SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What version of SH4 do you have?
Orriginal SH4 (no U-Boot missions) 285 23.59%
SH4 + Uboot Missions addon 923 76.41%
Voters: 1208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-09, 05:04 PM   #1
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3
Default [REL] OhioSSBN mod for Silent Hunter IV

Ohio SSBN/SSGN for Silent Hunter IV
(beta 0.2)

===================================

pm me at www.subsim.com forums

This is the Ohio SSBN/SSGN for silent Hunter IV. It was designed and tested on an un-modified version of Silent Hunter IV v. 1.5 (with U-Boat missions). This mod will mess with some files that might be in use by other mods so it could function wrong along with other mods and with the stock submarines. My advice is to remove all mods and test it on a clean installation of SHIV. When you do not plan on using this sub, remove it with JSGME in order to prevent conflicts.

Installation
============
Install it with JSGME as you would do with any other sub presently available. Please read the notes of the last version in the "Changelog" below for useful info!

Uninstallation
==============
Use the remove mod feature from JSGME.

Changelog
=========

-=(v. beta 0.2)=-

- removed stock SD & SJ radar masts that were sticking out of the conning tower;
- added a modded universal extendable radar mast capable of detecting both air and surface contacts;
- added an unguided Tomahawk Anti-Ship missile (speed - 550 Knots, range - 80 Km)
- greatly improved water effects around the submarine;
- improved ADCAP capabilities; now it is based on the German Type XI torpedo; also the speed has been increased to 50 knots; max/min damage values have been decreased and also the splash damage range has been decreased;
- reworked 3d model and texturing of periscope masts;
- changed some of the loading screen artworks (actually all but one);
- (bonus!!!)added new intro movie replacing the stock intro;

Notes on v. beta 0.2:

- weapons are free, but start your career with some money, otherwise you can not re-equip with new weapons after removing some (bug!?);
- the new ADCAP torpedo is much more deadlier than the previous Cutie based version;
- the anti-ship missile is a modified torpedo - unguided; make sure there are no objects in the water between you and the target or the missile will detonate them - rescue rafts included; stock firing solution calculator is not working well with the new missile dynamics so try to use the missile against stationary targets or slow moving targets (there are no range limitations);left/right steering of the missile towards the target is not so great so try to face the target at angles not more than 60 degrees before launch; the missile will accelerate to full speed quite fast, but not instantaneously, so keep that in mind;set missile running depth as close to 0 m as possible (in the torpedo firing station)!!!!
- the sub is equipped by default with (2xADCAPs + 2xTASMs) in the launch tubes + full complement of 24 ADCAPs in the magazine;
- to extend the radar mast press "Shift" + "X"; press again to retract it; use it at periscope depth before surfacing
- this is still WIP so keep the feedback coming!

-=(v. beta 0.1)=-

-you can play campaigns with this sub.
-diving depth of the sub up to 450 m - max;
-torpedo launch depth up to 450 m - max;
-max speed 25 knots (surfaced or submerged);
-new periscope models differ from the stock SHIV;
-new torpedo 3D model (ADCAP);
-tweaked Cutie torpedo to better emulate ADCAP: increased damage value and splash, increased speed (45knots), range (20Km), maneouvrability; ADCAP is free and is available immediately (it is also the default load so you can immediately test it in quick missions);

Notes on V. beta 0.1:

-this sub will take ~3 minutes to dive for the first time; after that, quick maneouvres are possible (diving, surfacing, etc.);
-the sub is quite heavy and at the same time hydrodinamic so if you turn off your engine it will keep going for a couple of miles; if you want quick stop, use the reverse;
-radar antennaes are sticking out of the conning tower at all times, but as I understood this was the only way to make them work; however, I tried to conceal them as much as I could;
-the ADCAP torpedo is just a MOD; it will not function as the real deal, but you can create chaos in convoys from very long ranges; it will strike unaware targets from up to 10Km.

