SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Mods and files for every subsim!

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #31
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

I mean seriously, where the heck have you been man? this is ****ing awesome!!!! You really should consider developing a studio and make a true 100000% realistic sub game!!

this is every sick skipper armchair captain boy dream come true.. You've fixed the wreckage!!!

I mean... of joy...

here:

and for the family too:

to a much anticipated mod, a bright career, and of course, further novelties
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Nice work. Combine this with Nisegis 3D TDC and radar ranging mod and you'd probably have the most technically accurate mod package around.

As for not making any mod specific versions. I can understand that. If it were me, i wouldn't either. It's too much work.

In case anyone is wondering. No i'm not going to adapt this to TMO. For starters, i don't see anything about permissions. For two, I'm not asking anyway, because I have no intention of modding anything for the time being. My Fun meter is pegged, and im down right onry these days. For three, I can't, and don't keep up with the mod forum. Someone will always come up with something really cool. I can't stop my life, bend over backwards, and update a supermod for a game i've never really got a chance to play every time someone comes up with something cool.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #33
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Nice work. Combine this with Nisegis 3D TDC and radar ranging mod and you'd probably have the most technically accurate mod package around.

As for not making any mod specific versions. I can understand that. If it were me, i wouldn't either. It's too much work.

In case anyone is wondering. No i'm not going to adapt this to TMO. For starters, i don't see anything about permissions. For two, I'm not asking anyway, because I have no intention of modding anything for the time being. My Fun meter is pegged, and im down right onry these days. For three, I can't, and don't keep up with the mod forum. Someone will always come up with something really cool. I can't stop my life, bend over backwards, and update a supermod for a game i've never really got a chance to play every time someone comes up with something cool.
I don't blame you. Go blow off some black powder in Empire Total War.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #34
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 347
Uploads: 10

Quote:
That would be a very beautiful mod. It might just be enough to draw me in to start trying to mod.

Quote:
I understand what both of you have said. A single person can only do so much, and we can't ask you to give up your lives to support us.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #35
Slyguy3129
Lieutenant

Downloads: 93

Perhaps we could pick up some slack Duci?

I don't know much about modding but if there is simple stuff that we can solve ie like how Capt Morgan solved the RSRD air power issue in TMO we seem to have stuff like that down pat.

Just a suggestion of course.
Slyguy3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #36
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 64

Thank you all for the thoughts!!

As I pointed out, my plan is to make a compatible version to work with RSRDC v550. I've got maybe 20 ships to setup and check for accurate height and length measurements. There are other issues also to look at before setting it out, but it shouldn't take too long. Its true Lurker has given things a bit of a rest lately. That's why I feel I can make a compatible version that won't necessarily need to be updated as often as in the past.

Whether it works with GFO, I don't know. I know overlaying it over GFO will change some of Websters ship.sim files due to his (and my) concern regarding ship acceleration.

Which is better....??? That's not as important as making the change. I do know he has one ship, the J class, that sits too far in the water. I've not tried to test it with heavy seas (15 mph winds) but I'm suspecting it will swamp in a short period of time.

As far as permissions, they are pretty light with this mod. Use as you want, just give credit where its due.

The wife and I are taking a short vacation to Canada. Going to the Brier tonight (look it up for those not in the know ), snowmobiling later in the week, then back down to Toronto for the Sportsman Show. Should be fun!! I'll be taking a computer along, so I'll answer any questions as they may come up.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #37
BillBam
Weps

Downloads: 162

Would be nice if this could be combined with the TGT DIALS to PK FIT mod so we can continue to have real time updates as we enter into the TDC. I find setting AOB very easy with this mod once you know the target's course.

EDIT:
Was able to manualy add the Easy AOB portion of the mod to this one by adding

[Dial78]
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_AngleOnBow
Type=42; DIAL_TGT_ANG_ON_BOW
Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x43010002
CrtVal=0x43010003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.1,-0.1
RealVal=180,-180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

And editing this dial config with a semi-colon as shown below.

[Dial14]
Name=Sol_Angonbow
Type=27; DIAL_SOL_ANGONBOW
;Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x3B0F00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0F0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-180,180
RealVal=-180,180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Last edited by BillBam; 03-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default A few issues

I am trying the mod. My first attack failed. Two issues for me. I could not lock on the target, as it was dark. I had not activated the original scopes. Tracking the moving target without locking on is not easy. Second, there is not a button to ID the ship, so you have to search through the target manuel to ID it. That take time. I assume that meauring speed it best done when the ship is around 45 degrees?

I will try my next attack when the sun is shining.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #39
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 231

I was wondering about the "ID ship" button too. Was that intentionally taken out Capn?
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #40
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I am trying the mod. My first attack failed. Two issues for me. I could not lock on the target, as it was dark. I had not activated the original scopes. Tracking the moving target without locking on is not easy. Second, there is not a button to ID the ship, so you have to search through the target manual to ID it. That take time. I assume that measuring speed it best done when the ship is around 45 degrees?

I will try my next attack when the sun is shining.
As far as a night attack not allowing for a "lock" on a target, this sounds like a problem. Activating the "Original Scopes" won't help. I'm guessing it's the same problem RFB had when they couldn't hold a "lock" for more than a few seconds. This may be something I'll have to address. Believe me, I hate finding out this kind of stuff because it sounds like I've not tested the mod enough. The point is, one guy doesn't make a platoon. So, if you find issues like this please let me know. If more than one can confirm the same problem, that's great. I'll suspect there is a genuine problem, not just a fluke with one guys hardware. Sorry to seem to use a "released" mod as a test for all situations, in reality I guess it is.

Regarding an "orders bar" button to ID a target; Was this a stock feature? I guess I always played striking the "N" key to have the RM appear, then thumbing through the manual to find the ship I'm looking for. Maybe the problem is I know just about all the ships by heart without needing to compare each images, I know where to find it and have never relied on a button to find the page for me. I can see where this could be a problem as well.

As far as getting a speed estimate, I've always used the navigation map to plot a targets position (with or without contacts enabled) and get a speed estimate by measuring distance through elapsed time.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-12-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #41
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
As far as a night attack not allowing for a "lock" on a target, this sounds like a problem. Activating the "Original Scopes" won't help. I'm guessing it's the same problem RFB had when they couldn't hold a "lock" for more than a few seconds. This may be something I'll have to address. Believe me, I hate finding out this kind of stuff because it sounds like I've not tested the mod enough. The point is, one guy doesn't make a platoon. So, if you find issues like this please let me know. If more than one can confirm the same problem, that's great. I'll suspect there is a genuine problem, not just a fluke with one guys hardware. Sorry to seem to use a "released" mod as a test for all situations, in reality I guess it is.

Regarding an "orders bar" button to ID a target; Was this a stock feature? I guess I always played striking the "N" key to have the RM appear, then thumbing through the manual to find the ship I'm looking for. Maybe the problem is I know just about all the ships by heart without needing to compare each images, I know where to find it and have never relied on a button to find the page for me. I can see where this could be a problem as well.

As far as getting a speed estimate, I've always used the navigation map to plot a targets position (with or without contacts enabled) and get a speed estimate by measuring distance through elapsed time.
I only had a problem with one ship at night, as that is the only one I have attacked at night. I was able to lock on a dd during the day, but I did not attack it.

I do not have a big problem with having to thumb through the recognition manual to ID a ship. It is merely a convenient shortcut. I do not think the stock orders bar had an icon to ID the ship. I believe it was added by a supermod as it exists in TMO.

How are you setting the speed of the target with map contacts disabled? (I guess you measure the time it takes the target to cross the scope, but what then?)

I agree that the issue of locking on a target at night may be an issue only for me. If it happens often, I will let you know. I do have a new Leveno laptop though, and it handles the game well. Let's wait until others weigh in, as you suggest. Your mods are usually thoroughly developed, so this one probably is too.

I think your tutorial is terrific. I consider it comparable to aaronblood's tutorial on Mobo. Both managed to take a complex concept on an equally complex subject and explain it simply. You are a great teacher, and have mastered theories of the submarine attack that put you and a few others (i.e. gutted, nisgeis, etc. by way of example) in a class by yourselves. I especially like the notes at the end where you point out the minor issues with the mod, and the screen shots where you verify your readings on the Attack Dials.)

I printed a copy. Where is it? Lying on top of my radio next to my bed. I was reading it when I fell asleep last night. ("Yo! Taylor, could you please go to my room and pick up the document I left on the radio?" Reply: "Dad, get off the computer, and get it yourself! I am busy trying out a new attack mod in SH!" Even admirials sometimes get no respect!)

Enjoy your vacation. Hopefully, I will survive (the enemy warships) until you get back.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #42
CapnScurvy
General Nuisance

@ I'm goin' down.

Please believe me, I'm not doubting you about the "Lock" at night situation. Since I'm not at home to check, I can't confirm or deny the issue. I just know RFB had a problem with it, and I came up with a fix for it, way back when. So I'm not happy to learn I may have overstepped my bounds by putting the same issue into my attempt to change the way the game visually detects things. To give myself the same advice I gave LukeFF "Don't try to fix something if it isn't really, really broke".

Finding speed without map contacts.

How I've always gotten speed from plotting on the navigation map (with contacts off) is spelled out in an old tutorial of mine called "High Realism Tutorial" found HERE. I probably need to update the thing, but the main idea is to transfer the data you attain from the scope readings unto the navigation map. You take the relative bearing of the target and on the navigation map mark with a straight line this bearing (using the protractor tool). You now have the starting bearing of the target compared to the sub drawn on the map. It's along this bearing line (somewhere) the target is positioned. You need to find the targets range along this bearing line to mark its present position (lets call this point A). You need to find the target range and put it on the map at the same time (not easy to do, but before you go to the navigation map to start your plot have relative bearing and range already figured out). Start the stopwatch to time the target for a specific amount of time, then take a second range and relative bearing to the map to mark this new found position. Measure the distance between point A and point B and using the Nomograph, have the time elapsed, with the distance traveled tell you what speed the target is traveling. I know there are other ways guys figure speed, this is just my way. May not be the best, but it works for me.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #43
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
@ I'm goin' down.

Please believe me, I'm not doubting you about the "Lock" at night situation. Since I'm not at home to check, I can't confirm or deny the issue. I just know RFB had a problem with it, and I came up with a fix for it, way back when. So I'm not happy to learn I may have overstepped my bounds by putting the same issue into my attempt to change the way the game visually detects things. To give myself the same advice I gave LukeFF "Don't try to fix something if it isn't really, really broke". :yep

Finding speed without map contacts.

How I've always gotten speed from plotting on the navigation map (with contacts off) is spelled out in an old tutorial of mine called "High Realism Tutorial" found HERE. I probably need to update the thing, but the main idea is to transfer the data you attain from the scope readings unto the navigation map. You take the relative bearing of the target and on the navigation map mark with a straight line this bearing (using the protractor tool). You now have the starting bearing of the target compared to the sub drawn on the map. It's along this bearing line (somewhere) the target is positioned. You need to find the targets range along this bearing line to mark its present position (lets call this point A). You need to find the target range and put it on the map at the same time (not easy to do, but before you go to the navigation map to start your plot have relative bearing and range already figured out). Start the stopwatch to time the target for a specific amount of time, then take a second range and relative bearing to the map to mark this new found position. Measure the distance between point A and point B and using the Nomograph, have the time elapsed, with the distance traveled tell you what speed the target is traveling. I know there are other ways guys figure speed, this is just my way. May not be the best, but it works for me.
First, don't take my word for it on the night time scope locking issue. (You want to hear something funny. The very first time I tried the mod, which was also at night, I could not see the target. WTF, I thought. It turns out that I was looking directly at the target the entire time, but its profile, due to full magnification, was so large that it covered the entire view! Since it was the first time I had used the scope and was a nightime periscope view, I did not realize that I was looking at it Meanwhile it was rapidly approaching a bearing of 10 degrees, so I realized I did not have time to apply OTC. I chalked it up to experience, set up an O'Kane shot at the last minute and sank it.)

Second, my apologies. I once read and even printed your High Realism Tutorial. I tried it a couple of times. Then I simply forgot about it. Time to reprint it.

By the way, I am thinking a good way to practice with the OTC is to load the Dick O'Kane trainng mission, which can be downloaded and activated via JGSME. The mission takes place off the coast of southern California. The target is a large tanker. The mission weather is clear, the target is large, and there is ample time to practice the procedure. The tanker's length most likelys exceeds 200 feet, so it will likely involve applying the OTC procedures for measuring the length and Aob of a target of that size. If you screw up the OTC, simply replay the mission. (I have a copy of the mission, but do not know (or want to know) how to post it. Rockin Robbins designed it and I obtained it from him. I could try to email it to you if you want to use it. It depends if the jzip attachment is too large for my email program.)
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #44
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default success against a fishing boat

I decided to give OTC a practice run on a fishing boat. It moved so slowly I could pause the game during the attack planninng and refer to the tutorial, and pause it again when the calculations did not match my Nav Map determinations of Aob and Range. I had some problems following the directions, and my Aob and Range ended up being slightly off. The problems will resolve with practice. Also, I guesstimated the fishing boat's speed at 5 kts. The first two torpedoes were fired at a bearing of 50+ degrees and missed just a few meters aft the target. I waited until it closed to a bearing of 15 degrees. I adjusted the target's speed to 4 kts., because its started zig zaging. Range was never adjusted and remained off by a hundred yds or so per the Attack Map. Aob was never adjusted, and but for the zig zaging target, appeared accurate. I fired two more torpedoes set for shallow running. The first hit the fishing boat which lifted off the ocean surface with a splash and disappeared. No explosion, so I think I blew it away. I count it a hit!!

I need more practice of course, but OTC definitely works. Fishing boats, although slow (only 124 feet in length) are not that easy to hit at steep angles as they do not present a large aspect ration at 1,800 yds, which is the range the first two shots. The second salvo was closer to 1,000 yds and the fishing boat presented a larger aspect ratio. For some reason I could not turn the range dial, but I forgot to look at the directions re operating it. I set range manually on the Attack Dials using the range determined by the OTC. I did not use the Stadimeter tool to line up the ship's mast with the keel of the shadow target to set range.

The mod looks quite functional.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #45
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Mod conflict?

It appears when the Easy Aob mod and OTC mods are activated you are unable to move the OTC range dial. I noticed this issue, so I deactivate the Easy Aob mod and the range dial for OTC works; however, you lose the advantage of the Easy Aob mod. I will fiddle with the order of the mods, but I think that is what happens.