Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-23-08, 10:35 AM   #1
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default Tanksim Squad for T-34 vs. Tiger online battles: signup sheet

Whatever the virtual tankers call themselves. I know some clans of RO have secondary units for that sim. But I'm wondering if there won't be a clan, sqd. plt, whatever, dedicated to WW2 Battle tanks. I don't think any sim that have tanks as a secondary player can really do it justice anyway.

I've always enjoyed being in a sqd. for the flight sims I've owned and I'm thinking that this will translate well if the multiplayer is as descibed.

Yeah, I'm jumping the gun, just pre-ordered from GoGamers.com and it never hurts to do some homework before committing oneself.

Old 10-23-08, 11:45 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Let's start one here, Tanksim squad. I'm in. You want to be the CO? What do we need to get started? Maybe we can start this thread as a sign up sheet.

I just played my first MP game in T-34 vs. Tiger against Magnum of SimHQ, it looks very promising. There is an easy mode that allows you to use your AI crew, and an expert mode where it's all you. With two players, no lag.

For a moment, I forgot why it's called "Deathmatch"

And then it came back to me!

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-23-08 at 12:57 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 01:37 PM   #3
Boats
Loader

Default I've been called out, lol.

OK I'll put my ambitions where my mouth is, I'll do the CO thing. I've done it before with the flight sims, there can't be too much difference. I'll just have to remember not to retract my gear.

First thing we need is information. Information only you have at this point. I wasn't going to sign up with any particular unit, clan, whatever, until I could see how the multiplayer worked. Is it feasible for a good team effort? Upon your word sir, hangs the fate of subsim's ....

Well, that's another matter needing to be addressed. Do you want it to be called a tank sqd, plt. clan, keeping with the original nature of subsim, a flotilla? We need a name. A tank plt has 4 tanks IIRC. How many can get into the server at one time?

Maybe Magnum can start a unit at simhq and we can have some friendly team matches.

Oh yeah, are we dedicated to one side or the other? I understand void skins are included so custom skins are possible.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 02:18 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Default This is how great things begin!

Quote:
First thing we need is information. Information only you have at this point. I wasn't going to sign up with any particular unit, clan, whatever, until I could see how the multiplayer worked. Is it feasible for a good team effort? Upon your word sir, hangs the fate of subsim's ....
I've played MP a couple hours so far and it seems stable, the chat works well, and the game has an option for disabling the AI crew and external views, so you can play it for action or for realism. I have not had a chance to put together a team yet, since only a few people have the game.

Quote:
Well, that's another matter needing to be addressed. Do you want it to be called a tank sqd, plt. clan, keeping with the original nature of subsim, a flotilla? We need a name. A tank plt has 4 tanks IIRC. How many can get into the server at one time?
Man, I would really like to call it Tanksim something, since we own that name and that is Subsim's sister site and would really tie in well with Tanksim's past online gaming clans (Spearhead, Panzer Elite). Whether we plays a a squad or platoon, maybe our name should refect our group; Tanksim Warriors, or Tanksim Company.

The game allows for 16 players in Skirmish (deathmatch) and team mode. Let me quote from the game manual to give you a better picture:

Quote:

From the initial multiplayer screen, you can start
hosting multiplayer sessions or join an existing
game of either Skirmish or Team Modes, enter a
player’s name, choose a tank and assign it a turret
number. TvsT supports up to 16 players via Direct-
Play or GameSpy Arcade.

5.2.1 Skirmish (free for all)
From the initial MP screen, you can change the
Session name to a more descriptive one, as well
as changing the Frag limit and Time limit settings.
Using zero (0) for either of those enables unlimited
frags and/or unlimited session time, respectively.
The available number of ‘’Slots’’ depends on the
map-size: 4-player maps thus have 4 slots available,
8-player maps 8 slots, and so forth. Slot options
include ‘’Open’’, ‘’Bot’’ or ‘’Closed’’, allowing
you to add AI controlled tanks (Bots), close them
to limit the amount of players joining, or open them to allow players to join.

Expert Mode allows you to host a session forcing all clients to not have external views available.

Bot Difficulty allows you to set how challenging your AI opponents in Skirmish mode will be.

Clicking ‘’Create’’ will start a Skirmish sessions that others can join by browsing for it.
5.2.2 Team Mode (red team against blue team)
From the Team Mode screen you can set up and
launch team multiplayer sessions.
Options regarding Player name, Vehicle selection
and turret numbering, Session name, Frag and
Time limits, as well as managing available ‘’Slots’’
are the same as in Skirmish mode, however, there
are no ‘bots’ in Team Mode!

Upon creating a Team Mode game, you are moved
into the Team Mode’s lobby.
The lobby is for players to join Team Mode sessions. Here they can select their team (red or blue),
and tanks, and assign turret numbers independently from Skirmish mode.
There is also a chat window for players to communicate prior to launching the session.
Note:
A team game can only be launched when
all open slots are occupied with human players.
You can always go back one screen and adjust
slot availability according to available players
joining your game.

Note:
Since players are able to choose either the
T-34 or the Tiger for any team, it essential to know
each team member’s tactics and the location of
their tanks to avoid killing teammates. Good communication
within the team is the key!

Clicking ‘’
Start’’ will launch the Team game when all players have joined, placing all team members’

tanks near the rally point.

Quote:
Maybe Magnum can start a unit at simhq and we can have some friendly team matches.
yeah, that would definitely be fun!

Quote:
Oh yeah, are we dedicated to one side or the other? I understand void skins are included so custom skins are possible.
Dedicated, as in you can only play as a Tanksim guy. No, I would think it would be better to keep it casual and let people join in as they wish, but that could be decided by the players, not me.

I will ask the devs about custon skins. I do know you can choose your tank number in MP.

Good ideas, keep them coming!
Neal (aka PanzerMax)
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 02:37 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I would like to join up! Neal has sold me on this game/sim and multiplayer could be excellent. This type of game really lends itself to multiplayer action. When is the game due out anyway?

Edit, I had to go back a read the recommended specs to play. I'm far above and beyond what is recommended.
Old 10-23-08, 02:52 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Stickied. Depending on the echo and popularity this receives, I'll leave it as a separate thread on its own, or attach it to the Resources-sticky in a couple of weeks. All of you guys: if you want this sticky staying visible, make the project an experience well alive!

The Management.
Old 10-23-08, 02:57 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Stickied, but are you in? :hmm: Come on, Sky, I want you on my team I don't want you shooting at me.

Warhawk, their "firm" release date was Oct 17, then Oct 24, we'll see.
Old 10-23-08, 03:01 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Excellent! BTW, I roll with the T-34.
Old 10-23-08, 03:26 PM   #9
Boats
Loader

"Dedicated, as in you can only play as a Tanksim guy."
I think you're saying no duel memberships with another tank clan. I agree.

But what I meant was dedicated to a German or Soviet tank unit? If we stay casual I guess it wouldn't matter as long as we had some markings that identified us (custom skins). I mean, if we are allowed the tank we want then target Identification would not be by sillouette alone. Dayglow T34 anyone?
Or we could decide to do both and switch back and forth as the situation dictates.

I was thinking that we could have both historical campaigns where we use realistic settings, but also a time where we just do the ultra casual thing. Anyone can partake of either or both.

I got ahead of myself. I should have asked, can we write our own online missions? If so we can have a historical coop campaign. This can be casual, mid-casual or tightly realistic. If this thing takes off then we might expect to see other units pop up and that might mean having to adapt to whomever we're playing. That is, if someone comes up with ladder matches like in IL2.

Or we could cooperate with another clan and write our own campaign. Roll of the dice sets the map up, like a board game.

Can the ingame comms divide the sides like team speak does?

I'm hoping my machine can handle this game as well. I noticed the requirements are the same across the board. Minimum and recommended. I have a hard time translating what the processor requirements are into duel core speak.
So we have half a name then... Tanksim something, or something Tanksim.

Edited, I posted this before I read Warhawk's post as I was apparrently writing it as he posted. We have one vote for T34's (Soviet side). German units were known to have used captured T34's. But I'm thinking if a lot of clans begin cropping up the majority of them will probably be German clans as German tanks are Kwell (did I get that right?). So if we dedicate ourselves to the Soviet side we most likely won't be at a loss to find a good game. That is if we go down the road of defining ourselves as one side or the other. Then again we could have both sides represented by Tanksim guys/gals as was the case with SH2 and Destroyer Commander.

Edited again. here's the link for Gogamer's page. They're saying the 31st.
http://www.gogamer.com/WWII-Battle-T...VVviewprod.htm

Last edited by Boats; 10-23-08 at 03:39 PM.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 05:28 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Stickied, but are you in? :hmm: Come on, Sky, I want you on my team I don't want you shooting at me.

Warhawk, their "firm" release date was Oct 17, then Oct 24, we'll see.
Ha, I currently do not even know if I will get this game, or the other one, or none of both. Even SBP I do not play online.

Hey, I never play online! I'm just a shy boy.

I recommend to advertise at simHQ. They have famous online events for ArmA and RFactor running. They plan to be back online this weekend, their info screen says. Wether it all functions then is something different!

Release: a huge German game seller lists release now as 27th Oct (www.okaysoft.de)
Old 10-24-08, 01:00 AM   #11
Terraneer
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hi all!

I am willing to sign up and join you guys in a group.

My preferences would be:
Difficulty: Realistic
Side: Soviet

Thanks to Boats for leading me to this thread.

S!
Terraneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 01:07 AM   #12
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkybirdRelease: a huge German game seller lists release now as 27th Oct ([URL="http://www.okaysoft.de)"
www.okaysoft.de)[/url]
The publishers website (Lighthouse Interactive) lists Oct 24 as the release date, so this sounds pretty realistic.

The game can still only be pre-ordered from their website as of today.....
Old 10-24-08, 01:44 AM   #13
BadKarma1001
Mate

Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkybirdRelease: a huge German game seller lists release now as 27th Oct ([URL="http://www.okaysoft.de)"
www.okaysoft.de)[/url]
The publishers website (Lighthouse Interactive) lists Oct 24 as the release date, so this sounds pretty realistic.

The game can still only be pre-ordered from their website as of today.....
Well, i pre-ordered the game from the publishers shop. Let´s see when they ship. I hope i don´t regret it but anyway play.com also still has the game up for pre-order and not "in stock".

I am very excited about the multiplayer even more since i read in the review that there are only12 missions in total, which is some kind of a big bummer.
Hope to see many of you guys on the virtual battlefield!
BadKarma1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 02:38 AM   #14
Herr_Pete
Commodore

Downloads: 102

Hey there guys. Is there a certain program you are using to show servers ?? I have been using the In game 1 and there are no servers.

any help would be great!

Thanks
Herr_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 03:33 AM   #15
fivetide
Tanker

Downloads: 0

I'm sure we can give you a full 8 player side on http://www.t34vtiger.com as soon as everyone gets the game.. hopeing today ! We also have a 50 slot TS server with team channels and we are putting in a challenge / tourney MOD so we can create some competitions/team invites etc.. most of us are PE player from the 90's and treadhead mad lol S! hope to see some of you on the battle field
fivetide is offline   Reply With Quote