SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-08, 02:59 PM   #1
von hally
Commodore

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Uboat Distress Messages And Sinking Reports.

lo all fellow kaleuns.

thought id release this to my fellow kaleuns here on this forum in case anyone would be interested in it.

after months of continually taking and taking from the excellent modders out there...i began to think of giving something...no matter how small...back to the community.

now, im no computer whizz so this is just a wee update.

i had a thought after d/l Danurves excellent message mod. and also Wreford-browns....that these gave excellent immersion when in your
career.
as immersion is the name of the game..i got to thinking about messages of u-boats meeting their fate.

u-boats at sea DID intercept the distressing last messages from other u-boats in trouble. giving mutch alarm and anger to the crews that recieved them.

well this mod gives us these messages.

now during your campaign...you will "intercept" messages from doomed u-boats under attack etc...and gives us the impotus to attack the enemy with more vigour!!!!

the messages will be short and to the point...as commanders obviously had little time to fire off messages while being attacked.

during my research...i found that these messages were pretty similar and ominous!!!

i started researching the dates and u-boat numbers that lost their lives during the war and found to my astonishment that Danurves
"new messages only" file that came with his mod had most of the correct dates and u-boat numbers there already!!! truly painstaking and dedicated work from him again!!.

i asked Danurve if he would let me modify his amazing work and he kindly accepted.

the dates and numbers of boats sunk are historically accurate as best as i can get them... the reasons for the sinkings are as close as accurate as i could get them too.

obviously many boats simply never returned to port. for this ive had to use my imagination and sent a report to your boat from bdu explaining the loss!!!.

install instructions and credits to all that helped are in the readme...but here on the forum i must thank Wreford-Brown.

his patience , critical eye , and understanding went beyond just helping a kaleun!!!. and all at a time of great personal upheaval to him!!!

He'll never know how mutch his help was appreciated.

The mod i've released...albeit a small one...would have been reworked a dozen times if it werent for wrefords advice.

its available now at the address below.

now remember your mission: Attack. Persue. Destroy

http://hosted.filefront.com/vonhally/

von hally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 06:26 PM   #2
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Downloaded. Thanks for your work!
Old 07-07-08, 10:10 AM   #3
von hally
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronas
Downloaded. Thanks for your work!

your very welcome.

any probs then let me know

Old 07-07-08, 10:53 AM   #4
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 11:09 AM   #5
Laufen zum Ziel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 853
Uploads: 457

Downloaded,

Very nice thank you

BTW: Great to see all the credits you have given
Old 07-07-08, 01:54 PM   #6
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657

S!
Superb work....Thanks a lot that really adds a realistic feeling to the game and helps you on those long waitng period when nothing his happening to your patrol

Bravo
Old 07-07-08, 02:01 PM   #7
von hally
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgneface
S!
Superb work....Thanks a lot that really adds a realistic feeling to the game and helps you on those long waitng period when nothing his happening to your patrol

Bravo
thanks for the good feedback.

the mod isnt that big....as you obviously cant be at sea 365 days a year....so it fits in well if you have a large message mod or a light one currently installed........
...though saying that...it didn't feel small when i was writing every line.....me hand near fell off:rotfl: :rotfl:

Old 07-07-08, 02:23 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Will try this in one of the installs...cheers

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 03:47 PM   #9
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Excellent! Now if only someone would merge this with the "Radiolog_Expanded_V2" mod...

Old 11-26-08, 05:08 AM   #10
balto63
Helmsman

Downloads: 57
Default Question about merging with Radiolog_Expanded

The "distress and sinking messages" can be copied at the end of the file or they must be inserted between the other messages in the accurate order of date and time ?
I've yet deleted the similar messages as explained in readme.

TIA

P.s. dramatic mod .... you can be the next in a couple of day

P.s. of the P.s. what a joy I'm a nurse now :rotfl:

Last edited by balto63; 11-26-08 at 05:10 AM.
balto63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 09:49 AM   #11
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Cool mod thanks.
Old 11-26-08, 10:51 AM   #12
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Greetings; If you have a good quality text editor like TextPad* you can open RL_E then do a search/mark/delete for the lines you want to replace. Then paste von hally's mod at then end. I would suggest after that to do a [menu] - sort/ascending. The game will read the file with lines not in (date) order, but with over 10,000 lines I think this helps the game read the file easier.
Being text mods if you 'merge' them you may end up with message duplicates. Won't hurt anything but it could be distracting. One more note on editing the messages file; don't word wrap!
Btw; von hally is correct, the work on the mod was tedious and painstaking. And I have been defensive about that. Not to mention feeling spent. I would like to try and look at RL_E now as something of a base or core. Where it works fine by itself but if someone creates improved / alternate quality group of messages then why not share them. Where and when credit is given it works out I think. RL_E also carrys another torch, it is a huge expansion of IrishRed's original work. And I hope that it has 'filled the message gaps' sufficiently for the game.

*The bulk of my radiolog expasion work was done using TextPad. Even the trial version can easily handle any edits for personal use. I spit on windows notepad.
Old 11-26-08, 11:26 AM   #13
von hally
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danurve
Btw; von hally is correct, the work on the mod was tedious and painstaking. And I have been defensive about that. Not to mention feeling spent. I would like to try and look at RL_E now as something of a base or core. Where it works fine by itself but if someone creates improved / alternate quality group of messages then why not share them. Where and when credit is given it works out I think. RL_E also carrys another torch, it is a huge expansion of IrishRed's original work. And I hope that it has 'filled the message gaps' sufficiently for the game.

*The bulk of my radiolog expasion work was done using TextPad. Even the trial version can easily handle any edits for personal use. I spit on windows notepad.

Dont want to get all mushy Danurve but it was your mod that got me into the idea in the first place.
I know how you felt when i began thinking about merging it with your mod...and asking for your sinking reports to be removed.....i would have felt quite protective of sutch a long painstaiking labour of love myself. i'm glad you agreed to allow it in mate....i think it sits well....i hope the readme for everyone wasn't too complex....but you just put it more clearly above!!!

respect

Old 11-26-08, 11:43 AM   #14
richardphat
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17

:p more realism into the games. Merci for the works
richardphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 06:19 PM   #15
Hellraiser
Gunner

Downloads: 82
Default Thanks

It may be a 'wee' mod, but sometimes little things can produce big immersion-value.

Many thanks for your hard work.
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote