SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > Subsim 3.0 R & D
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-10, 11:07 PM   #1
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0
Default Tapatalk, anyone?

As the heading suggests..........

How many people would be keen to have Tapatalk implemented in subsim?
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 01:32 AM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Can't say I would find it useful. Then again I avoid smart phones like the plague.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:33 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Can't say I would find it useful. Then again I avoid smart phones like the plague.
Cheers....my question was going to ask what it was

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:34 AM   #4
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Cheers....my question was going to ask what it was
Me too

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 07:31 PM   #5
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Me three
Old 09-10-10, 12:57 AM   #6
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

http://www.tapatalk.com/
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 01:02 AM   #7
The Third Man
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Me three

Four.
Old 09-10-10, 01:34 AM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
Well, that tells me what I need to know. Not even remotely interested.
Old 09-12-10, 04:28 AM   #9
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Yes, I'd find it very useful.

As an Android owner I do maybe 90% of my forum use on the go, and I already use the app with a few other forums. The interface is a lot better and faster compared to what a web browser delivers. The whole thing would also be entirely free to Neal, minus of course the work it takes to install and configure the plugin.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 09:17 PM   #10
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55

pfffffttttt. who needs an oer the top do t all cell phone anyway. the motto for tech is "how can we be more lazy and do less work". that motto needs to change. its how people get fat and boring. eventually no one is gonna have to get up ever again. who the hell needs all the features they put into phones anyway? wanna surf the internet? go get a laptop. the only thing a phone should do is let you communicate basically with people. like talking and maybe even texting. granted making things easier sometimes isnt bad, but technology is turning into like that movie Wall-e. sometimes doing it yourself is rewarding challenging and fun.

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:28 AM   #11
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
pfffffttttt. who needs an oer the top do t all cell phone anyway. the motto for tech is "how can we be more lazy and do less work". that motto needs to change. its how people get fat and boring. eventually no one is gonna have to get up ever again.
yeah right, because doing the same things on your laptop isn't just as lazy

Quote:
who the hell needs all the features they put into phones anyway?
Who the hell needs all the features they put into your computer?

Quote:
wanna surf the internet? go get a laptop.
Internet on your laptop isn't always available (e.g. when your in the train). Of course you can use a dongle, but for me it's a 1000 times faster to use my phone instead of booting up my laptop, starting up my dongle and have terribly low d/l speeds. My dongle costs €45 a month with a 1GB d/l limit and a 128kb d/l speed, while my phone internet subscription costs only €10 a month for the same speed and no d/l limit.

Quote:
the only thing a phone should do is let you communicate basically with people. like talking and maybe even texting.
And why shouldn't a phone be able to do more advanced stuff? Using your analogy, we should remove the keyboards from computers, as typing should be exclusive to typewriters

Quote:
granted making things easier sometimes isnt bad, but technology is turning into like that movie Wall-e.
Your problem being?

Quote:
sometimes doing it yourself is rewarding challenging and fun.
And using your phone to do the exact same things you would have otherwise done using a PC isn't "doing it yourself"?

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:38 AM   #12
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

And the Iphone will fix your punctuation too.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:44 AM   #13
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

I see no reason in carrying a laptop for simple internet use. The less devices the better. Instead of carrying a camera, a laptop, an mp3-player, a gps and a phone I carry just one 120 gram "phone" that does it all and then some. Not a bad tradeoff at all.

KISS

Last edited by Fincuan; 09-13-10 at 12:11 PM.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:54 PM   #14
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
yeah right, because doing the same things on your laptop isn't just as lazy

Who the hell needs all the features they put into your computer?

Internet on your laptop isn't always available (e.g. when your in the train). Of course you can use a dongle, but for me it's a 1000 times faster to use my phone instead of booting up my laptop, starting up my dongle and have terribly low d/l speeds. My dongle costs €45 a month with a 1GB d/l limit and a 128kb d/l speed, while my phone internet subscription costs only €10 a month for the same speed and no d/l limit.

And why shouldn't a phone be able to do more advanced stuff? Using your analogy, we should remove the keyboards from computers, as typing should be exclusive to typewriters

Your problem being?

And using your phone to do the exact same things you would have otherwise done using a PC isn't "doing it yourself"?
Way to incorrectly assess my statement. never once said computers are doing it yourself or that it doesnt qualify as being lazy or anything? what are you talking about???? your entire reply is bashing computers when i never said computers should be placed above and beyond cell phones. i simply said get a damn computer because you cant lug around a giant computer, can you? nor should you. people got along JUST FINE without Cellphones doing all it does now. JUST FINE. I get along JUST FINE without a cell phone, and im a college student. Theres rarely an event that JUST CANT WAIT for you to get to a computer. RARELY.

Besideswith the prices AND convenience, its not all a good thing. Too much convenience is a bad thing. causes people to get lazy and SO boring. Also causes dependency. If the sun sent an EMP burst, itd be the god dam apocalypse. People wouldnt be able to instantly reach their friend to have an unimportant conversation (if it can be called that, even) then Theyd go and shoot themselves. if they couldnt update their facebook status theyd riot in the dam streets. Thats because technology is TOO convenient. Technology much be done in moderation. who the hell needs a 150$ phone if they dont even use half the features. just buy another phone and save some money.

convenience in moderation is golden. People need to learn how to do things WITH and WITHOUT technology. but the WITHOUT part is being slowly whittled away from existence. and what happens when electronics stop working? the world will be back to the stone ages.

Its like Jenga. You need to build a structure that can stand AND have blocks taken out. If your tower falls completely after a single block is taken out, then your tower is weak and terrible. if your tower can stand with blocks taken out, youve got a structure worthy enough. if technology fails and you dont know how to work without it, your screwed. and thats why technology like computers and phones and whatever shouldnt be everything. Of course its good its there and it helps, but you cant go overboard.

I cant believe no one gets this but me. And IM the young one. Ahahahaha thats irony right there.

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:55 PM   #15
minispace
Watch

Downloads: 24

For what it's worth, here's another subsimmer that would appreciate tapatalk support!

/sent from his HTC G2
minispace is offline   Reply With Quote