SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 05:15 AM   #1
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Critical hits for deck gun

Tired about shooting 50 rounds of high explosive shells into a small merchant like its a soft gun? Falling asleep while you try to sink a large tanker with your 88mm gun?

This is now history!

Critical hits v1.1 enables critical hits on all enemy ships. Its pretty random, you could still shot 20 rounds into a merchant and allmost nothing happens but with some luck you will blow up the wohle ship with 1-2 hits making the wohle game alot more exciting.

Warning! This is not for you if you like 100% realism, because all enemys ship will likely blow up much faster than before. Larger ships are still harder to sink, it just makes using the deck gun much more rewarding. In stock SH 5, i allways use time compression + ai gunner to destroy merchant ships, because its just boring to watch and that isnt fun at all

The good thing is that you will see if you score a critical hit. No more 20 explosions while the hull is still at 90%. If you see a huge explosion than the ship will sink with high chances.

This applys to AP and HE shells. HE shells are around 40% more effective vs merchants than AP shells

Let me know how you like it, maybe i still need to change some values.

I made myself a savegame and sunk the merchant 8 times while i counted the number of shells needed to sink the small merchant:

The same with a large Tanker:

Install JSGME right in the SH 5 Folder than unpack this zip into the JSGME Mod Folder and enable it.

Have fun

Version 1.2: Lowered all Damage by 25%. A shot can now do up to 3 times the stock damage

Get it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8721542/Criticalhitsv1.2.zip
Link to my critical hits for torpedos mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163930

Last edited by Darkreaver1980; 04-18-11 at 06:42 AM.
Darkreaver1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:18 AM   #2
Michal788
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You make silent hunter 5 a real arcade game isnt?
Old 03-07-10, 09:07 AM   #3
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal788 View Post
You make silent hunter 5 a real arcade game isnt?
Dont think so, i find it way more realistic and playable with this mod than the stock SH 5. Its not fun to shot 40 rounds into a merchant ship and it just sails away.

Some people like it this way and some the other way
Old 03-07-10, 10:27 AM   #4
jlederer
Bosun

Downloads: 47
Default Thanks!

Compensates for ships totally on fire but apparently taking no damage.
jlederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:32 AM   #5
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlederer View Post
Compensates for ships totally on fire but apparently taking no damage.
yes thats true. I dont know why, but with this mod if a ship burns because of gunfire than it actualy burns down instead of just sailing away
Old 03-07-10, 12:53 PM   #6
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

I´ll try it, ´cause i´m sick of a 13knots sailing torch
Old 03-07-10, 04:21 PM   #7
Hell_Diver
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

okay i love this mod but it is sadly not usable for me.. what i have found out so far.. i sank a battleship with 8 shots of AP below the water line..... a battleship!

i sink most merchants below the water line in 7-4 shots..

i sink destroyers with about 1-3 shots of ap below the water line..

in your testing i think you need to consider the damage from shots above and below the waterline, because below the waterline hits are now like nukes exploding.. lol
Old 03-07-10, 04:31 PM   #8
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell_Diver View Post
okay i love this mod but it is sadly not usable for me.. what i have found out so far.. i sank a battleship with 8 shots of AP below the water line..... a battleship!

i sink most merchants below the water line in 7-4 shots..

i sink destroyers with about 1-3 shots of ap below the water line..

in your testing i think you need to consider the damage from shots above and below the waterline, because below the waterline hits are now like nukes exploding.. lol
thanks for the feedback. I also figured out that AP Damage is now all over the top. HE is fine so far. I will upload 1.1 with half AP damage values and less armor penetration and lower the HE damage just a bit. Look in the 1. post for a updated version.

i want to make the mod fun and at the same time it shouldnt feel like a arcade shooter

With this version i usualy need around 8-12 HE shells to destroy a small merchant ship and 5-12 hits with AP vs a destroyer, if you realy want to try it

Edit: New version is out
Old 03-07-10, 05:01 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The 'AP' shells used by smaller warships weren't truly Armor Piercing, but what the British called 'Common', or 'Semi-Armor Piercing'. They were designed to penetrate about half what a normal AP shell of the same size would do. The smallest true AP shells anybody made were for 6" (150mm) guns, and even those were rare in World War Two.

And more: an AP shell has more of its weight taken up by the armor-piercing cap, so it has a lot less powder than an SAP or HE shell. It should go through more armor but make a smaller bang. And of course a 3.46" (8.8cm) shell is not going to penetrate the armor on a light cruiser, much less a battleship.

I hope that helps some.
Old 03-07-10, 05:43 PM   #10
Wolfmanjack
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Oh hell yes thank you

Yes i am not a 100% realism fanatic like some. But it has always bothered me that torpedo damage and cannon damage were only shadows of themselves.

In reality 1 torpedo could sink any ship or even 1-2 shots from the cannon on deck could have also. In reality most ships in WW1 WW2 were all sunk by only 1-2 torpedo hits.

What i am saying is.. There was always a chance that a shot could get lucky (even a cannon shot) and blow a ship in 1 shot. Ie hitting stored munitions,fuel etc.

Thanks for this
Wolfmanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 09:48 AM   #11
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Version 1.1 is now much better. You cant sink a DD anymore with 3-4 shots + AP but its still possible to win a 1 vs 1 surface fight vs a DD, if he doesnt get that lucky

i think the HE damage vs merchants is fine now. They still can take some shots but you wont waste 20 + shells without doing anything
Old 03-08-10, 11:13 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I like the idea of mods that make things more fun, even though I am a reality freak. But I do have to take exception with the idea that it being easier is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmanjack View Post
In reality 1 torpedo could sink any ship or even 1-2 shots from the cannon on deck could have also. In reality most ships in WW1 WW2 were all sunk by only 1-2 torpedo hits.
Not even remotely true. Smaller ships could go down with one or two torpedoes, but the records are full of acount's of the "coup de gras", because the ship refused to sink.

Here is a tanker that took two torpedoes and eighty-seven rounds from the deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1964.html

Look through these lists. You will find that two or even three torpedoes was the norm, and nowhere will you find a ship blowing up from a lucky hit from a u-boat's deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php
Old 03-08-10, 03:39 PM   #13
Ziggy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 14

I like it. Still takes a lot of shots to take down a ship but you don't run out of ammo on just 2 ships.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 03:43 PM   #14
Darkreaver1980
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I like it. Still takes a lot of shots to take down a ship but you don't run out of ammo on just 2 ships.

Thanks, i dont want to have a shot em up game but i neither want to waste 30+ shells per ship. I think i found a good middle way.
Old 03-10-10, 08:54 AM   #15
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I like the idea of mods that make things more fun, even though I am a reality freak. But I do have to take exception with the idea that it being easier is reality.

Not even remotely true. Smaller ships could go down with one or two torpedoes, but the records are full of acount's of the "coup de gras", because the ship refused to sink.

Here is a tanker that took two torpedoes and eighty-seven rounds from the deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1964.html

Look through these lists. You will find that two or even three torpedoes was the norm, and nowhere will you find a ship blowing up from a lucky hit from a u-boat's deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php

Wasn't it so that 1 torp hit would normally be enought to get a ship out of the convoy and thus easy pickings for the sub? And later in war it was normal to fire at least 2 torps per ship. And end war to fire a complete spread at the target?
looney is offline   Reply With Quote