SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-10, 02:10 PM   #1
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

[TEC] Diving/Surfacing commands needed

For the next version of my crew mod, I'm adding command based actions, so the crewmen will say things and perform actions based on the command the player issued. First up is the diving and surfacing commands.

Quote:
Dive
Surface
Change Depth - up or down not specified.
Periscope Depth - up or down not specified.
Crash Dive
Emergency Surface
Maintain Depth - not implemented, might be able to add.
I'd like the Chief is give ballast and hydroplane orders appropriate for the given command. These are the sound files I thought appropriate. I didn't find anything relating to vents, just tanks.
(english version)
Quote:
MC_CR_CHIEF_29 "blow all ballast"
MC_CR_CHIEF_45 "blow fore trim tank"
MC_CR_CHIEF_46 "flood aft trim tank"
MC_CR_CHIEF_47 "blow aft trim tank"
MC_CR_CHIEF_48 "flood aft trim tank"
MC_CR_CHIEF_49 "blow main ballast"
MC_CR_CHIEF_50 "flood main ballast tank"
MC_CR_CHIEF_51 "blow negative"
MC_CR_CHIEF_52 "flood negative tank"

MC_CR_CHIEF_53 "fore planes"
MC_CR_CHIEF_54 "degrees up"
MC_CR_CHIEF_55 "degrees down"
MC_CR_CHIEF_56 "aft planes"
MC_CR_CHIEF_57 "degrees up"
MC_CR_CHIEF_58 "degrees down"
MC_CR_CHIEF_123 "steady

single digit numbers 0 - 9
They can be strung together, so you can have "fore planes five degrees up", for instance.

I don't know if it'd be possible to have any triggers other than the initial command, so it's likely not possible to give additional orders when the specified depth is reached. Eventually, with python scripting it may be possible to pass more detailed info to the ai scripts.

So, what I need is the sequence of orders the Chief would give for each command, within the limitations of the available sound files.

example Dive:
"flood main ballast tank"
"fore planes eight degrees down"
"aft planes two degrees down"

*edit* this looks useful: https://uboatarchive.net/KTBNotesDiving.htm
Diving Procedure
The following tables were started from a description in the book Type VII U-boats, by Robert C. Stern, ISBN 1 86019 8554, 1998 edition. It is hoped to add to this description.
1. An electric bell gives the alarm.
2. The bridge watch prepares the bridge (close voice tube, demount portable machine guns, remove water-tight binoculars from UZO, remove radar detector aerial if necessary, etc.).
3. Simultaneously, vent valves for ballast tanks 5, 2/4, Quick diving tank (if empty) and 3 are opened in that order flooding from bow to stern to overcome the natural stern heaviness of the boat. If fuel is in ballast tanks 2 and 4, the main vent valve is opened with the inner vent valve remaining closed to equalize pressure in the ducts.
4. Simultaneously, the Petty Officer of the Watch goes below to his action station at the forward hydroplanes; the port quarter look-out follows to his action station in the conning tower with the Commanding Officer. The starboard quarter look-out goes below to the after hydroplanes. The Officer of the Watch is the last to go below. It is his duty to close the conning tower hatch. He then goes to his action station in the Control Room.
5. Simultaneously, close Supply and Exhaust air ventilation valves and any other openings in the pressure hull.
6. Planesmen position fore plane down and stern plane up. If it is a crash dive personnel not on watch might be ordered to move to the forward torpedo room to help get the bow under water. Initial angle of dive 4-7° to avoid propellers "racing".
7. Simultaneously, engine room personnel shut down and unclutch Diesel engines and shut the external air intake and exhaust valves.
8. Simultaneously, electric motor room personnel start electric motors
9. When the desired down angle is achieved (normally 12-15° but can go as high as 30 ° in a crash dive - at more than 40° acid may leak from battery cells) vent valve for ballast tank 1 is opened.
10. Simultaneously, the planes are brought to neutral position. Shut off Papenburg depth gauge at 18 meters and Precision depth gauge passing 20 meters.
11. Quick diving tank is blown just short of empty to avoid releasing bubbles. This should result in the boat being at slightly positive buoyancy because the Regulating/Compensating tank is adjusted and maintained to achieve that.
12. Once tanks are flooded, the valves are shut
13. When desired depth is approached forward dive planes were moved up and stern down to level the boat at desired depth.
14. Boat is maintained at depth dynamically by use of the dive planes.
15. Because air in the regulating tanks compressed with increasing depth the boat would grow heavier and the ballast pump or compressed air would be used to keep the boat at slightly positive buoyancy the opposite would occur if the boat moved to a shallower depth and water would be taken in.

Surfacing Procedure
1. Compressed air was blown into ballast tanks 5, 4, 3, 2, starting at the bow and working aft. Tanks were not blown completely but only enough to get the conning tower above water.
2. Simultaneously, forward dive planes to up and stern to down. Normal alteration of depth at a rate of 1-1/2 ft. per second
3. When the boat broke surface Diesels were started and electric motors were shut down.
4. Complete blowing of the ballast tanks was completed by Diesel engine exhaust, one tank at a time in Type VIIC at a pressure of .6 atmospheres or 8 1/2 lbs. sq. in.

Last edited by Heretic; 03-16-10 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more info
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 05:06 PM   #2
SteveTRM
Sailor man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

you can add some speech to your command.cfg file - so when you press a key it will play a sound.

I've only started messing with it but i now have the radio operator say "the boys will love hearing something from home (or words to that effect) when i select my Radio - there is also some speech for the gramaphone aswell which is cool.

Just adds a little more emersion factor.
SteveTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 06:51 PM   #3
PortoFerro
A-ganger

Downloads: 54

Wow, uboatarchive.net is an awesome site! Spent the whole evening reading rather than playing.
PortoFerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 07:17 PM   #4
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTRM View Post
you can add some speech to your command.cfg file - so when you press a key it will play a sound.

I've only started messing with it but i now have the radio operator say "the boys will love hearing something from home (or words to that effect) when i select my Radio - there is also some speech for the gramaphone aswell which is cool.

Just adds a little more emersion factor.
This is more involved than that. I'm going to play a whole sequence of orders and actions.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 09:27 PM   #5
thruster
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 0

Heretic wrote:
Quote:
This is more involved than that. I'm going to play a whole sequence of orders and actions.
this is the sort of stuff greatness is made of.
let there be beer!
thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 10:16 PM   #6
lorka42
Planesman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 5

That sounds pretty awesome, and gives me some added respect for the sub crews, thats a lot of simultaneity.
lorka42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 09:05 AM   #7
redcoat22
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Very excited to see this happen. I wish I could help.
redcoat22 is offline   Reply With Quote