Credits (Updated)
=======
This model relies heavily on the "688i" by Dagon and on the "Le Terrible" by X Petit. So credit for meddling with SHIV and locating the "what" and "where" goes to their efforts and to those who helped them. The new radar mast know-how is taken from the extendable SD antenna mod of Anvart- credits to him. Credit goes also to Keltos01 for constructive interaction and ideas on the modding of torpedos into missiles. The new intro is the wonderful work of Roger_Becker - many thanks for making the movie and for allowing me to add it to this mod. I would like to thank the enthusiastic community at the subsim forums (and not only) for sharing their knowledge and helping me here and there to make things right (as much as I could do) and also for their constructive feedback. Ohio 3d model and texturing by me. Plenty of tweaks by me (if I remember them all and have time, they will be in v. 1.0 readme). Artwork of loading screens by me.

Special thanks to skwas, the Olympian creator of "Silent 3ditor". There are many uncertain things in this world, but one is certain. This mod would have not appeared without this tool.

Terms of use
============
This mod is unofficial and provided as is. The mod is cost-free to download and use. Anyone may use or modify this mod or parts of it for personal, non-public purposes/projects only. For any non-personal or public use please contact me to obtain permission. Anyone downloading and using this mod or parts of it must not obtain any kind of material benefits from it, or any other kind of benefit that can be converted, equated or assimilated to material benefits. Use of this mod or parts of it for any commercial purposes/projects is not allowed under any circumstances.
Hosting or re-posting this mod or parts of it on another web-page/site other than http://www.subsim.com/ is not allowed.
Downloading and using this mod is done at your own risk as I take no responsibility if it causes any damages.
!These terms of use override the terms of use in the readme file included in the mod package!

Have fun!

Download mod HERE AT SUBSIM/Downloads!!!

-=Additional download=-
Thyro's water effects(please test):
http://www.ribeiros.co.uk/subs/ - for the OhioSSBN download the Ohio features

Edit: updated terms of use

Last edited by tomagabriel; 05-05-15 at 09:50 AM.
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 06:52 PM   #2
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

DLing now! can't wait to try out the beginnings of the Cold War mod. I'll love this, if only for the fun factor.

The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 05:19 PM   #3
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

the sub (rocks!!!)

Excellent work!

the only thing that is missing from all subs on SH4 is the foam on the each side like the following pictures.

Could the current tiny foam be extended to the rest of the sub? (in considerable volume)

(btw Ohio picture)

Cheers

Last edited by thyro; 02-27-09 at 05:30 PM.
thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 06:24 PM   #4
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119

Ah, I also have a small complaint. Two actually

1. Ohio is silent as it should be, DDs can't detect me running flank under them. But I can't hear them any better than a WWII sub-any chance of extending this to more realistic ranges (I doubt any civilian knows the real range of the ohio though)

2. Torpedoes are almost identical to the Cutie-as in, the target has to be right in front of them and running flat out to hear it, ADCAPS should be much more sensitive. Perhaps you could use the statistics for the final German homing torpedo in its place.

Still awesome to drive one of these behemoths...Next: Typhoon please!
The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 06:39 PM   #5
{1.SS}Eberhardt
Maschinist

Downloads: 3

Excellent work, I love being able to demolish a whole convoy without getting hurt at all!
I sank 24 ships in one mission, a LOT of fun
I noticed how when youre being tailgated by an enemy target and you fire an ADCAP at it, if youre not running silent it will turn around and come at you. It wont dive to hit you, but will continue on its course in a straight line after passing over you.

Two questions:

1. Will we eventually be able to fire missiles?

2. Can targets be plotted out on the map and selected to fire at while completely submerged (i.e. no periscope)? Like through sonar?

Thanks again!
{1.SS}Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 06:40 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 05:02 PM   #7
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

I'm going to re-install SH4 just because of this mod.

Looks very promising.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 03-01-09 at 11:50 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 07:33 AM   #8
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishlord

...Next: Typhoon please!

Check the bottom of this page. You will find the Typhoon you seek already available. Along with the download link
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/xavier.petit/
Old 03-01-09, 11:22 AM   #9
Marka Ragnos
Weps

Downloads: 184

Thank you for this awesome mod!
Old 03-01-09, 12:00 PM   #10
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomagabriel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishlord

...Next: Typhoon please!
Check the bottom of this page. You will find the Typhoon you seek already available. Along with the download link
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/xavier.petit/
Xavier's subs are also good... but that is a hybrid since was based on the movie

I'm also looking for a "real" typhoon... without that "balloon" hanging on the tail

The movie's hybrid tried to have a body of a typhoon (I guess at time of the movie they didn't have much details on the sub because the movie's is more linear and less round) with a odd stuff hanging on its tail that belongs to an akula.

typhoon's picture

and now Akula sub pictures (look at its tail)

BTW this link might be useful...
http://www.heiszwolf.com/subs/plans/plans.html

Cheers
thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 11:50 PM   #11
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Love the new ADCAP torpedoes! Very accurate and packs quite a punch! It breaks a ship in half nine times out of ten.

Just a few problems though, I installed it, and the sail is missing. I can see the planes, but not the sail. Also, the periscope does not work and I cannot go on the sail bridge.

I downloaded it from both available links. Installed it manually and with the JSGME tool.

Does anybody else have these same errors?

Also, the propellers look kinda awkward to me.
Old 03-02-09, 02:32 AM   #12
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Uh I dont really read French but that says right there on the site that the Typhoon is based on the one in the Hunt For the Red October so the guy knew he was doing that not the real typhoon class. Wht dont they make the Akula and the LA class subs seeing as that they are attack subs theyd be more fun i think.And movies are made by hollywood they never know anything I have a book printed in 1986 (Red October came out in 89 or 90 I think) and it has photos and a profile painting of a Typhoon so it was known what it looked like before the movie was made also dont forget that the Typhoon class in the movie/book was modified from a typhoon it had extra stuff in the story so they took some creative license.The "ballon" on the Akula houses some of the sonar equipment by the way.

@ fishlord you are right any person who knows what the sonar abiliteis(or anything else of them that is classified) of an Ohio class was in the navy on one or worked on them. My good friends dad served on the old Benjamin Franklin SSBNs that the Ohios replaced many years ago we used to ask him things for fun his answer;"If I told you two Id have to kill you or turn myslef in for telling you and wed all be in prison for life and I dont like either of those options."

Last edited by Stealhead; 03-02-09 at 02:51 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 02:39 AM   #13
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai
Love the new ADCAP torpedoes! Very accurate and packs quite a punch! It breaks a ship in half nine times out of ten.

Just a few problems though, I installed it, and the sail is missing. I can see the planes, but not the sail. Also, the periscope does not work and I cannot go on the sail bridge.

I downloaded it from both available links. Installed it manually and with the JSGME tool.

Does anybody else have these same errors?

Also, the propellers look kinda awkward to me.
Hi,

I am not exactly sure what is causing this problem (the sail/periscope problem). However, cosidering that it is working for others, well it should work for you too, so my question is: are you/ have you been using other mods prior to installing this mod? If so, it is very likely it will not work, because it changes some stock models and settings. I used SH4+Uboot missions+mod (nothing else).

Concerning the propellers I did not understand exactly what the problem was, maybe you could go a bit into details.

Regards!
Old 03-02-09, 03:35 AM   #14
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomagabriel
Concerning the propellers I did not understand exactly what the problem was, maybe you could go a bit into details.
Nothing wrong with the propellers themselves. It's just that they don't look like the real thing. Too thin and curvy in shape compared to what they really look like.

==================================================

EDIT: I uninstalled SH4, then reinstalled it. I patched it up to the latest version and installed the Ohio-class SSBN using the JSGME tool.
It finally works correctly now.

I'm guessing the reason it wasn't working previously was because I installed the Ohio-class SSBN manually, instead of using JSGME.

Thanks for your help tomagabriel!

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 03-02-09 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 05:33 AM   #15
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

@Kaye T. Bai

Glad it worked!

Concerning the propeller, the (classified) shape of the Ohio propeller is really hard to find anywhere on the web (I am not brave enough to try other information sources ))) ). There is however a satellite photo that shows a glimpse on the shape of the blades. They are rather thin and very curved (and huge). Probably I didn't get it 100% correct, but here is the picture I am talking about:

http://www.ogleearth.com/2007/08/microsofts_bird.html

There is another photo I have in which you can see the tip of a blade (looks definitely like a knife) and can also guess the shape of the blade under a covering curtain (don't know where to find this photo on the web now, I will search in my files and post it if somebody is interested).