SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-08, 01:24 PM   #1
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default [REL]Thomsen's No Instant DeathScreen Mod V1.3

Hi there

For those who use this mod, I've made a fix changes and corrections:

- No more fire and smoke effect on taking damage (even after fixing the damage the smoke didn't go away)
- More balanced damage to the compartments (for instance, right and left engine can take different amounts of damage)
- External parts (periscopes, snorkel, flaks, rudders, planes, propellers) can be snapped off individually and more acuratelly during depth charges. (They don't just disappear, you can see them sinking away)
- Shorter flooding times. Now you really gotta worry about fixing it fast, like in RL. But it depends on how bad was the damage. A blast of a DC not too close and you might have 10 or 20 minutes to fix the leak. A very close blast and you'll have less then one minute. Some blasts won't cause floodings, depending on the distance and the location of the explosion.
- More accurate sinking due to flooding.
- Compatibility with Rubini's Water Stream

I've tried to supress the mission end due to compartment fully flooded and I think I found the answer. I was able to continue playing for over a minute with a compartment fully flooded. But the consequence to that is... well... imortality. You won't have flood at all, and almost no damage also. I discovered that once the flood reaches the top, the compartment start loosing hitpoints, VERY FAST! Once they are zero, the crew inside dies and mission ends. I increased the compartment hitpoints to a very larger number, so it gave me a little more time to watch what was happening after the crew was dead, but in the end the deathscreen poped up anyway. To get the flooding to happen with that amount of hitpoints, two depth charges had to explode after touching my decks, and that would have to be death. But instead, I got minimal flooding and nothing damaged or destroyed. Almost half-hour to the flood to reach the top, so this is no good. The ideal would be to find the trigger that controls the amount of damage that flooding does to a compartment, and change it to a very small number, so the crew can die inside but not the whole uboat.

Anybody with ideas about that, please talk to me!

The mod is uploaded into my FF-page.
Old 04-09-08, 01:05 AM   #2
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Nobody has noticed this, except for me?

I can't speak for the rest of these bums...

...but I am very glad you're still working on this, PT!

I can hardly wait to try it out and I will as soon as I finish my current patrol that I promised myself I wouldn't restart again.

Once again, another masterpiece from one of the great masters of the craft!

I'm looking forward to future versions, Philipp!
Old 04-09-08, 08:53 PM   #3
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

I noticied it too, but i don´t have enough time to test it now. i must wait until the weekend.

But keep up your good work , i think that this mod is one of the most interestings in gameplay and inmersion.

good work

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 05:29 AM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Downloaded as soon as posted. Just waiting until I return to port to install since it is now compatible with Rubini's Water Stream mod. Way to go!
Old 04-12-08, 01:41 PM   #5
NiKuTa
Ensign

Downloads: 138

Is this mod compatibile with new ver of water streams V4 ?
NiKuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 02:28 PM   #6
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKuTa
Is this mod compatibile with new ver of water streams V4 ?
It will be always compatible with Rubini's mod, coz mine uses only zone.cfg and sub.zon files, and Rubini dont use any of those.
Old 04-13-08, 07:22 AM   #7
NiKuTa
Ensign

Downloads: 138

I ask becouse ver1.2 have a sim files too. 1.3 ver dont have it, now i see that
NiKuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 10:54 AM   #8
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKuTa
I ask becouse ver1.2 have a sim files too. 1.3 ver dont have it, now i see that
Exactly!
Old 05-06-08, 03:30 PM   #9
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

im a little confused...so does this mod make you invulnerable? looks cool but am having a hard time following the bottom paragraph...sounds like you are saying under certain depth charge conditions, your sub will not die..am I reading this right?
supposedtobeworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 04:40 PM   #10
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking
im a little confused...so does this mod make you invulnerable? looks cool but am having a hard time following the bottom paragraph...sounds like you are saying under certain depth charge conditions, your sub will not die..am I reading this right?
Give it a test and you'll understand!
Old 08-04-08, 07:54 PM   #11
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

I think many months ago i post in a similar thread with the same subject , my post was more or less as follow , in a SH3 game long ago,the small radio room compartment was damaged and become full of water ,after that as usual i was waiting the quick dead screen , but the sub went ahead with the small radio room compartment fully flooded without problem , already dont remember what happened later , but was possible to play that game for many many many minutes with the radio room fully flooded
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 10:50 PM   #12
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk
I think many months ago i post in a similar thread with the same subject , my post was more or less as follow , in a SH3 game long ago,the small radio room compartment was damaged and become full of water ,after that as usual i was waiting the quick dead screen , but the sub went ahead with the small radio room compartment fully flooded without problem , already dont remember what happened later , but was possible to play that game for many many many minutes with the radio room fully flooded
thats odd... :hmm:

i tried to do something like that in this mod, but i wasnt sure on the results... the radioroom is the smaller one, so i guess its possible..

are you sure of this? are you sure it was totally flooded? the countdown timer was at zero seconds for a long time? what happened later?
Old 08-05-08, 07:52 AM   #13
pkl75
Sailor man

Downloads: 105

P.T., is this mod on the works still or do you feel that there are no big issues left?

I ask only because I haven't played with this yet but I am interested to try and test.
pkl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:44 AM   #14
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkl75
P.T., is this mod on the works still or do you feel that there are no big issues left?

I ask only because I haven't played with this yet but I am interested to try and test.
I'm not modding for sh3 anymore... lack of interest...

besides my old rig didn't run sh3 very well, so it was kind of a pain in the ass to mod and play.

but my new rig is finally here, except for the ram memory, which shall arrive this week. then im thinking of start modding, but not for sh3, but to sh4.
Old 08-05-08, 09:34 AM   #15
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk
thats odd... :hmm:

i tried to do something like that in this mod, but i wasnt sure on the results... the radioroom is the smaller one, so i guess its possible..

are you sure of this? are you sure it was totally flooded? the countdown timer was at zero seconds for a long time? what happened later?
Yes I am sure , even the two radioman inside the small radio room become red dead ,
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote