SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-12, 04:16 AM   #3016
artao
Officer

Downloads: 144
Uploads: 0

Holy. Freakin. WOW.
(those are tears of joy)
Truly incredible. All these years, and SH3 is still being pushed, and pushed, and pushed. You modders are astounding. How you are able to dig thru all these files and figure out how to alter them is beyond me.
BUT THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!
I really wish I could help somehow. I've done 3D for about 15 years now, and I can model and texture, but I have no experience working with game engines.
Hans, re: smoothgroups .. you must be using Max? I haven't used Max since v2.5, but I remember when I discovered smoothgroups I almost crapped myself. And seriously man, KUDOS on your UV unwrapping skills. Those are some seriously efficient UV layouts. That musta been one HELLUVA nightmare. Tedious to say the least, i'm sure. The examples of stock SH3 UV maps you put in your video? BARF. What a mess. I can't believe people actually worked with those (I mean, did I actually see overlapping faces in the stock layout? yikes)
These days I use Blender pretty exclusively. Haven't touched a commercial 3D app in years. =D .. You are TOTALLY right about texture usage being the gfx killer instead of polys these days. Yikes. (hopefully this week I'll get to put in my GTX560 Ti 1Gig card)
I'll get an account set up over at the HAHD website. I've got some time on my hands. Mayhaps it's about time I got my hands dirty with greasy game guts. I'm intimidated by what I see tho.
Again, just WOWOWOW!!!
I truly look forward to U-boat HAHD. It'll get me into a Type II again for certain.

artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 07:03 AM   #3017
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
... i will make a tutorial showing how to use them correctly with S3d editor because there is a little work around before they show up properly in game.

What do you mean?

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 02:21 PM   #3018
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
Holy. Freakin. WOW.
(those are tears of joy)
Truly incredible. All these years, and SH3 is still being pushed, and pushed, and pushed. You modders are astounding. How you are able to dig thru all these files and figure out how to alter them is beyond me.
BUT THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!
I really wish I could help somehow. I've done 3D for about 15 years now, and I can model and texture, but I have no experience working with game engines.
Hans, re: smoothgroups .. you must be using Max? I haven't used Max since v2.5, but I remember when I discovered smoothgroups I almost crapped myself. And seriously man, KUDOS on your UV unwrapping skills. Those are some seriously efficient UV layouts. That musta been one HELLUVA nightmare. Tedious to say the least, i'm sure. The examples of stock SH3 UV maps you put in your video? BARF. What a mess. I can't believe people actually worked with those (I mean, did I actually see overlapping faces in the stock layout? yikes)
These days I use Blender pretty exclusively. Haven't touched a commercial 3D app in years. =D .. You are TOTALLY right about texture usage being the gfx killer instead of polys these days. Yikes. (hopefully this week I'll get to put in my GTX560 Ti 1Gig card)
I'll get an account set up over at the HAHD website. I've got some time on my hands. Mayhaps it's about time I got my hands dirty with greasy game guts. I'm intimidated by what I see tho.
Again, just WOWOWOW!!!
I truly look forward to U-boat HAHD. It'll get me into a Type II again for certain.
Hi mate,

Welcome aboard and yes SH3 was a winner at the very first place and yet nothing can beat it until a new title is out and take the crown.

It may look difficult to play with those files but after a couple days you see the logic behind the code, when i begun this mod i was overwhelm at everything but as soon as i had my first success thing got very exciting and i must admit that you can become addict very quick, if you have a wife or girlfriend stay aways from it!
Yes i use max since the DOS version and i teach 3D animation in college for the last 7 years i know i am getting old, i also use Blender since modeling is so much good that i find it even better then paid software.

If you have some spare time then consider joining the team effort because the whole battle ships and merchant shipping need to be done.

As for a campaign in typII what i truly love is that there is no place for mistake and port raiding is always exciting because you never know in advance the juicy tonnage you can find there.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 02:23 PM   #3019
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post

What do you mean?
Hi Alex,

I will explain this soon with all the details.

Best regards Hans

Old 07-09-12, 06:05 PM   #3020
artao
Officer

AHA!! you use Blender eh?
Wondering if that's what you used for the UV layouts? I thought that looked like a bit Blender-ish UV layout. Reputedly some of the best UV tools in the field. And I agree completely with Blender's modelling tools, especially now that Bmesh is in there.
I'll try man, but I make no gurantees. I would LOVE to get involved, but not really sure how useful I'd be considering my almost non-existent experience with modeling for game engines. Worth a shot tho =D

EDIT: ahhhh 3D Studio DOS ... i recall it fondly. my first "serious" 3D app. so incredible at the time. =]

EDIT EDIT: no wife or GF, just a couple cats LOLZ ... and i got my 6 inch PCI-e 16x extender cable today .. now to see if THAT will allow me to fit my GTX560 Ti into this Dell machine ... I've had the card for 2 months now, but have been unable to use it due to Dell's crappy motherboard design. very frustrating, to say the least. i've never before spent 200 bucks on a video card.
The hardware rendering speed in Cycles should be WELL worth it tho =D

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
OK. Seems we have (counting) about 5 months to speculate on these "previously thought impossible" new features for SH3.
I'll start: um ... PLEASE tell me you've been able to correct the night sky. Stars with correct colors, plus deep sky objects. That would be gorgeous!!
or .. maybe you've been able to make the draggable chrono click-startable on every screen?
or .. maybe you've figured out how to implement thermal layers?
or .. maybe you've figured out how to give the player control of the dive planes, and or "angle on the bubble"?
heh heh
that's all for now =]

Last edited by artao; 07-09-12 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 04:50 PM   #3021
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
AHA!! you use Blender eh?
Wondering if that's what you used for the UV layouts? I thought that looked like a bit Blender-ish UV layout. Reputedly some of the best UV tools in the field. And I agree completely with Blender's modelling tools, especially now that Bmesh is in there.
I'll try man, but I make no gurantees. I would LOVE to get involved, but not really sure how useful I'd be considering my almost non-existent experience with modeling for game engines. Worth a shot tho =D

EDIT: ahhhh 3D Studio DOS ... i recall it fondly. my first "serious" 3D app. so incredible at the time. =]

EDIT EDIT: no wife or GF, just a couple cats LOLZ ... and i got my 6 inch PCI-e 16x extender cable today .. now to see if THAT will allow me to fit my GTX560 Ti into this Dell machine ... I've had the card for 2 months now, but have been unable to use it due to Dell's crappy motherboard design. very frustrating, to say the least. i've never before spent 200 bucks on a video card.
The hardware rendering speed in Cycles should be WELL worth it tho =D

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
OK. Seems we have (counting) about 5 months to speculate on these "previously thought impossible" new features for SH3.
I'll start: um ... PLEASE tell me you've been able to correct the night sky. Stars with correct colors, plus deep sky objects. That would be gorgeous!!
or .. maybe you've been able to make the draggable chrono click-startable on every screen?
or .. maybe you've figured out how to implement thermal layers?
or .. maybe you've figured out how to give the player control of the dive planes, and or "angle on the bubble"?
heh heh
that's all for now =]
Hi mate,

I use both for various purpose the fastest tools are the one i use to get the job done!

Modeling for real time rendering is not that difficult and there is ton of tutorials all over the net just do a couple and you will get it fast enough.

For the sky we have mod part of it but some part are hard coded like the stars.

draggable chrono click-startable on every screen? Reaper have done it i think just ask him he is the guy on this with Makman.

Thermal layers forget about it but i will have a serious discussion with the programmers for the new simulator to have them implemented.

Nothing was done on dive planes so far and i didn't look at it yet.

Best regards Hans

Old 07-11-12, 06:08 PM   #3022
artao
Officer

Cool!
Thanks for the response!! Really I was just wildly speculating :P
Being able to start-stop the chrono on any screen has been done? O.o AWESOME!!!
No surprise about the stars. I expected as much. Same with Thermal layers and dive planes / dive angle. .. bringing those up for a new game would indeed be really really nice thx.
I'll try to put some work into low poly modeling. I've got S3D now, to work on my mod soup, so I guess I can make stuff and import it to SH3 ... but frankly my mod-soup is taking most of my time right now ..and once I get the soup done, I will of course want to do some patrolling ...
I really have always wanted to contribute somehow tho. I'll work on it. I understand the techniques of low-poly, texture conservative modeling .. just never done any of it. =]

Rock on yo!!

Old 07-13-12, 08:47 AM   #3023
artao
Officer

I just had a brain fart:
PLEASE tell me you're not the folks working on Silent Hunter Online. .. I rather doubt it, as I can't imagine anyone who frequents here or has worked on modding Ubisoft's games would endeavor to sign a contract with Ubisoft.

EDIT: wait, no! i remember now seeing a post FROM U-boat HAHD TO the SHO facebookie page .. relief

Last edited by artao; 07-13-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 01:12 AM   #3024
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
I just had a brain fart:
PLEASE tell me you're not the folks working on Silent Hunter Online. .. I rather doubt it, as I can't imagine anyone who frequents here or has worked on modding Ubisoft's games would endeavor to sign a contract with Ubisoft.

EDIT: wait, no! i remember now seeing a post FROM U-boat HAHD TO the SHO facebookie page .. relief
Hi mate,

No none of us work for Ubi and my goal is to take their crown on the best u-boat game ever made!
Best regards Hans

Old 07-14-12, 01:25 AM   #3025
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Default Update 88 mm

Hi shipmates,

I was lucky enough to have some spare time last night so i finish the 88mm and here are some detail about my choice in certain parts of the gun because the museum version was on a trawler they might have been some slight difference for a surface only mount versus a submerged one.

Here the cap we see on the elevation mechanism, the museum version diddn't have one because the cap was from thin metal so 60 years under water would have corroded the cap, here some pictures of it with original photo on side.

HAHD version

Here we have a very different release mechanism on the left side of the gun from the museum version :

HAHD version here with the most common type i observed on original pictures :

Next is the surface and submerged state of the 88mm in game:

Next submerged state:

And to finish here the accurate animation of the 88mm with a link to a movie showing it in detail :

First this is the Ubi animated version of the 88mm:

Here the HAHD version, notice the under recoil cylinder are extended to absorb the recoil and the breechblock is part of the barrel so it recoil with it:

From now on the 88 mm is going to the paintshop so stay tuned to see the result, and guess who is going to fire the first round with it? Yep me the lucky one.
Best regards Hans

Old 07-14-12, 01:50 AM   #3026
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

I don't know what to say.

Would saying 'Banana' be enough!?

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 07:20 AM   #3027
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341
Default The Deck Gun...

...that is realy cool stuff...keep up that great work...

Best Regards

DrJones
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 09:13 AM   #3028
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
From now on the 88 mm is going to the paintshop so stay tuned to see the result, and guess who is going to fire the first round with it? Yep me the lucky one.
Best regards Hans

Magnificent work, as always Hans. Watch out I may just smuggle myself aboard and have a go myself while your sleeping !
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 06:38 PM   #3029
artao
Officer

Stunning work man. MOST impressive. Wow.

and for the love of subsims!!! YES PLEASE take that "crown" away from Ubisoft. The only reason they have it really is 'cause no one else is doing it.

Old 07-14-12, 09:37 PM   #3030
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post

I don't know what to say.

Would saying 'Banana' be enough!?

Hi mate,

How about pineapple!