Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-08, 08:36 AM   #1
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0
Default Discovery Channel special: Satellite Shootdown

Discovery's "Military Channel" is showing a special on the U.S. Navy's February shootdown of a top-secret spy satellite.

Showtimes are:

Jul 20, 8:00 pm & 11 pm (US Eastern)
Jul 21, 3:00 am
Jul 23, 9:00 pm
Jul 24, 12:00 am, 4:00 am, & 5:00 pm
Jul 26, 12:00 pm & 5:00 pm
Jul 30, 2:00 pm

More details at the Discovery Channel website:

http://military.discovery.com/tv/sat...shootdown.html

(BTW, I don't get Military Channel, so if anyone is able to record this for me, I'll be very grateful!)

Last edited by Bill Nichols; 07-19-08 at 09:03 AM.
Bill Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 08:39 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Cool!

Now if I just had fancy-schmancy TV I could watch it.
Old 07-19-08, 08:52 AM   #3
rifleman13
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

I hope they show it soon here in SE Asia!

It's just awesome to see something shot down from space!
rifleman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 09:50 AM   #4
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 0

Just before showtime, the Discovery channel satellite is accidentally blown up by the U.S. Marine Corps' attempt at a similar weapon. Then, just for fun, the satellite hits a miraculously uncrashed V-22 Osprey on the way down.

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 01:44 PM   #5
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderseaLcpl
Just before showtime, the Discovery channel satellite is accidentally blown up by the U.S. Marine Corps' attempt at a similar weapon. Then, just for fun, the satellite hits a miraculously uncrashed V-22 Osprey on the way down.
Hey man - the Ospreys are proving themselves big time! You're giving them a bad rap when they are having better time on line than helicopters now!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9845473-7.html

-S
Old 07-19-08, 04:25 PM   #6
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Hey man - the Ospreys are proving themselves big time! You're giving them a bad rap when they are having better time on line than helicopters now!

-S

Oh I know. I was actually a proponent of it it back when everyone still hated it. That doesn't exclude it from me making fun of it though.

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 03:08 AM   #7
moose1am
Frogman

Default Osprey is cool in my book

I always thought that the osprey concept was good. They carry more cargo, they go faster and farther than the other helicopters they are replacing.

Any helicopter is subject to crashing.

Hopefully they have all the kinks worked out on the Ospreys now.

I just wish that those making military hardware would not charge the tax payers (US military) so high of a price. The prices we pay for maintaining our defense is pretty high. But we can't afford not to have the best military in the world.

I hope that we maintain and improve our ability to shoot enemy missiles out of the sky. Some day we may have to defend this country from Nuclear War head tipped ballistic missile and I hope we are successful at that.

My fear is that the Chinese can now shoot down our satellites. We now need to build satellites that can defend themselves form Chinese missiles somehow. Either they an shoot back at an incoming missile or move out of it's way somehow.

But our GPS Satellites are vulnerable and our entire military won't know where they are if the GPS satellites get shot down and put out of operation.

What good will guide precision ammo be without a gps signal to guide it onto the targets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderseaLcpl

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9845473-7.html

-S

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 09:23 AM   #8
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Wow! This topic went off-subject after only 3 posts! Thanks to Moose1am to bring it back in line.

Old 07-20-08, 11:25 AM   #9
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1am
But our GPS Satellites are vulnerable and our entire military won't know where they are if the GPS satellites get shot down and put out of operation.
GPS sure is handy. However I hope that our military is not putting themselves in a position of mission failure if GPS goes out. Putting all our eggs in that fragile basket is not good stratgery.

GPS should be our first choice, but we need other backup choices for when (not if) GPS goes down. I understand there is a new technology called "maps". It is a hardcopy representation of the area of interest. Pretty promising technology I think.

Having our weapon systems locked into GPS as well as the ability to move our troops is a vulnerability that needs to be mitigated with backup plans.
Old 07-22-08, 05:31 PM   #10
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

So, has anybody seen this Discovery special, yet? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 07-22-08, 06:02 PM   #11
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

D.B. Cooper couldn't have Hijacked this thread any better Bill. :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 08:07 PM   #12
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
So, has anybody seen this Discovery special, yet? Inquiring minds want to know...

It was alright. What would you like to know?

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 10:25 AM   #13
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

I agree: the program was alright. I knew it wouldn't go into extreme detail, but I thought it was well-paced and didn't waste much time with peripheral non-matters.

The most interesting thing I found in the hour was the retooling of the Aegis system so that it could actually intercept the satellite, and pinpoint the fuel tank specifically for a kinetic hit. This had to be done in a matter of weeks (was it six?), so the people at Raytheon, etc had their work cut out for them. The ship's crew who would be launching the missile also had to train for the assigned mission; others will know more about their "standard" training than I do, but for a specific event you need specific training.

It was also good to see the immense pride all involved had in the project, whether the crewmen aboard ship or the Aegis programmers. Everyone wanted to be extremely precise about not only hitting the satellite, but where the debris would re-enter after deorbitting. The program goes into the political considerations of shooting down the dead satellite in the shadow of an apparentally "willy-nilly" Chinese demonstration.

Also, the program gave brief information on orbital mechanics that probably won't be outside the grasp of most viewers. Basically, if a viewer understands that orbitting objects move faster when closer to a body than when further away, they'll be okay. No words like "apogee/apoapsis" or "perigee/periapsis" that I detected; the only technical rendezvous term I caught was about terminal phase. It touched on the matter of time windows when the satellite would be close to perigee while also illuminated by the sun and reflecting thermal energy for the Aegis missile's seeker since the satellite itself was dead; the fact that the Earth rotates, etc. Equatorial inclinations were eluded to but not explained, as the Aegis-carrying ship began immediately travelling to a secondary launch-point after the first hit in case a backup shot was necessary.

Basically, I would give it... call it 6.5 out of 10. It's worth watching and wastes very little time, the interviews are good although brief, but I could always go with more detail even though I do feel that the amount of detail presented in the one-hour running was chosen wisely and presented clearly.
Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote