SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-11, 08:32 AM   #1
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default A question about crew efficiency and station efficiency

Heeloooo kaleuns of the Navy!!!

I wanted to know how efficiency is calculated for station efficiency, and for crew (shift efficiency). What I mean is, how are the numbers atop the compartment calculated, and index next to I, II and III shifts calculated. I think the index is by dividing the total efficiency of the active shift, over the number of people in the shift. Am I wrong?

Thanks
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 08:52 AM   #2
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

That is the $64,000.00 question. It has been (mostly) a mystery to me since I started playing this sim. I think I'll take the "sounds good to me" appraoch here. The thing here is, the crew's (of any given compartment) efficiency rating is affected by other factors such as Fatigue, Health, etc. I think their Experience levels as well as their ratings for a particular job will also affect their efficency in their assigned compartments, as does their rank. These are variables that are not constant and will change during the course of a patrol/career. Although a general understanding of the process seems to be accepted, I haven't (to my knowledge) seen anything to indicate that it's been definitely nailed-down.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate

Last edited by WernherVonTrapp; 01-08-11 at 09:08 AM.
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 11:17 AM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

We had a long discussion over this months ago, I'll see if I can find the thread.

It's rather long to explain again, considering it has lil effect if any on the game as long as you go by the other factors, morale, fatigue, health, ect..those are the numbers to watch.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:28 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Back a patrol or two ago I awarded one of my gunners a DSM and to my amazement his ability quickly went up to 126%. Was that because I used him or because of him receiving award? Don't know.

I have no clue how these numbers are calculated and just watch them change, once in a while I try to look for cause and effect but then I am easily distracted from that problem again by my patrol.

Each compartment shift/watch leader is said to influence his crews ability and the crewmen seem to like awards. I don't work them too hard and they do what I ask. - I'd like to see how it works if someone posts a useful link.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:39 PM   #5
Armistead
Rear Admiral

That happened because you activated him. You'll see the numbers go all over the place, if sleeping 0, on duty higher, BS they should max out depending on fatigue factors.

I studied these numbers for weeks trying to find a workable mathmatical formula. For the most part if the numbers held for the crew in each compartment, they would make more sense, but often they go all over the place. It appears the morale factors effect these numbers, but have no idea what the formulation Ubi uses to determine it.

For sure each compartment head gives bonus, as does what we call the XO. You move him everyones numbers suffer.

Problem is they appear to be hardcoded, so I can't find them in the files, maybe someone else would know, really not sure.
Old 01-08-11, 01:39 PM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
That happened because you activated him. You'll see the numbers go all over the place, if sleeping 0, on duty higher, BS they should max out depending on fatigue factors.
His 'Guns number' was in the upper 90's last patrol and now, on this new patrol, and after giving him the award because he earned it last patrol, looking at his profile, his 'Guns' ability is 126 - not activated or at BS. That's a big jump and I've never seen anything like that before. Oh well.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 12:17 AM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11
crew ability

I haven't played nearly as much as the old salts here, but I have to ask if it really matters? The sound operator can't hear anything, the gunners can't shoot worth a damn, the helmsmen won't steer the course I want. I've never seen a crewman with a morale that wasn't "normal". Wether the boat was sinking or having just sunk an enemy ship, it's still normal. Worst of all they don't warn you of a closing DD or being under shell fire until you're hit.

In short they seem like automatons.

I really think the devs should have detailed 10 or 12 key men, and given them meaningful abilities, and left the rest as "crew".

Armistead mentioned the XO. How do you know who is the XO?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 03:48 AM   #8
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

Quote:
I haven't played nearly as much as the old salts here, but I have to ask if it really matters?
Why of course sir! a happy crew, is a compliant crew, which forms a good boat
Quote:

The sound operator can't hear anything, the gunners can't shoot worth a damn, the helmsmen won't steer the course I want. I've never seen a crewman with a morale that wasn't "normal".
I think the German missions have morale changes, and I gotta tell you, the AA crew on my boat are monsters. They can shoot down 2 zeros bearing down on the boat at bearing 251 yet, they become injured so quickly. All there is, is that the watch can help you spot targets much further (tested and it works), other crew abilities help really the boat achieve alot. Just give them time.

Quote:
Whether the boat was sinking or having just sunk an enemy ship, it's still normal. Worst of all they don't warn you of a closing DD or being under shell fire until you're hit.
In this I disagree, they do. Believe it or not, a crew will tell you but often you can keep spamming TC since you'll miss these important notifications.

Quote:

Quoting Erich Topp "You must not show your deficiencies to the crew, always know the crew, their families, be the father of your crew"
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:58 AM   #9
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I haven't played nearly as much as the old salts here, but I have to ask if it really matters? The sound operator can't hear anything, the gunners can't shoot worth a damn, the helmsmen won't steer the course I want. I've never seen a crewman with a morale that wasn't "normal". Wether the boat was sinking or having just sunk an enemy ship, it's still normal. Worst of all they don't warn you of a closing DD or being under shell fire until you're hit.

I really think the devs should have detailed 10 or 12 key men, and given them meaningful abilities, and left the rest as "crew".

Actually TMO mod doe's all that you ask for. Crew morale can go all over the place, from shaken, broken, panicked to fanatical. Can't ever recall the helmsman not being able to steer, even in stock.

Early war you must be careful, you have old equipment in your boat and your crew is green, may not have radar yet...you go blasting along the enemy may see you before you see them. Not to mention shore guns may blast you if you get too close to shore.

The overall stock game is poor. Mods make this one of the best games ever played, you ain't gonna wanna fight DD's or planes on the surface anymore. DD's aren't wusses, will hunt you, ships much harder to sink, 100's of realism fixes, proper crew and equipment, ect... plus 100% better graphics.

This game has been heavily modded for a few years now. Many of the megamods have been updated so many times they're about now tweaked to perfection as much as code will allow.

Most refer to the XO as the top officer in the top row in the control room as he effects everyones ratings.
Old 01-17-11, 03:02 PM   #10
Vaux
Torpedoman

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post

While I'm convinced that my deck gun crew, despite having high numbers in the "Guns" category, couldn't hit a stationary aircraft carrier from 500 yards even if it was painted bright orange and loaded with magnets to attract the shells, I've never had a problem with my helmsman not keeping the course I've ordered. That goes for stock 1.5 as well as TMO 2.0.
Vaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:00 PM   #11
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaux View Post
While I'm convinced that my deck gun crew, despite having high numbers in the "Guns" category, couldn't hit a stationary aircraft carrier from 500 yards even if it was painted bright orange and loaded with magnets to attract the shells, I've never had a problem with my helmsman not keeping the course I've ordered. That goes for stock 1.5 as well as TMO 2.0.

I would never trust my crew with such a delicate, complicated task.

What I meant by not steering is this. If you decide to change course, say to 055 deg., and you click on the HUD compass dial, unless you are very good at it, you may be off 2 or even 3 degrees. If you keep trying (or get lucky), and the helmsman repeats "course 055", you must still wait for the rudder to reach 0, and check. More than once, I've found that they will then report 054 or 056 deg. Then you would need to manually adjust the course yourself and check again........ This is a lot of trouble in my opinion.
Even when they report 055 deg., this only means you are within half a degree. This has been a major irritant to me as I like to have an accurate plot before I shoot and also I was trying to use the celestial navigation mode of play, which puts a premium on accurate dead reckoning.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:20 PM   #12
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Do your homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
Heeloooo kaleuns of the Navy!!!

I wanted to know how efficiency is calculated for station efficiency, and for crew (shift efficiency). What I mean is, how are the numbers atop the compartment calculated, and index next to I, II and III shifts calculated. I think the index is by dividing the total efficiency of the active shift, over the number of people in the shift. Am I wrong?

Thanks
I started a thread a long time ago on this very subject. I am not going to search for it, but you can. It had useful information. (Armistead, solo is post happy. Let him do his homework.)
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote