SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Mods and files for every subsim!

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Fleet Boat Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Notify command we have entered the Grass Sea
Posts: 2,976
Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default

And I stayed up all night reading about the omnimeter! "So, what the problem?", you say?. I play TMO/RSRDC!!!
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack
 
AVGWarhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a 1954 Buick.
Posts: 26,213
Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0


Default

This is a wonderful addition!
__________________
“You're painfully alive in a drugged and dying culture.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 704
Downloads: 231
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
To help answer some of the posts, this mod should not be considered compatible with any other mod. I have made many changes to the stock game files; so has RFB, GFO, TMO or most others. I learned a long time ago trying to make specific versions of a compatible mod for "Super Mods" (that change as often as one changes their socks) is not hardly worth it to me. Every time they make a change in their mod, I've got to keep up? No thanks. Been there, done that.

The fact is there are file changes that relate to other files, which relate to others, and so on. Changing one aspect can throw off a whole group of others. For instance, I know some of the environment type mods (those that simply change the color of the ocean and other effects) get into changing the Camera.dat file to suit their needs. Of course, so does Optical Targeting Correction. One is going to overlap the other depending on which one gets loaded through JSGME last. That's not a good thing to do for either mod.

I will tell you, I'm really well along in making OTC compatible with Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign version 550 (that's its version for a stock game). I have every intention to make OTC compatible with a mod that offers the kind of mission package RSRDC provides.

===============

There was a question about SCAF?

The OTC mod should be considered a replacement for the Stock version of Ship Centered, Accuracy Fix. The benefits of having a corrected "height reference point" (no matter where this point is located on a target) is included in OTC. With the added accurate measurement of the targets length to the Recognition Manual. I'll admit I've moved the height reference point back to the mast tops for most ships (except for the merchants). Does the measurements mean you can't miss with manual targeting? Not at all, there are still plenty of ways to incorrectly input data for a missed firing solution. It does mean its up to you to use the tools at your disposal to "lessen" the chance of an inaccurate firing solution. I've just never believed incorrect measurements should play a part in simulating real life events. In real life if a measurement was found wrong it would have been corrected.

===============

To answer the question will you just make a stripped down version of OTC so certain parts can work with other mods?

No.

Why go through the trouble of having an Omnimeter placed in the game if you don't fix the optical view? Why fix the optical view if the measurements used in game aren't correct? Why bother to have a Range Dial when you can't get a reasonably accurate manually found range of a target due to not having the corrections above? As I pointed out, one thing leads to another. By the time you get things all put together you have no small mod. It's going to have many files that will overwrite the mods you want to have it work with. At this time you either make a commitment to keep up with whatever changes someone else makes just to make your mod compatible with it, or say no thanks. It is what it is.

Thanks for your work on this regardless.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Notify command we have entered the Grass Sea
Posts: 2,976
Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default

My wife said I was muttering in my sleep, the few hours that I managed, about some guy called Omni Meter! She asked if he was Greek. I said, "That's close, dear."
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack
 
AVGWarhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a 1954 Buick.
Posts: 26,213
Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
My wife said I was muttering in my sleep, the few hours that I managed, about some guy called Omni Meter! She asked if he was Greek. I said, "That's close, dear."

__________________
“You're painfully alive in a drugged and dying culture.”
― Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Sledgehammer427
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Drinking coffee and staring at buildings in Connecticut
Posts: 2,858
Downloads: 187
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
To help answer some of the posts, this mod should not be considered compatible with any other mod. I have made many changes to the stock game files; so has RFB, GFO, TMO or most others. I learned a long time ago trying to make specific versions of a compatible mod for "Super Mods" (that change as often as one changes their socks) is not hardly worth it to me. Every time they make a change in their mod, I've got to keep up? No thanks. Been there, done that.

The fact is there are file changes that relate to other files, which relate to others, and so on. Changing one aspect can throw off a whole group of others. For instance, I know some of the environment type mods (those that simply change the color of the ocean and other effects) get into changing the Camera.dat file to suit their needs. Of course, so does Optical Targeting Correction. One is going to overlap the other depending on which one gets loaded through JSGME last. That's not a good thing to do for either mod.
yup, I've been down this road before. I understand where you're coming from.

Quote:
I will tell you, I'm really well along in making OTC compatible with Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign version 550 (that's its version for a stock game). I have every intention to make OTC compatible with a mod that offers the kind of mission package RSRDC provides.
Well, since RCRDC is really the same mod, just tweaked here and there to work with other supermods, or in your case, the stock game.
Having a version of the OTC mod molded to work with RCRDC would be much better than trying to modify it from it's stock counterpart.

Capn, I tried this mod on a stock install I keep around for situations like this, and its incredible...mind blowing, you might say.

thank you for all your hard work, I know things like this don't happen overnight
__________________
[IMG]Singature in progress[/IMG]
Cold Waters Voice Crew - Fire Control Officer
XO-Surface Warfare Super-Mod (In-hiatus)
Download SH427's SH4 mods here
Download SH427's SH3 skins here
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team
 
Hitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spain
Posts: 6,156
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 2


Default

Great that you finished it
__________________
One day I will return to sea ...
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #23
Fish40
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Yonkers, NY U.S.A.
Posts: 1,504
Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm hopeing somewhere down the line a RFB + RSRD version becomes available! This is something I'd like to try!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Notify command we have entered the Grass Sea
Posts: 2,976
Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Fish 40

Get in line. TMO first!!!

I am going to try it using the stock game. I tried the mod on TMO and had problems. Once I opened the radio, the game crashed. If I play stock, which I have not done in years, what mods, other than supermods, improve the quality of the game. GFO? That seems to have a lot of fixes.
Any mods increase the AI of dds?

Neal needs to hire a mod tweaker specialist who can take terrific mods like RSRDC (I think lurker has left the site) and this one and adapt/update them to the the supermods they were not designed for. Be that as it may, this mod is so impressive I have to try it out. At the end of the day, the more tonnage in my pocket, especially at longer ranges, rules supreme in my book.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 704
Downloads: 231
Uploads: 0
Default

As soon as I'm done with my current TMO RSRDC campaign or patrol I'm going to try this with GFO. Failing that, I'm going to find a mod (suggestions welcome) that just make the AI escorts harder and add that with a few of my personal tweaks like sound mods.

Are we certain that OTC interferes with RSRDC? Does RSRDC add extra ships?
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #26
Wilcke
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,442
Downloads: 207
Uploads: 0
Default

Well done! Thanks!
__________________
Wilcke


For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 704
Downloads: 231
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Get in line. TMO first!!!

I am going to try it using the stock game. I tried the mod on TMO and had problems. Once I opened the radio, the game crashed. If I play stock, which I have not done in years, what mods, other than supermods, improve the quality of the game. GFO?
I just activated GFO via jgsme and then activated OTC after it. It didn't show any conflicting/overwritten files. Would this mean it's compatible?

As far as increasing the AI of DDs I'm going to try enabling TMO's "Easier AI fix" over the top of both. It's a small fix Ducimus made because some said that the AI of TMO's DDs was too difficult. The easier AI fix puts their detection capabilities somewhere between stock and full on TMO. ANyone know if doing this would cause problems?
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #28
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Notify command we have entered the Grass Sea
Posts: 2,976
Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Capn Scurvy

I just spent over an hour slowly reading through your tutorial on the OTC mod. I skipped the sections dealing with metric measurements, as they were too much data for me handle at one sitting plus I use Imperial measurements. Besides the brilliance embodied in the mod, the tutorial is outstanding. It is extremely well illustrated. Its explanations are short, concise, and easy to follow. I had some difficulty counting the telemeter marks on the height and length examples until i realized you were counting the medium size telemeter marks and not the small ones, but that was it. I appreciate your explanation of the "yellow auto targeting arrow" as initially I though it was part of the mod. Also, the screen shots of the TDC and Attack dials verifying your mod calculatoins really drove home the fact that this mod works.

I plan on playing several missions with the tutorial printed and on my desk top for reference to get the hang of it. Also, I have to figure out how to mod a stock game, which I have not played in years, so I am challenged. I look forward to enjoying the experience using your mod.

Congratulations on a superb piece of work.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-10-2011 at 06:20 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Notify command we have entered the Grass Sea
Posts: 2,976
Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
I just activated GFO via jgsme and then activated OTC after it. It didn't show any conflicting/overwritten files. Would this mean it's compatible?

As far as increasing the AI of DDs I'm going to try enabling TMO's "Easier AI fix" over the top of both. It's a small fix Ducimus made because some said that the AI of TMO's DDs was too difficult. The easier AI fix puts their detection capabilities somewhere between stock and full on TMO. ANyone know if doing this would cause problems?
I am no mod expert. However, my hunch is that if activating OTC did not overwirte any GFO files you might be in business.

I like the harder AI in TMO. It keeps me on my toes and I think carefully on how and where to attack. However, if Easier AI works in stock and does not affect OTC it is something I will look into. As for GFO, I have never used it. I will check it out as Webster puts out decent stuff.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 704
Downloads: 231
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I am no mod expert. However, my hunch is that if activating OTC did not overwirte any GFO files you might be in business.

I like the harder AI in TMO. It keeps me on my toes and I think carefully on how and where to attack. However, if Easier AI works in stock and does not affect OTC it is something I will look into. As for GFO, I have never used it. I will check it out as Webster puts out decent stuff.
GFO does seem to work with no problems. After reading through the changelog I realized that GFO also includes a change to escort behavior (i.e. making them better). I would recommend enabling GFO and OTC over the top.

EDIT: I normally play TMO and RSRDC. After testing with GFO there are a few things I definitely miss (besides the entire RSRDC mod). They include the bearing plotter, black dots for ships on the nav map, smaller map tools and the nomograph. I'm currently trying to get these into GFO in my own version of a patch. Just FYI.

Last edited by Dignan; 03-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997- 2017 Subsim