SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-09, 11:26 PM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default crew ratings

what does 34/50 (+20) signify on a crew members ratings? How about 30/20 (+11)? (I plugged in numbers for theses examples.)
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 12:15 AM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

That sir, is a very good question. One which I don't have the answer to, but would love to know as well.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 12:58 AM   #3
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

I'm pretty sure in the X/Y (+Z) scheme:

X is the amount of efficiency the current crew member is contributing toward the compartment.

Y is the total efficiency the current crew member could possibly contribute toward the compartment.

Z is how much of X is due to the leadership bonus from the compartment leader.

I think.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 01:12 AM   #4
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

There was a discussion on this not to long ago and the best I could tell is that nobody knows. Even more it dosen't seem to have much effect although I guess the numbers change, haven't really checked it out.

Edit Well apparently frederf knows and what he says sounds reasonable.

I think

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:48 AM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Frederf's opinion

Frederf's post is reasonable, but I have a problem with it passing the smell test. He sees it as a fairly complicated formula. Maybe it is, and he is correct. But if it not intended to be complicated, then I have my doubts. Let's see what this thread comes up with.

Also, I recall seeing a few sailor whose X rating exceeded the Y rating. (Maybe I think I observed it.) That would not seem to make sence under Frederf's explanation.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 02:33 AM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I'm pretty sure in the X/Y (+Z) scheme:

X is the amount of efficiency the current crew member is contributing toward the compartment.

Y is the total efficiency the current crew member could possibly contribute toward the compartment.

Z is how much of X is due to the leadership bonus from the compartment leader.

I think.
These numbers have driven me mad since I started trying to figure them out.

I think you have X correct in some fashion. This number goes high when on stations or BS. But Y still depends on Z or leadership. Still sometimes X can be higher than Y, but if on stations or BS Y and Z will still equal X...but not always....which causes a problem with the theory.

Also Strange, the Captain often has much lower numbers across the board than a 3rd class.

I find most the time moving the compartment head doesn't change the other crew ratings unless you remove the compartment head that is on duty. Simply if you remove a lighted officer rates change why moving an inactive officer doesn't change things or rates go up. All in all it seems the commander on duty..lighted up has the overall effect on others regardless of what shift. Something else strange. Take a shift that isn't on. You remove the Commander, the man in the first slot, the guy's Z rating next to him doesn't go down, but up, but remove the active commander on duty from a lighted spot that same guys Z number goe's down. Seems if you remove an inactive compartment head, the other men in that inactive compartments Z rating go up, as if they had to increase in ..something...to make up for the missing officer, but remove the on station officer they suffer.

I do think you have Z correct...sort of. If you remove the compartment leader that is on duty this number will go down for most the crew in any compartment. Also take the Skipper so to speak, if you remove him say into the deckgun, all the compartment officers Z rating will go down just a tad, why most the crew members all go way down...a reason to never move him. Still stranger a very few others go up, like since the Captain is not active they kick in higher. The other command leaders don't sway as much, so no doubt the first row man in the command dept is the Captain of the boat. Even at BS, it seems the leader that effects the crew was the one on stations before.

Not sure you have Y correct in this...Y factor for one man may be 60/30, with X being much higher than Y. However many times the Y factor makes up the difference like this...60/30(+30)....still sometimes the numbers don't match, they may read 60/30 (+22) or any amount, but almost always if you hit BS Y and Z will equal X for 90% of the crew. The same for active stations. For those not active X and Y both go down.

But in the end it's still maddness. Here's the problem, the more fatigue the numbers go all over the place with no pattern. I can get readings like 8/0/(+56), over time with fatigue the numbers loose all since of pattern.

You can take the same crew members, same rank, fatigue factor and the numbers go all over the place...often Y is 0 and the number could read..60/30 (+0), why the same man next to him read 60/20 (+30)..So all in all you can make sense of numbers with your formula's with most of the crew, but then again for many crew members they go all over the place with no pattern.

For sure the first number is how efficient they are at that time. They go active or on BS it goes high, they get fatigued the numbers go down, asleep, they go to 0. Dead, all 0.

However, I think I have found a pattern that I'm testing that has to do with each persons leadership points.....

Last edited by Armistead; 09-22-09 at 03:39 AM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 08:00 AM   #7
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Armistead wrote:
"Also Strange, the Captain often has much lower numbers across the board than a 3rd class."
I don't find this strange at all; it is what I would expect in real life (and also what I experienced in the military).
And the higher the rank, the worse the effect.
Armistead, thanks for the analysis.
Old 09-22-09, 10:19 AM   #8
DigitalAura
Straight and True

Downloads: 8

Z seems to be a 'modifier' from other people as stated. Note that it doesn't always have to be influenced by leadership... if you have a person with special abilities it can improve stats too.

... ALL YOUR BEACH ARE BELONG TO US! ...
DigitalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:30 PM   #9
Pacific_Ace
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post

Also, I recall seeing a few sailor whose X rating exceeded the Y rating. (Maybe I think I observed it.) That would not seem to make sence under Frederf's explanation.
I'm looking at one right now. He is an unrated member of the engine crew. He is on duty and I am not at BS currently. His numbers are 68/50 (+18). His leader is a CPO functioning at 86/86 efficiency. In fact I just check and the whole watch shift is functioning in similar manner.
Pacific_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:49 PM   #10
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Ace View Post
I'm looking at one right now. He is an unrated member of the engine crew. He is on duty and I am not at BS currently. His numbers are 68/50 (+18). His leader is a CPO functioning at 86/86 efficiency. In fact I just check and the whole watch shift is functioning in similar manner.

When a group is on station...active, usually there numbers will match...but not always. Obvious different fatigue factors send numbers all over the place. Same with BS, most the numbers will equal, but still a % of the crew the numbers go nuts with no real factors to make sense why they do.

I've got one guy on station right now reading 43/12 (+0), guy next to him on station reads 64/14(+50) both same rank, almost equal ratings and same fatigue factor.
Old 09-22-09, 01:51 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Armistead wrote:
"Also Strange, the Captain often has much lower numbers across the board than a 3rd class."
I don't find this strange at all; it is what I would expect in real life (and also what I experienced in the military).
And the higher the rank, the worse the effect.
Armistead, thanks for the analysis.
Dang....you're smart, never thought of that, but what else could it be.

Bet RR has the answer...where is he......

Last edited by Armistead; 09-22-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 03:13 PM   #12
DigitalAura
Straight and True

And yet, these numbers do very little to any aspect of the game and so go largely unnoticed by most players. Guess it's for good reason.
Here's hoping SH5 actually uses this lost opportunity.

... ALL YOUR BEACH ARE BELONG TO US! ...
DigitalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 04:52 PM   #13
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Ace View Post
I would guess that is the max rating without any leadership modifier.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 05:41 PM   #14
floundericiousWA
Medic

Downloads: 3

Could there be some formula where all their "Y" values add up to the "X" value for the compartment (I'll try it in game tonight, still at work )
floundericiousWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 06:00 PM   #15
Pacific_Ace
Bosun

By the way, Ive seen people talk about moving the Captain? There is no Captain to move. You are the captain and you are not represented among the crew that you see in crew management.
Pacific_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote