old 03-17-11, 06:01 PM   #7
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartc View Post
That could very well be the case. Let's hope it's not.
I hope so too. May it give the rebels a chance to win.
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:01 PM   #8
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

the cynical side of me says this is all a show - i mean it's for real, but it came after giving the libyan government forces the time to gain enough superiority to be able to finish on the ground, and that this was intentional, but now we have to demonstrate our moral superiority so we have to do something "serious"

and the reason is,firstly, our good allies, the saudis are in bahrain, right now, helping the bahrainians (or whatever you call them) put down their rebels the hard way. And we also intend to let the saudis put down any rebellion in their own land, should it arise.

secondly, we have doubts as to what it would mean if the rebels succeed. in egypt it's ok, because the rebellion didn't really do anything, the army is still in control. tunisia doesn't matter anyway. But Libya? who knows? gadafi is weird, sure, but he wants to do business and hasn't done anything we find objectionable for 20 years or more.

my guess is then, that this is a negotiation, and if gadaffi grounds his planes now, and continues to squash the rebellion on foot - we'll let him.

but the truth will out
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:05 PM   #9
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman View Post
the cynical side of me says this is all a show - i mean it's for real, but it came after giving the libyan government forces the time to gain enough superiority to be able to finish on the ground, and that this was intentional, but now we have to demonstrate our moral superiority so we have to do something "serious"

and the reason is,firstly, our good allies, the saudis are in bahrain, right now, helping the bahrainians (or whatever you call them) put down their rebels the hard way. And we also intend to let the saudis put down any rebellion in their own land, should it arise.

secondly, we have doubts as to what it would mean if the rebels succeed. in egypt it's ok, because the rebellion didn't really do anything, the army is still in control. tunisia doesn't matter anyway. But Libya? who knows? gadafi is weird, sure, but he wants to do business and hasn't done anything we find objectionable for 20 years or more.

my guess is then, that this is a negotiation, and if gadaffi grounds his planes now, and continues to squash the rebellion on foot - we'll let him.

but the truth will out
I think you're right on the mark Joe.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:20 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

We are three there, Joe, August.

Divide et impera. Let both sides bleed, seems to be the motto.

But I think some Western politicians may have made the bill without Gadaffi. He already has spit out some threats against the French, against Mediterranean naval traffic, and that he will take revenge by conspirating with Al Quaeda.
Old 03-17-11, 06:23 PM   #11
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I am told the first strikes will be unilateral ones by British and French aircraft. They could be in the air within hours. It is likely five Arab air forces will take part. Hillary Clinton has said it will mean bombing Libyan air defences. Nato will step up if asked but could take a while.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ould_comm.html

Hopefully those 5 Arab air forces will make their presence known early. I'd imagine US forces will be picking off air defense sites with TLAMs to clear the path for the Brits and French.
Old 03-17-11, 06:32 PM   #12
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Well there was already a sea blockade in effect yesterday, but a ship apparently got though and delivered armor to Tripoli.

But I think this maybe too little too late. Unless we really bomb Qaddafi's forces, I don't mean surgical strikes I mean take out anything military moving east the rebels don't have much hope. I saw a Libyan Loyalist commander saying they were going to bypass Benghazi and go for Tobruk to encircle the rebels.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:35 PM   #13
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24

It's a civil war within it's own sovereign borders. Why in the heck are we getting involved yet again in others business? It has nothing, zero, zilch to do with the United States of America or any other European nation for that matter.

Just my thoughts let the war drums beat yet again.
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:37 PM   #14
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

So who's enforcing this no-flyzone? It's march maddness here, so count the US out. No executive desicions will be made until after April 4th.
Old 03-17-11, 06:40 PM   #15
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Tripoli is here, right?